Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2006   #1
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Default Any News on Charles Spencer?

Did a search of the board and couldn't find anything, so I'll just ask the question. Has the team provided an update on Charles Spencer's recovery? I remember reading his injuries were potentially career threatening and that the team wouldn't have a sense as to whether he'd be able to recuperate fully for about a month after his surgery.

Since it's been about a month ... has anyone heard any news? If possible, I may even try to call Coach Kubiak on his show on 610 to ask.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any News on Charles Spencer?

The only "reports" of the injury being career threatening have been fan speculation. He broke his leg. Other than he is out for the season there has been zero info from the team.
Old 10-26-2006   #3
Nbkan
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Nbkan Send a message via AIM to Nbkan Send a message via MSN to Nbkan

This is dated 09-18-2006 but all I could find.

Left tackle Charles Spencer had surgery Monday to repair the tibia he fractured in Sunday's loss to the Colts. "It was a very, very severe fracture, and the surgery went well," Texans coach Gary Kubiak told the Houston Chronicle. "I don't think we'll know a whole lot about his recovery for a couple months."
Old 10-26-2006   #4
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

nowa days there arent to many career endin injuries, if you tear somethin they take a cadaver and use there body parts, i know he fractured his tibula and im not sure how that works
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

badum-bum

Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about career threatening. But I've been banging the be prepaired drum in case he's no longer a OLT canidate. I'm waiting for the "couple of Months" and holding my breath. I hope there's a little more info than we had on the Wand/Faggins deal. I doubt we get it though. If the news that the leg is bad, we'd tip our hand for April. They may not know for sure untill next mini camp. With all the All Day talk in the draft room, I'm gripping about it for sure.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #7
Cruuuuuuuz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
There is no bone called a tibula, but there is one called a tibia as well as one called a fibula. Are you suggesting that he should have the two fused so that he will be the only human with a tibula? As for how it works, from my experience it works better when it isn't broken.
man...thanks....thas the funniest s**t ive read in a long time!
Old 10-27-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

CloaknnnDager has a post on the Micheal Bush thread in the college/draft forum. It gave me ......hope. It's not what he broke Duanta. It's where he broke it. You're talking about a 325 pound freak with exceptionally quick feet. That's what made him such a plumb in the third round. A lot of clubs had egg on their face by passing him by. Now whether or not he'll be the same player he was befor the injury, that's the rub for me. There's no doubt he can handle the right side. We won't know untill spring about the left side. If the leg dosen't re-fracture next year, he'll be more than ok on the right side.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #9
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
There is no bone called a tibula, but there is one called a tibia as well as one called a fibula. Are you suggesting that he should have the two fused so that he will be the only human with a tibula? As for how it works, from my experience it works better when it isn't broken.
thats axactly what i ment

my bad i dont really know what im talkin about
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #10
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
thats axactly what i ment

my bad i dont really know what im talkin about
Don't worry about it. You are fun to read and "most" of us understood what you were saying. I think it is great that we have English and Science teachers on this board to help us numbskulls get through the day. I realize with great gravity that when I spell a word incorrectly that the sun fades, the tides stop and the earth's revolution slows. I am so POWERFUL! TA DA.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer was really coming along, although his lateral movement was already a little slow to handle the speed rushers, at the time of injury he was locked up on Freeney who was coming off the edge & about to get around Charles to Carr when David handed off to Ron Dayne who barrled over Spencers planted foot still engaged with Freeney and snapped it clean.

Once cleared to play (next season) its going to still take Charles Spencer time to re-gain his strength & mobility, 50/50 if he is ever 100% again. Thats why the Texans need to go after an elite LT in the draft, it addresses a critical need, adds some quality depth and gives Spencer time to rehab without rushing him back into action too early.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Once cleared to play (next season) its going to still take Charles Spencer time to re-gain his strength & mobility, 50/50 if he is ever 100% again.
I don't understand stuff like this...???????????????? huh?, wtf and all that!

where do you people get your odds on stuff like a broken leg? You guys act like he blew out both knees....

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Spencer's biggest problem will be creeping to 400 lbs ... if he's not carefull . On the the other hand he gets to 320 lb he'll be better than ever .
Old 10-27-2006   #14
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

where do you people get your odds on stuff like a broken leg? You guys act like he blew out both knees....

70% of all stats are made up.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerV1 View Post
56% of people know that
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerV1 View Post
But only 30% of the time by 50% of the people so that they can bamboozal 25% of those who read it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #17
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Spencer was really coming along, although his lateral movement was already a little slow to handle the speed rushers, at the time of injury he was locked up on Freeney who was coming off the edge & about to get around Charles to Carr when David handed off to Ron Dayne who barrled over Spencers planted foot still engaged with Freeney and snapped it clean.

Once cleared to play (next season) its going to still take Charles Spencer time to re-gain his strength & mobility, 50/50 if he is ever 100% again. Thats why the Texans need to go after an elite LT in the draft, it addresses a critical need, adds some quality depth and gives Spencer time to rehab without rushing him back into action too early.
It's becoming a bit of a cursed position with th Texans. He was my favorite new player. He was going to be a force. Thanks Dayne. Actually thanks Kubiak for bringing in Mr. Personality. I doubt he yet knows what he did to Spencer. Dayne seems like he's not all there.
Old 10-27-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

I don't understand the over reaction to a simple common sense assertion, wtf is up with that. While not a doctor those who have followed football know what happens in most cases to athletes with this severe injury, case in point look at Eric Winston once considered the premier LT in all of College Football two years later he is still working his way back & not a LT position anymore.

Its a general rule of thumb returning to sports activities is that the injured leg should have 85 to 90 percent of the quadriceps and hamstring strength compared to the pre-surgical level. This is determined by the physical therapist or physician using simple strength tests called isokinetic tests. The time table is set with a broad band depending upon each individual situation of 4 months to 24 months. With a high break to the tibia the patellar tendon (the 'ligament' of the knee cap) connects the lower part of the kneecap (patella) to the upper part of the tibia, specifically to the lump one can feel just below the knee on the lower leg bone (the tibia). Part of this tendon is commonly used in reconstructing a torn ACL.

Now while it would be nice to get a more detailed assesment of the surgery and its time table it does not sound like they know anything for sure at this point so the question was posed & some of us myself included took a shot for specultion sake there is no need to berate posters & tear your own acl in the process

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Yeah, that whole LT position looks pretty cursed, ever since Bocelli.
Old 10-27-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
CloaknnnDager has a post on the Micheal Bush thread in the college/draft forum.
Yea, but that was over a month ago. Where is that poster ? Haven't seen
anything new by him lately ? His remarks were always thoughtful and when
it comes to subjects like this, very informative. Sounds like he's an orthopedic doctor. We need his input on subjects like this, especially when
we finally start to get an update(s) on Spencers condition and need to get an educated prognosis.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read