Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-26-2006   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Texans Biggest Needs List For 2007

It may be a little early, but I want to know what peole feel are our biggest needs to fill before the upcoming season. Now we could definitely improve at any position in the defensive backfield, also we can, as always use some offensive lineman, and a RB.
Now as far as RB goes, it seems like alot of people have given upon DD. Does anyone think that he will be able to come back and be his old self next year, or do you guys think this is the end for DD as a Texan. The coaching staff must have some faith in his recovery because they put him on the IR instead of cutting him, or was that just a cap move.
As far as the o-line goes, I really dont think that we are in as dire need of an OT as we were last year. Charles Spencer did an okay job in pass pro and I think as the o-line gels more then the running game will start to pick up. Dont forget we also have a developing Eric Winston waiting to get on the field.
My biggest concern coming into the next season would have to be our defensive backfield. I think that if Faggins can stay healthy then we have an average pair of CBs that could be improved on, esepcially in what seems to be a deep CB draft, but my position of interest would have to be safety, and I think that our best choice is going to be LaRon Landry. I think that he is a beast of a safety and would come in and make a huge imact on our defense.
Old 10-26-2006   #2
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Biggest Needs List For 2007

LaRon Landry or Daymeion Hughes, we will be to high in the draft to get AP, but we need Defense now, or im not against an O-line men
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just cant see Kubiak gettin a RB in the first round, no matter who it is.

Some people said Bush was the best RB ever (ESPN) in college football and we passed on him. Nobody has said that about Peterson or Lynch.

We should get on of the safeties or corners in the first, OL in the second, & look at RB in the 3rd or 4th.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

We need the best friggin corner in the draft. That's our biggest need and where we'll get the most bang for our buck IMO.
Old 10-26-2006   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
We need the best friggin corner in the draft. That's our biggest need and where we'll get the most bang for our buck IMO.
That would prob be Daymeion Hughes.

I dont like most Cal guys but he is a ball hawk at corner.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #6
AtheGreat
Veteran

If in May, Joe Thomas, LaRon Landry, or AP are wearing a texans' jersey, i'll be content.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

To tell you guys the truth, I wouldnt mind trading back up into the 1st round to get a high caliber safety and CB. I would love to get Damien Hughes/Marcus McCaughly/Antwon Cason and LaRon Landry and just wait until the 3rd and pick up an offensive player.
Old 10-26-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it positions right in the draft--bingo.
Old 10-26-2006   #9
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Leon Hall
Damien Hughes
Aaron Ross
Antoine Cason
Marcus McCauley
Fred Bennet

All CBs that I think will go in the top 2 rounds and I would love to have on of them.
Old 10-26-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Leon Hall seems to be that player. I beleive we need safety more, but there doesn't seem to be any players of Hall's caliber at safety IMO (except maybe Griffin).

D. Hughes from Cal does have some good stats...I have not seen him play yet, but he may be a guy we could get later in the first round as Hall will go in the top 7 IMO.

As far as biggest need, as far as the draft is concerned, I would go with:
1. Safety
2. Offensive Line (LT or RG)
3. Corner
4. Linebacker
5. Running Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier View Post
To tell you guys the truth, I wouldnt mind trading back up into the 1st round to get a high caliber safety and CB. I would love to get Damien Hughes/Marcus McCaughly/Antwon Cason and LaRon Landry and just wait until the 3rd and pick up an offensive player.
I dont think we'd need to do that...we could get a player like Aaron Ross with good potential and ability in the second round.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-26-2006 at 05:35 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I dont think we'd need to do that...we could get a player like Aaron Ross with good potential and ability in the second round.

I dont think we need to do it either, but I wouldnt be against it, oh and do you guys like the new avatar?
Old 10-26-2006   #12
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone remember a guy named Babin? We have way to many needs to trade picks away to move up a few spots.

I see Ross right now going between 2nd and 4th rounds in mocks. Yes these mocks do not matter, but you can see that a real good quality guy will be available when we pick in the 2nd and the 3rd.

Also remember if the trade had happened in last years draft, Ryans would not be a Texan right now.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #13
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier View Post
Leon Hall
Damien Hughes
Aaron Ross
Antoine Cason
Marcus McCauley
Fred Bennet

All CBs that I think will go in the top 2 rounds and I would love to have on of them.
i think i would put Dwight Lowery in that list
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

As of right now im taking RB of my list of needs. I like the idea of DD, Wali, and Gado splitting the load next year. Keep all of them escpecially DD fresh and hopfully healthy.

Needs
FS
LB - CB
LT - I see Spencer as a RG, or RT in the Future.
C - If the coaching staff likes the Hog then you can remove center as a need. I havnt seen him enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Daymeion Hughes = Chris McAlister
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #16
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
The Texans's biggest need for 2007, and every year for that matter, is a boisterous, loyal sellout crowd at every game to help the team by disrupting the opponents offensive performance and reinvigorate the Texans when they make mistakes. What they don't need is a bunch of whining crying babies booing everytime the Texans have a bad play.
That would be nice, but unless you fill the stands with 70,000 members of the Petroleum Club it ain't going to happen.
Old 10-26-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Dominate Offensive Left Tackel. please. (crawlie, crawlie , foot kiss)
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Dominate Offensive Left Tackel. please. (crawlie, crawlie , foot kiss)
A little inhebriated there are we now?
Old 10-27-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I just cant see Kubiak gettin a RB in the first round, no matter who it is.

Some people said Bush was the best RB ever (ESPN) in college football and we passed on him. Nobody has said that about Peterson or Lynch.

We should get on of the safeties or corners in the first, OL in the second, & look at RB in the 3rd or 4th.
Being that Kubes & Krew tried to move up for Moroney/Williams, I think we can all agree that we were wrong about not taking a RB in the first. Maybe not first overall, or Reggie doesn't look like the kind of guy Kubiak wants.

I think Kubiak values power over speed, but good speed is also a plus. Dayne, Gado, Lundy..... Maroney, D'AngeloWilliams...... You'd think Reggies Bench would have been a good sign of the power he has, but PacManJones stood him up. Dayne would run through PacManJones.

But yeah, I'm thinking whereever our first round pick lands us, we'll get the Best CB/Safety available.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Kubiak values power over speed, but good speed is also a plus.
You're projecting your own preferences. The highest two draft pick/potential draft picks we know Kubiak was interested in are Clinton Portis and DeAngelo Williams both of whom fall more on the speed side of the spectrum than the power side.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read