Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does Vince Young improve the rivalry?

With the Titans drafting Vince Young, do you think it makes the rivalry between the Texans and the Titans even bigger from the fans perspective? I think it does. There's going to be some UT fans regardless who are going to go ga-ga over Vince Young anytime he steps on the field, but for the most part, I think Texans fans will want the Titans to lose even more now with Vince Young. Not sure why, just a gut feeling. What do you thinK?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Vince Young improve the rivalry?

As a member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie class of '10.... I have to say that I can't wait to see how much pain our Texans inflict upon Mr. Invincible!
Old 10-25-2006   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes it heightens the rivalry. Many people wanted him, its gonna be interesting to see him twice a year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course it does...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Again, this is a one sided rivalry. We have all kinds of reasons to "hate" the Titans, and the only reason they have to hate us, is that we hate them.

Putting too much into it makes us look stupid. You can't call it a rivalry, if you're getting whupped 3 games to one. Dallas is more of a rivalry now, and we only play them once every 4 years.

But, to answer your question. To me, Vince being their starter makes this no more important to me than any other divisional game. I like Vince, but I like Peyton as well. Sort of a professional courtesy.

I believe we'll get the win this week, because we're actually the better team, with more talent. Vince's super powers won't be able to take that team to very many wins until next year. This year, it's on us to lose the game.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #6
Bongo59
Veteran

i dont hate Houston...............or its fans............I lived there for ten yrs and had season tix to Buds team.............I know the history well and I have my own thoughts about the real reasons why Houston hates Bud.............but that is another issue................people in TN really like all other fans and they open their arms to opposition fans..............the only fans they cant stand are Raven and Jag fans.............sine Jag fans dont travel we dont have to deal with them...............Nov 12 we get a city full of Baltimorons...........and ratbird fans
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Again, this is a one sided rivalry. We have all kinds of reasons to "hate" the Titans, and the only reason they have to hate us, is that we hate them.
Crap I have to agree with tk--j/k. The only budding rivalry we have is with the Jags because of games exactly like last weekend--they should win but don't, they could get into the playoffs but don't. The Titans are way up on us at 6-2. Nobody in TN feels the rivalry is bigger because they got a guy from Houston--why would they say anything but thanks? Sure it makes some fans around here po'd but just like with Dallas--can't have a one sided rivalry.
Old 10-25-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My mama taught me not to hate, but I think she would have an exception for the Titans.

I hate the Titans. I hate everything they stand for. I hate their name and their goofy logo. Their mere existence is a reminder of the worst aspects of the NFL.

I like Vince Young, like I liked Steve McNair. It pains me that Young plays for IMO, a vulgarian traitorous dirtbag owner who might possibly ruin him as a QB, or at a minimum kick him to the curb in a classless way like he did with McNair. I hope that Vince Young has a career of fat stats on a loser team. Until Bud kicks him to the curb and then he goes on to win a Super Bowl somewhere else. A girl can dream, can't she?

I feel sorry for Titan fans because they have Bud Adams as an owner. I remember what it is like to love a team but be embarassed by its ill-dressed, cheap, uncouth, foot-in-mouth owner.

I don't know about rivalry. I want to beat the snot outta all divisional opponents. I just take some extra bit of joy everytime something bad happens to the Titans. I don't know, are there levels of despisedness?

The NFL is just more fun when you loathe teams.
Old 10-25-2006   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
My mama taught me not to hate, but I think she would have an exception for the Titans.

I hate the Titans. I hate everything they stand for. I hate their name and their goofy logo. Their mere existence is a reminder of the worst aspects of the NFL.

I like Vince Young, like I liked Steve McNair. It pains me that Young plays for IMO, a vulgarian traitorous dirtbag owner who might possibly ruin him as a QB, or at a minimum kick him to the curb in a classless way like he did with McNair. I hope that Vince Young has a career of fat stats on a loser team. Until Bud kicks him to the curb and then he goes on to win a Super Bowl somewhere else. A girl can dream, can't she?

I feel sorry for Titan fans because they have Bud Adams as an owner. I remember what it is like to love a team but be embarassed by its ill-dressed, cheap, uncouth, foot-in-mouth owner.

I don't know about rivalry. I want to beat the snot outta all divisional opponents. I just take some extra bit of joy everytime something bad happens to the Titans. I don't know, are there levels of despisedness?

The NFL is just more fun when you loathe teams.
What makes all sports great, from a fan's perspective, is emotion. When you care about a team or player, it makes everything a lot more fun, and painful (for us Texans anyway). It works the same way when you really dont like someone, like the Jags, Cowboys, and the Titans. I wasnt around for the Oilers and Bud Adams, but I still hate the Titans and am going to enjoy this weekend all the more when we beat em.
Old 10-25-2006   #10
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Our rivalry with Tennesse is very weird.

Not sure how to sum it up but let's put it like this.

Tennesse Titans
I hate the owner.
I hate the players and I like to see them lose. (I like VY, but Pacman and the hoods I can't stand.)
I don't hate the city or the state
I don't hate the fans.
I don't hate the coach.
BUT, I still feel some strange childhood, deeply suppressed emotional thing, that makes me want to see some magic from the columbia blue. I haven't seen them in the throw backs but if they wear that against the Texans that would be very very wrong...like feeding a cow a plate full of beef.

Dallas Cowboys
I find the owner entertaining.
I find the players and team entertaining & enjoy watching them lose. (I like guys like Roy & Ware)
I hate the city of Dallas. Big hair, high crime, very few trees, the mavs, yuck etc.
I really really hate the fans. Both loud and fair weather at the same time.
The coach has boobs.

Jacksonville Jaguars
I don't know the owner.
No issues with the players, but for some strange reason I get more joy out of seeing this team lose than all others. No clue why.
I respect the coach.
No issue with the city of Jacksonville, if anything they remind me of Houston 25-30 years ago...very low self esteem as a city and haven't found their identity yet.
The fans are the most immature in the entire NFL. Not loud but childish. Visit their forums for tons of evidence of this...they have a nickname for every team...tinhorns etc.
I love beating these guys because for some reason neither the team or their fans are able to show respect for the Texans. Hopefully that has changed after another beat down.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
With the Titans drafting Vince Young, do you think it makes the rivalry between the Texans and the Titans even bigger from the fans perspective? I think it does.
I agree. Just being a division rival and playing them twice a year makes it a rivalry, but adding the addition of Bud Adams and now Vince Young sweetens the deal.
Old 10-25-2006   #12
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
As a member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie class of '10.... I have to say that I can't wait to see how much pain our Texans inflict upon Mr. Invincible!
as a member of the aggie class of 2010 are you going to stop being a texan fan when we draft some longhorns? vince is not in college anymore, get over it. that being said, i think vince being from houston and one of the best players to come out of houston in a long time will just add to the rivalry. But what will really improve the rivalry is when both teams have winning records with something more than just bragging rights on the line.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Never liked the Oilers, but the Titans wore Columbia Blue in the games in Houston. That ain't right. Then they drafted VY, who came out of my favorite college. That ain't right. I don't hate them, but I sure don't respect them.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #14
CyberTexan
Veteran

Im not worried about Vince one bit I think we made the right choice keeping Carr I know Vince is in his rookie year and hasnt played many games but he has one of the worst quarterback ratings in the NFL hes not gonna be any better than McNair was, where we screwed up was not picking Bush , Bush has helped out the Saints allot just by being there.
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #15
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

JAX will probably end up being our real rival. We always play them tough, no matter the circumstances. We put them out of the playoffs in shutout fashion. They won't admit to it but that's how it eventually will be.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Once an plaer puts on the pro jerse, I don't care what college he played for. I dont hate TEN for having Young. Do you think Panther fans hate us for drafting Williams? Young is a Titan, and I will root for him to fail like all other Titan players, and all other teams in our division. I do hate the Cowboys though.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Never liked the Oilers, but the Titans wore Columbia Blue in the games in Houston. That ain't right. Then they drafted VY, who came out of my favorite college. That ain't right. I don't hate them, but I sure don't respect them.
Baltimore.... Pittsburgh..... to me, that's just a divisional game. Like the Giants Cowboys.

They aren't real rivals, like Pittsburgh/Cleveland...... or Dallas/Washington those are rivalries, throw the record out the window, and expect a few injuries when it's over.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. Just being a division rival and playing them twice a year makes it a rivalry, but adding the addition of Bud Adams and now Vince Young sweetens the deal.
Dude you are kama sutra multipositional after claiming the Texans had no rivals even the Jags. What happened to your high rivalry standard?
Old 10-25-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dude you are kama sutra multipositional after claiming the Texans had no rivals even the Jags. What happened to your high rivalry standard?
It's more evidence pointing to the power of Vince Young.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #20
StrongArm08
Rookie

I don't believe vince Young makes it a better rivalry because he hasn't proven anything yet. Steve McNair made it a better rivalry because he is ALL PRO....vince is nowhere near that level yet and only time will tell if he lives up to all of the hype.

I admit what he did in college last yr was spectacular.....but that's college. Ask Michael Vick how tough the transition is to the pros (and he's WAY more talented than Young)

Don't get me wrong I like Young and I think he'll be a fine player, but it's premature to say he improves the Titans/Texans rivalry before he's actually played us.

IMO we have a pro bowl caliber QB in DC and I'm looking forward to seeing him silence the critics that wanted to dump him for Young. For now the Young hype is just that.......hype
StrongArm08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read