Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-28-2006   #1
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Official Take the OLT Thread

I like Joe Thomas a lot. Watched the last two games and think he is a great prospect. Two things I noticed while watching him. First if you'll notice, they rarely cover the guy with a TE. On pass plays, he not only covers his responsiblities, if you watch his head, he's checking out the other five guys blocking in the pocket,befor he goes gets his assignment. In other words he is so good in pass prtection he has the time to make sure the pocket is ok, then he goes and takes care of his business. Just a very , very speciall guy. Watch the Wisconsin Highlights tonight, on the screen pass to #43, watch 72's head. I'm very impressed. I was worried about the knee. But it looks ok to me.

Saw #55 Cooley a couple of games for So. Mississippi. He looks like a zbs canidate to me. I know we're loaded at gaurd right now. Just saying. Very quick feet with very nice guns. Nice rump, very quick feet. Gets to the second level with easy . Makes great blocks there and seals the seam with attitude and athority. If he's close to a 5.0 forty and does the cone drills in the top five, I'd like to see him on the team. If we don't take him I bet he ends up with Denver.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official Take the OLT Thread

Well, the top guys are:

Thomas, Gaither, Baker, Brown.

Thomas and Gaither I have rated higher than D'brick was last year. I have Gaither over Thomas. Baker is very similar to Winston Justice last year in that they are both insanely, athleticly, gifted OLTs who have yet to put it together really. Brown is more along the lines of McNeil from Auburn. Brown is a house who is pretty steady, but I thought McNeil was a better prospect than I think Brown is. All 4 of these guys have 1st round talent. Thomas and Gaither have top 10 talent, and one will probally go top 5.
Old 10-29-2006   #3
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

We arnt going to be drafting in the top 5, top 10, and possibly outside of the first half. Better start looking at good players, not the absolute elite of next years draft class because we arnt going to be in a position to draft them (thankfully!)
Old 10-29-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we have our future tackles in Winston and Spencer? I never thought I'd say this, but our biggest need isn't on the offensive line. Secondary is. Then linebacker. Then a running back. Then maybe O-line.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Don't we have our future tackles in Winston and Spencer? I never thought I'd say this, but our biggest need isn't on the offensive line. Secondary is. Then linebacker. Then a running back. Then maybe O-line.
I'm not going to dooms day Spencer. Will say if he comes back to near what he was by the spring mini camp, I'll be amazed. There's a reason Eric has not beaten out either Salaam or Weigert for playing time. Unlike previous years there are great prospects on the board this draft. Salaam was never ment to carry the o-line, not for ten or twelve games any way. Salaam was ment to be just a capable back up when someone got nicked for a couple of games.

Therefor, if you have three prime canidates, four if Gaither comes out, at a position that is dubious at best...has been dubious since Boselli spit the bit, it seems to me that you take the best guy on the board. You never know when this type of opportunity will come again. I mean some of us have been waiting for five years to do this. Always be stud RB's, Free Safties, LB's in the draft. But this situation is rare to have this many prime OLT's bunched together. We'll be in a position to get one. We should do it. But hey, that's just me. After Carrs preformance this season with adiquate tallent around him, it seems to me you would want to lock that in for the next several years. Dominate tackle seals the deal with our offensive line. JMHO. Not sure you can say that with all day or the defensive pick. Will they solidify their portion of the team that we won't have to worry about it for several years ? I think the d is more than one pick away don't you ? We get the tackle we'll be in the middle of the pack in offensive production. That'll be a big piece for the '08 play off run.
Old 10-29-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
We arnt going to be drafting in the top 5, top 10, and possibly outside of the first half. Better start looking at good players, not the absolute elite of next years draft class because we arnt going to be in a position to draft them (thankfully!)
Well I don't know if Vegas has a Salaam line yet. What I will say if his legs hold the rest of the season, you'll be a bloody Einstien. If Eric is starting or they move Pitts back outside because of injury, my money says we'll be in the upper third of the draft. We'll be close enough to close this five year old festering wound and stop the hemorhaging. I know there's a lotta Carr hate out there, but come on how many years do we leave the guy dangeling to the whipping post ?
Time to solidify the line. Bite the bullet. Get 'er done.
Old 10-29-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the reason why the Texans look & LT with their 1st pick is that 2007- its a deep year for them headed by Joe Thomas (who will be gone by the time the Texans draft, hopefully in the sense the Texans are a better team now & pick outside). Of couse it all hinges on the underclassman who declare intentions to enter the draft. But the very real possiblity exists that when the Texans pick the best player it will actually be a LT, which is still a need. Win the war in the trenches & the Texans continue to win more games ( DT in the 2nd or 3rd would be kinda nice too).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, lets break down the potential talents in the draft as we see it thus far.

I'll assume we are picking 12th for good nature. This is where I think they will fall ahead of the 12th pick.

QB: Locks: Quinn, Bohm. Bubble: Stanton, Henne, Smith
RB: Locks: AP, Lynch. Bubble: none IMO
WR: Locks: Johnson, Jarrett Bubble: Rice, Ginn, Smith, Swede, Sazmenjadzjeda or w/e.
TE: Locks: none. Bubble: Olsen
OT: Locks: Thomas. Bubble: Gaither, Brown, Baker
OG: Locks: none Bubble: none 1st round potential: OG from UT
DE: Locks: Adams Bubble: Moses
DT: Locks: none Bubble: Okam, guy from OSU
LB: Locks: Plouz Bubble: Willis, Blades, Davis
S: Locks: none Bubble: Landry, Merriwehter, Griffin

So I count 9 locks by my list, and you know there will be players that rise like the sun at the combine. Gaither will be one of them, but my point to this thread was that even drafting around 12, we can still get our stud OLT.
Old 10-29-2006   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, lets break down the potential talents in the draft as we see it thus far.

I'll assume we are picking 12th for good nature. This is where I think they will fall ahead of the 12th pick.

QB: Locks: Quinn, Bohm. Bubble: Stanton, Henne, Smith
RB: Locks: AP, Lynch. Bubble: none IMO
WR: Locks: Johnson, Jarrett Bubble: Rice, Ginn, Smith, Swede, Sazmenjadzjeda or w/e.
TE: Locks: none. Bubble: Olsen
OT: Locks: Thomas. Bubble: Gaither, Brown, Baker
OG: Locks: none Bubble: none 1st round potential: OG from UT
DE: Locks: Adams Bubble: Moses
DT: Locks: none Bubble: Okam, guy from OSU
LB: Locks: Plouz Bubble: Willis, Blades, Davis
S: Locks: none Bubble: Landry, Merriwehter, Griffin

So I count 9 locks by my list, and you know there will be players that rise like the sun at the combine. Gaither will be one of them, but my point to this thread was that even drafting around 12, we can still get our stud OLT.
Thank You. I agree. If the Scouts settle on a roll of the dice third round guy, with this much tallent at a need position, I'll be very surprised. I just don't think , by everything Kubes has done so far, that he's going to wait five years. I believe he's going to lock down that line this year. Grab what ever Defensive tallent he can, where he can. and Ball controll and make a run at a wild card next year. But to do that...he has to lock down the o-line...first. Which means grabing someone for solid OLT insurance for Spencer. If Spencer comes back @ 100 % it'd mean we're three deep at both tackles and the left gaurd positon....with superior tallent. It won't matter which beast we play where. Waiting for Winston to come around and depending on the grey beard I don't think will be in his cards. We'll see. JMHO.
Old 10-29-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Thank You. I agree. If the Scouts settle on a roll of the dice third round guy, with this much tallent at a need position, I'll be very surprised. I just don't think , by everything Kubes has done so far, that he's going to wait five years. I believe he's going to lock down that line this year. Grab what ever Defensive tallent he can, where he can. and Ball controll and make a run at a wild card next year. But to do that...he has to lock down the o-line...first. Which means grabing someone for solid OLT insurance for Spencer. If Spencer comes back @ 100 % it'd mean we're three deep at both tackles and the left gaurd positon....with superior tallent. It won't matter which beast we play where. Waiting for Winston to come around and depending on the grey beard I don't think will be in his cards. We'll see. JMHO.
Yes. I agree.

What I was getting at as well is that some of those "bubble" players will be highly sought after players come draft day.

I left out CB: Locks: Hughes Bubble: Carson, Hall

If you assume that those 10 "locks" are taken ahead of our pick if we were to have 12, then just play along that 2 of those countless bubble picks were to be taken somehwere in there. For instance, I do not think Landry is top 12 talent, but he will probally go there because of his hype and its often a position of need...see AJ Hawk last year. Was not the 5th best prospect.

I again do not see Spencer as a LT, but more as a RG. Thomas and Gaither are my picks for LT. Both are studs, and if the cards fall right, one of them could fall right into our laps.
Old 10-29-2006   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

For some reason, I doubt that we draft an OT in the first round, especailly since we just drafted 2 talented ones, say what you want about Winston, but he is a rookie and I dont doubt that he grows into a solid starter. As far as Charles Spencer, he broke his leg but just like Winston he is young, and I dont doubt that he can return full strength from his injury.

Another thing, I dont think that Kubiak is that worried about the O-line, and right now, Im not either. We have 5 starters on the line, most of which havent played together for more than 6 games, and all of them are in a new zone system. Wait until the end of the year and see how the running game is by then. When the O-line has had time to gel and develope trust in one another we will really be able to make an accurate assesment.

Another reason I dont think that Kubiak takes a LT is because if he really had thought that we needed one he would have traded down and taken Ferguson, who was a much better prospect than any of these OTs. Hes been a productive starter for the Jets since he stepped on the practice field.
Old 10-29-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier View Post

Another reason I dont think that Kubiak takes a LT is because if he really had thought that we needed one he would have traded down and taken Ferguson, who was a much better prospect than any of these OTs. Hes been a productive starter for the Jets since he stepped on the practice field.
We couldn't find anyone who wanted to trade up for Bush. Fergueon, while a great prospect, is not better than Thomas or Gaither. Both would have gone ahead of him if all were seniors the same year. Fergueson has struggled a little, giving up 5 sacks before today, but he is a rookie and will be fine for years. That said, we can get a guy better than that this year.

I broke down how the draft might go with the first 12 picks. If we are indeed picking around there, it is very possible that an OLT is BPA.
Old 10-29-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think we should continue to take good prospects and continue to build depth. Now is not the time to rest on our Laurels. Salaam looks good, and I'd be fine if he were going to provide depth with us for years to come. But I wouldn't pass on good talent at value spots.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Salaam was never ment to carry the o-line, not for ten or twelve games any way. Salaam was ment to be just a capable back up when someone got nicked for a couple of games.

.......... since Boselli spit the bit,

Always be stud RB's, Free Safties, LB's in the draft. But this situation is rare to have this many prime OLT's bunched together.

I think the d is more than one pick away don't you ? We get the tackle we'll be in the middle of the pack in offensive production. That'll be a big piece for the '08 play off run.
Great points, all good points. But a couple of questions. What do you mean spit the bit.... usually that means the person in question bucked the system, didn't like the coaching he was getting, and either just quit, or was ousted...

Second.... I believe once we get our run game going, and I think the OL is very close, our OL will start looking like probowlers. & we'll be able to get good production without blue chip OLmen.

Of course, we should wait till the end of the year, to see if that is the case before we right off BPA. But looking at our team now, I can't imagine we wouldn't go for the best DB as early as we can.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Been a while since you bridled a horse TK ? It means he couldn't answer the bell. Wouldn't or in this case couldn't take the bridle's bit in his mouth. The running isn't going to get going, that is the point. We're close. We saw in preseason what it could be. Went against some good deffenses the first six and saw what it was. Especailly, when one of our off the crap heap RBs whipped out Spencer. Salaam has done his job and done it well. Not banging on Salaam. Seeing ahead, I don't know what they'll do if Salaam goes down. I believe once Salaam goes down, and I'm banking on the wear and tear of the NFL on thirty something legs, the weaknesses in our o-line and CC's lack of evaluating tallent, wiil be exposed. We'll see. My thought is we're close to fixing one thing, the o-line. We take the young tackle to back up Spencer, the o-line should be a lock in '07. And these guys are so tallented, they are almost pulg and play. There are remedies to fix that problem within out grasp .... now. My book says if one of the three Slips to us we sould take that solution. Get one thing fixed this off season. TK I see what you are saying. If they spend all seven picks on Defnse I'll shut up. But when Ross is one of the DB leaders this year, tells me this is a down year for DBs. We'll see what happens today. On paper it should be a gimme. We'll see. They should, a good nfl o-line should, be able to control the ball on the road to keep the young QB phenom on the bench so he can't hurt you. We'll see. Just saying that option is rarely availble to Kubes. I think that is the option he will choose next draft. Just trin' to head off the heart ache of them not taking All Day.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-29-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2006   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we should continue to take good prospects and continue to build depth. Now is not the time to rest on our Laurels. Salaam looks good, and I'd be fine if he were going to provide depth with us for years to come. But I wouldn't pass on good talent at value spots.
Salaam had either 4 or 5 false starts against the Titans
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Salaam had either 4 or 5 false starts against the Titans
Salaam and Weigert were both exposed today. Neither one starts for any other team.
Old 11-02-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Salaam and Weigert were both exposed today. Neither one starts for any other team.
Nobody has objections? odd...
Old 11-03-2006   #19
Buckle
Veteran

Kubiak came from Denver where they do not use high round draft picks on Olinemen. 1st and 2nd rounders in the Denver system have been high profile impact athletes such as WR, QB, LB, DT, Safety, CB. They don't even generally use high picks on RB's because with the zone blocking scheme that Kubiak runs here in houston you need more athletic olinemen that can be found in later rounds and RB's that can make 1 cut to the hole and run north and south (plus with Lundy playing well and the hopefull return of Davis next year we are ok at RB). I think that you can expect us to use our first 2 or 3 draft choices on the defensive side of the ball, unless there is some amazing talent left on the board in the 2nd or 3rd round. We can expect prolly a player in the Secondary , another LB, and hopefully another DT in the first 3 rounds or some combination of them because I feel like those are our biggest weaknesses.
Buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
Kubiak came from Denver where they do not use high round draft picks on Olinemen.
Except their 1st round RT.

Quote:
They don't even generally use high picks on RB's
Depends on your definition of high--top half of the 1st certainly not but they have used 2nds on Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis and Kubiak was trying to trade into the 1st this year for DeAngelo Williams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read