Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-28-2006   #1
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bruce Matthews HOF

First vote, no problem.

Quote:
CANTON, Ohio -- Running back Terrell Davis and offensive lineman Bruce Matthews are among the first-time nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Davis played just seven seasons in Denver, but the former sixth-round draft pick was a key part of the Broncos' two championship teams. He was the Super Bowl MVP for his three touchdowns against Green Bay in 1998.

Matthews' skill and durability enabled him to play in 14 Pro Bowls during a 19-year career with the Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans.

Davis and Matthews are being considered with 109 other former players, coaches and contributors. The list, which was announced Friday, will be reduced to 15 finalists along with Cleveland Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Detroit Lions tight end Charlie Sanders, who were selected in August by the Hall of Fame's senior selection committee.

The final vote will be in Miami on Feb. 3, the day before the Super Bowl. Three to six new members will be selected.

The other first-time nominees are quarterback Randall Cunningham; running back Ricky Watters; offensive linemen Randall McDaniel, Mark Stepnoski and Steve Wisniewski; and defensive backs Eric Allen, LeRoy Butler and Carnell Lake.

Recently retired commissioner Paul Tagliabue is a nominee for the second time, and wide receiver Michael Irvin and running back Thurman Thomas are among the finalists from last year who will be considered again.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2640842

Matthews should be in there with no problems, same with Davis and Thomas and Irvin. Cunningham though? Never really payed attention to him but even with all the hype he never struck me as a HOFer.
Old 10-28-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bruce Matthews HOF

Does Davis have the numbers? I remember him being a great back, but I don't recall his career being all that long.

Matthews is a no-brainer. Dude is the epitome of what an awesome offensive lineman should be about.
Old 10-28-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why but I am not really impressed with this class.

Mathews Yes.. but like you DB, I wonder about if some players really have the numbers...

besides Mathews I just want to and not sure why... maybe because the other players played on teams that I didn't like so my hatred is still there.. don't know
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA View Post
First vote, no problem.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2640842

Matthews should be in there with no problems, same with Davis and Thomas and Irvin. Cunningham though? Never really payed attention to him but even with all the hype he never struck me as a HOFer.
Matthews is a no-brainer too me. I don't think Terrell Davis did it long enough. He was great back, but he was only great for a couple of years. I think he's a borderline HOF. Eventually he might get in, but I don't think he'll get in this year. Irvin, as much as I dislike the guy as a broadcaster and his big mouth, was an amazing player. He should have been a first ballot HOF. I don't think Cunningham is a HOF. He was a very good QB, but when I saw him play I didn't think he was a HOF like I did John Elway, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, etc...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #5
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the thing with Davis is that while he didn't have a long career he's credited with being that final piece in the Denver puzzle for their Super Bowl runs. I think his career will be measured by the impact he had on the team rather than it being cut short by something out of his control (wasn't it his kness that went bad?).
Old 10-28-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Does Davis have the numbers? I remember him being a great back, but I don't recall his career being all that long.

Matthews is a no-brainer. Dude is the epitome of what an awesome offensive lineman should be about.
Agreed. I believe Davis will get in eventually. I also believe there is a bottle neck with the list now. I'm looking at the list and just pairing down the o-lineman will be a chore. Mathews should get in and has the numbers. Gotta figure only seven will make it. Making the pro bowl at three different positions and making the all decade team has to give Bruce the edge to get in. But again, there's a bottle neck now. Warren & Squatty just went in...I wouldn't say it's a lock for first ballot. Will say he deserves it. Great list. Glad I don't have to choose.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-29-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I put Davis in the HOF if it's up to me. I tend to think he belongs in there right next to Elway who would not have two rings if not for the contributions of Terrell Davis. I make my case like this.

Gayle Sayers is in the HOF.

Terrell Davis played for 7 years just like Gayle Sayers.

Terrell Davis ran for 7607 (4.6 avg) in his 7 seasons, Gayle Sayers ran for 4956 (5.0 avg) in the same time frame.

Terrell Davis broke 2000 yards in a season and broke 1000 yards four times. Sayers most productive (14 game) year was 1231 yards. He only went over 1000 yards twice.

Terrell Davis has 2 rings, Gayle Sayers didn't get one at all. That's not really a fair criteria but you have to admit that it's taken into account where getting into the HOF is concerned.

In those two Super Bowls Terrell Davis produced. He broke a hundred yards in both games (30 carries for 157 yards in the first one followed by 25 carries for 102 yards in the second). In fact he played in 8 post season games from 1996 to 1998 and he only failed to go over 100 yards in one of them. That game he ran for 91 yards. Terrell Davis did not dissappear in big games. Davis showed up every time.

I don't think there's any question that Terrell Davis belongs in the HOF but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2006   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Comparing Sayers and TD straight up stats-wise is necessary but definitely not all telling, considering how different the game was in 1965 compared to 1995.

Looking at stats, then Drew Bledsoe is a lock for the HOF, as are guys like Corey Dillon and Ricky Watters....

In Sayers favor is the way he burst on the scene. His all around exceptional ability as a running back, kick returner, and reciever was something the NFL had never seen before. He really was a legend in his own time - a man among boys (along with Jim Brown) - who were individually dominating and without peer during that brief period in league history.

TD was a really good and highly productive RB with eye popping numbers during that one season in particular (98?). Denver had a lot of talent on those teams ---Elway, TD, a couple of 1000 yard receivers.... their O was a well oiled machine.

Sayers was a remarkable player on some mediocre at best Bears teams that were otherwise void of offensive talent. Butkus would probably agree.

Too bad ACL repair and rehab weren't quite as good in 1969 as they are now. We may have seen more of Sayers than we did.

If it takes a lot of debate, then the player may not be worthy. Injury shortened careers always adds to the riddle.

TD is definitely worthy of being in the discussion, but he's not a lead pipe lock.

I think Matthews and Tagliabue are no-brainers.

As is the case for every HOF candidate. Someone on the committee will have to take up the cause of the borderline guys and present their case and argument.

Last edited by aj.; 10-29-2006 at 07:48 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #9
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Bruce Matthews is a definate first pick. What a great player he was. I really enjoyed watching him. The other name that will probably make it is Thurman Thomas. I thought that he was pretty darned good.
Old 02-03-2007   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

He's one of the 17 finalists.

Quote:
MIAMI — Offensive lineman Bruce Matthews and running back Thurman Thomas, two of the greatest players in NFL history, are among 17 finalists for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame today.

After meeting for close to six hours at the Miami Beach Convention Center, the 40-member selection committee will vote on the Class of 2007.

Matthews (1983-2001), who was voted to 14 Pro Bowls during his 19-year career, including 14 with the Oilers, is in his first year of eligibility.

"I'm excited, awed and humbled," Matthews said Friday. "Naturally, I'd love to be elected, but it's an honor to be a finalist.

"I've always considered myself a student of the game, and when I look at the list of finalists, I realize how tough the vote will be. If I don't make it, I'll certainly understand why. I'll harbor no bitterness."

Under the Hall of Fame's bylaws, the committee can vote for as many as six and as few as three.

Matthews, Gene Hickerson (senior nominee), Gary Zimmerman, Bob Kuechenberg and Russ Grimm are the five offensive linemen among the 17 finalists.

"I believe that Bruce should be in the Hall of Fame because I think he's one of the five greatest offensive linemen in history," said quarterback Warren Moon, Matthews' former teammate who was inducted last year. "I don't know of a lineman who was as versatile as Bruce was. Not only was he so versatile, but he was an outstanding player at guard, center and tackle.

"I know I wouldn't have accomplished what I did with the Oilers if it weren't for Bruce."....
chronic 2/3/07
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

mathews should be one of the easiest first ballots ever. he'll stand forever as arguably the best offensive lineman in NFL history. Tags will probably also make it because of how big the NFL's become during his time.

i cant give it to terrell davis. i know he got 2 rings, but he only played 4 seasons. while they were good, that's not enough of a sample to put him in the same breathe with guys like jim brown and walter payton. TD came onto a built team with arguably the best run blocking ... he was just the final piece to an already championship caliber team. IF he gets in, it'll be because of his postseason performance.

edit: well, guess i missed the induction threads ... was right about mathews in & TD out, wrong on tags.

Last edited by Scooter; 02-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #12
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

The newest members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame are: Gene Hickerson, Michael Irvin, Bruce Matthews, Charlie Sanders, Thurman Thomas and Roger Wehrli.

http://eagles.aolsportsblog.com/2007...rs-thomas-weh/

Old 02-03-2007   #13
Charter PSL Fan
Rookie

Congratulations to Matthews the greatest OL man ever. Irvin the crackhead was the best push off artist ever.
Charter PSL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Matthews is a no-brainer too me. I don't think Terrell Davis did it long enough. He was great back, but he was only great for a couple of years. I think he's a borderline HOF. Eventually he might get in, but I don't think he'll get in this year. Irvin, as much as I dislike the guy as a broadcaster and his big mouth, was an amazing player. He should have been a first ballot HOF. I don't think Cunningham is a HOF. He was a very good QB, but when I saw him play I didn't think he was a HOF like I did John Elway, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, etc...
Davis will be interesting. He played 7 yrs--7607yds/65 tds. Earl Campbell had 1 yr longer w/9407yds and 74 tds. Without a doubt, Campbell was helped by the fact 'everyone loved him' including the sports writers, and he gave everything he had on every play--absolute team player. Remember, he was one of the first RB's to 'treat' his OL to meals/gifts to thank them--very humble player.

The interesting RB picked on the first ballot was Gale Sayers, who only played 5 full NFL seasons--only gained 90 total yds his 6th/7th years. His #'s for his first 5 yrs were 4956 yds/39 tds.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #15
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter PSL Fan View Post
Congratulations to Matthews the greatest OL man ever. Irvin the crackhead was the best push off artist ever.
yeah Congrats to Matthews.
Old 02-03-2007   #16
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter PSL Fan View Post

BRUUUUUUUCE! Hope this means I get one last summer of seeing the Columbia fly again!
Old 02-03-2007   #17
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

congrats to Bruce, the NFLs only true IRONMAN...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read