Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-25-2006   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tony Romo to start

Bill Parcells just said that Romo will start this Sunday in Carolina.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tony Romo to start

And we should care because.....................
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

....because it's an NFL story being discussed in the NFL forum.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #4
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

OK.......well let's talk about everthing that ever happens in the NFL....

Please tell me there are more important things to discuss than who takes the snap for Dallas. Wait, players on roids, hmm, REALLY? Drug useage....NO WAY..This isn't anything new....been discussed before, now its happening.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Might as well. Bledsoe self destructs in the red zone almost every game.

At least give Romo a chance and see what he's got. They've gone thru something like 10 QB's since Troy retired.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to quess that you havn't read down the forum for the names of those in thread titles.

And beside when was the last time an un-drafted QB started in the NFL? It's news worthy for that reason alone, besides the fact that the palyer the cowboys are benching is likely a Hall of Famer, on the strength of his stats.
Old 10-25-2006   #7
whiskeyrbl

Bledsoe to address the media in 45 minutes. Just heard it on NFL Network.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd have to laugh if he retired. Dallas only has two QBs on the roster, IIRC.
Old 10-25-2006   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Odd, they were saying on Dallas radio that Drew's agent was at the cowboy's facility's this morning.

He can't be traded after the deadline can he, like baseball?
Old 10-25-2006   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well if he does that he's a quitter plain and simple. I can't say I blame him for being upset, that would be natural for anybody but to quit because you get benched? And it's not as though he's being benched for a job well done or anything; he's making stupid throws, bad decisions.

Will see what he has to say.
Old 10-25-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, we just watched the Cowplops give up on the season. You don't start a rookie (undrafted at that) and expect to hit the playoffs. Will he/they win some games....sure, but the entire team now knows it is officially..............Next Year!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #12
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Parcell's should have started Romo a couple of seasons ago. He'd probably be ready to make a playoff run by now.......................
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Drew just came out and toed the party line.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.
Old 10-25-2006   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Drew just came out and toed the party line.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.
What did he say ?
Old 10-25-2006   #15
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Be interesting to see what happens here because Bill is definitely doing against J.Jones who put in his endorsement for Drew just yesterday.
Old 10-25-2006   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

The Cowboys have been dropping the ball for some time over the QB position.

I don't think they gave Henson much of a chance but that is neither here nor there. Instead they have signed older guys like Vinny and Drew at a time when the league is moving towards the more mobile QB's.

They haven't developed Romo so now he's being tossed into a tough situation and it ain't preseason.

I have to admit I am surprised. I thought Bill would stick with Drew through many horrible games. I guess he's seen enough.
Old 10-25-2006   #17
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Julius Peppers will have a field day on sunday, regardless of who starts.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
The Cowboys have been dropping the ball for some time over the QB position.

I don't think they gave Henson much of a chance but that is neither here nor there. Instead they have signed older guys like Vinny and Drew at a time when the league is moving towards the more mobile QB's.

They haven't developed Romo so now he's being tossed into a tough situation and it ain't preseason.

I have to admit I am surprised. I thought Bill would stick with Drew through many horrible games. I guess he's seen enough.
I believe last year or the year before would have been good oportunity to start Romo or Henson... Looking back, with 20/20 vision. But when Quincy took the Cowboys to the Playoffs in Bill's first season, it made sense that they'd leave the QB position alone for a little while, and work on the rest of the team..... most notably the defense.

Vinny came in just to be the Veteran Bench Warmer, while Quincy did his thing. But then Quincy's drug thing happened, and Bill had no choice but to dump him. I for one, a noted QC supporter, was happy to see the Cowboys cut a player for drug use..... not something I was used to.

So Quincy left the team, Vinny was Vinny, and the Cowboys D imploded, even though Vinny had a pretty decent season. At the time, this year(2004) was not the year to start Henson or Romo, they were both green...

(2005)Bledsoe became available, They picked up Henson, & they continued to work with Romo. Bledsoe started the year out great, then the protection broke down. Dallas' Young D was vastly superior to the previous years, and they had reason to believe they could make the playoffs, deep into December. When their season was over, they had good reason to believe that 2006, they could make the playoffs.

This year, with the addition of AkinAyodele, solid draft picks in BobbyCarpenter, & PatWatkins, the D was certain to be improved. Offensively, Flozelle & Columbo were expected to be ready to go by TC, and the addition of Terrell Owens had them thinking Superbowl...(I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but if their defense was what they thought it would be, I rolled with it).

I say all that, to say in the time that Romo & Henson was on the team, there was not a good time to start either, unless you agree with giving up on your season early.

Personally, I don't agree with the change right now, if they are seriously thinking about getting to the SuperBowl this year. & giving Terrell Owens a $10 million Dollar signing bonus, and Bill having only one more year left on his contract makes me believe they were loading up for a run this year.

But trying to work in a WR like TO with a QB like Drew(who didn't trust Keyshawn last year), basically a new starting OL, and a young, young Defense, it's a tall order allready, throwing in Romo, and I think it's beyond the great Parcell's ability to get them to the big game.

You don't know what would've happened in the second half of that game. Your Defense might step up, and get you a couple of scores..... like they did the week before.

But you have to stick with your veteran if you're really thinking SB, and place the blame where it belongs, on the offensive line.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #19
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
IMO, we just watched the Cowplops give up on the season. You don't start a rookie (undrafted at that) and expect to hit the playoffs. Will he/they win some games....sure, but the entire team now knows it is officially..............Next Year!
He's not a rookie, he's a fourth year player who's had a cult following among Cowboy forums for years now. The guy can play. Sure three interceptions aren't exactly newsworthy, but he was opening up that offense.. utilizing Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, something that Bledsoe had yet to do. He did this passing virtually every play playing catch-up with a revved up Giant D-line breathing down his neck.

Several first year starters do fine.. Tom Brady, Big Ben, Phillip Rivers.. the season isn't over.. watch out for Big D next Sunday night, Romo will get the ball rolling after a full week of practice with the first team, and a full week of film study.

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 10-25-2006 at 06:36 PM.
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I agree the offense seemed to be flowing a little better once Romo stepped into the game, better than it has all year, considering the running game wasn't an option.

But Romo's ability to play isn't what is in question here. I think every player who makes it into the NFL can play.... right now, what will be tested will be his toughness, and his ability to play while under pressure.

He already showed a few bad signs last night, like flicking the ball to Barber as he is going down.... at that time, it's too late, just take your sack.

& I understand that he looked good in the preseason, but it's a different game now that he is starting in the regular season.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read