Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Mario Williams
A 7 3.98%
B 80 45.45%
C 76 43.18%
D 12 6.82%
F 1 0.57%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How would you grade Mario Williams thus far?

If you had to give him a grade what would it be? I would give him a B, maybe a C+. He wasn't good his first few games, but lately he's been improving. He did pressure Leftwich on Sunday a few times, but I'd still like to see him pressure the QB more often. Who'd a thunk he'd have more sacks at this point than Reggie Bush had TDs though? That shows you ESPN!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #2
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP
Default Re: How would you grade Mario Williams thus far?

I think I would give him a B- b/c he hasn't been spectacular, but he is showing continued improvement.

He is improving game by game and if he continues to do so, he'll be a force. He's already making a few plays here and there and will only get better. That's all you can ask for in a rookie IMO.
Old 10-25-2006   #3
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, I think you'd have to give him a C. He hasn't been bad, overall, but he also hasn't done anything really spectacular yet. I don't think there's anything to make him stand out as more than an average DE so far. He clearly has a lot of potential, though, and he has been improving a lot, so I hope (and expect) that his "grade" will go up.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #4
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Put him around a C+, approaching a B though. By the end of the season he should be around a mid B I think as far as a rookie season goes. He's made a few nice plays, but the awareness and recognition still needs to improve. I also want to see a more effective rush move than just trying to bull rush everytime. His outside speed rush needs to be used more sparingly since most NFL OTs are just riding him out of the play, although I haven't noticed it as much as I did early on.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #5
Cruuuuuuuz
Veteran

He's in elementary....so grades arent that important....
I cant wait till he plays like he's in college!
Old 10-25-2006   #6
David23
Rookie

I would give him a C+ but he is getting better as the season goes along. Could move up to a B soon.
David23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and grade him at about a B-. He's starting off slow like most rookies, but he does seem to be making progress as the game slows down for him. He's trusting his instincts more, and he's definately looked much better in the last two or three games than he did in the first three. He's had a few plays where he absolutely stonewalled the running back, and I think as he continues to grow and mature we'll see alot more of that type of play out of him. The main reason for the B- as opposed to a C+ is because of the amount of attention & pressure that's put on him. He's dealt with it well thus far, and I think that's represenative of his character. I look forward to seeing him develop further week after week.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2006   #8
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

B- if he sacks Vince, B+
Old 10-25-2006   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I give him a B- bcuz he still has a learning curve & he's shown improvements as the season goes on!I believe he will be a force in the not so distant future!!!
Old 10-25-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Every game he looks better, needs more sacks, but that will come and I am not worried about it. Doing good with preasure, and needs to protect the backside more when the ball is ran away from him.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted a B but would rather have given a C+. Still needs to incorporate some moves and have a better balance of instinct and using his mind. It will come sooner than later if he would just stop bench pressing, running the 40 and vertical jumping. I hate workout warriors.
Old 10-25-2006   #12
kingh99

Dude disrupts. I stayed home and watched the first half on TV last Sunday. then I got down to the park and enjoyed the second half at the 50 yard line. That's the only cool thing about poor attendance. I can get front row seats for the price of my cheapies. anyway Mario scares QB's. They fall down when they see him barreling. He got great push in the Jags game in the first half. He was pushing his guy into the QB. Mario's going to be good. As good as Seymour? That would be awesome. Seymour was as important as the QB in those Patriot SB years.
Old 10-25-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm grading Mario as an A-

Alot of the things being said is true, but we drafted Mario, not because he is an amazing pass rusher, but because he can be. & so far, everything I've seen shows me that he can.

He plays almost every snap, without actually counting, I'd bet he plays considerably more snaps than every other player. He shows plenty of energy, none of this "takes off some plays" stuff we were hearing.

He's definitely strong enough to bullrush everyone he's gone up against, and his speed is impressive........

but he plays like a rookie, and pass rushing doesn't look like his specialty..... but, he is a rookie, and I think he can totally dominate the running game, and still provide adequate pressure on the QB.

I think our game planning of rushing the QB on every down is hurting him more than anything.... we appear to play the QB first, and the run second, even against dominant running offenses like Washington, where too many times, we did exactly what the they wanted us to, leaving gaping holes in the middle of the line.

I think we should get back to basics, back to what we were told we were going to do when we payed Weaver $12 million. Stop the run, then get after the QB. Ever since we drafted Mario, all we talked about was getting after the QB, and it shows.

But I think Mario is doing great, and grades out as an A-....... our defensive coaching though grades much lower in my book.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is in the C+ to B- range IMO and as I had to pick B or C I gave him a B.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I voted B because he is progressing well according to my expectations. I knew he would take time to adjust to the NFL and I think he is noticably improving with every outing right now.

Soon enough he will be the beast that we all imagined him to be.
Old 10-25-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm grading him a "C" at this time. IMO, he has progressed nicely from the beginning of the season and will continue to broaden his NFL intelligence.
Old 10-25-2006   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm giving him a C, too. I'm grading him against Demeco, though, who I would give an A. It's not that Mario's doing a poor performance. He is causing disruption, and has some sacks and tackles. It's just that his performance is not accelerating as high as Demeco's, that's all. Both great players, though, and I think they will be a huge defensive machine in the NFL.
Old 10-25-2006   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give him a C because, although I think he has played at a B level for a rookie, his ceiling is so much higher than any other rookie at his position.

So, a B compared to normal rookies, but a C compared to where he should/could be... and will be.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

a solid B because:

one- he does not have a strong supporting cast around him on the D-Line so he can be focused on.
two- just learning life in the NFL & speed of the game
three- has played every game & not gotten hurt
four- generally seems well liked and puts the team 1st without showing attitude
five- has no off field character issues
six- becoming more disruptive making big plays that will only increase intensity
seven- tries everything the coaches experiment with him without complaint
eight- as he improves the Texans defense seems to respond & play with better effort all around
nine- looking forward (DRAFT) I see NO ONE who approaches his talent level, meaning Mario Williams is a unique talent
ten- is learning in the NFL how to not take plays off showing a more consistant effort each & every play

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #20
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I was afraid to grade him. He seems pretty big on TV, and if I said something bad, he may be a computer nerd with the ability to look up my IP address and come grade ME in person. I'll pass
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read