Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-24-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy NFL owners approve two international games

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.

The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.

No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.

The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home game during that span.

Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.

"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated.

"We're comfortable with it. Obviously we'd like to play in Mexico or Canada and not have to travel to Europe and that's probably the way it would be set up because of our location. But as far as the league's concerned, I think it's a great idea."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States when the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium, the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The league also has played numerous exhibition games overseas for the past two decades. The New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will play a preseason game next August in Beijing.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world. The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide," Goodell said.

Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said last month the league believes fans in a number of countries are now ready for the real thing. NFL games regularly have been televised live in Mexico and Canada and more recently in Europe, notably Britain.

"The preseason games and American Bowl games have worked well to introduce fans to the game," Waller said. "Once fans have gotten to know it and understand it, they are very aware that the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl are the real thing."
That sucks. I don't want to miss a Texans game because they're playing in Mexico City or Toronto or anywhere else. I can see this being done with baseball or basketball because they're so many home games, but we only have 8 homes games per year in the NFL and I don't really want to lose one just to have it more widely known internationally. Preseason games I'd be fine with, but I don't like the idea of regular season games in another country, even if it's only twice during a 16 year span.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL owners approve two international games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That sucks. I don't want to miss a Texans game because they're playing in Mexico City or Toronto or anywhere else. I can see this being done with baseball or basketball because they're so many home games, but we only have 8 homes games per year in the NFL and I don't really want to lose one just to have it more widely known internationally. Preseason games I'd be fine with, but I don't like the idea of regular season games in another country, even if it's only twice during a 16 year span.
Completely agreed. This is ridiculous! I want my Texans "home" games to be at home!
Old 10-24-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 26880 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

They'll try it for a little while before they realize how impractical it is to fly a team overseas for one weekend.
Old 10-24-2006   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright, but they have to start playing regular season Canadian football games here in America.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Alright, but they have to start playing regular season Canadian football games here in America.
We all want to see how Ricky Williams is performing!
Old 10-25-2006   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
And they have to have English Premier League soccer in the United States. If we're going to have our best football played in Europe for one game, we have to have their best football in the United States for one game. Fair is fair.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think its a great idea....and before you ask, yes i am from europe
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2006   #8
profan
Veteran

Well, my next year maybe we can make up that lost home game with a home playoff game. Wish the owners would have eliminated a preseaon game or two.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #9
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 81989 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
It should be an away game for both teams so that home games are intact AND it has to be aired nationwide. Fair is fair.
I don't think that's possible. Somebody would have to lose a home game.
Old 10-25-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't catch it all, but on the NFL channel they said something was under consideration for like 3 games in the UK or possibel 7 in Germany??? I could see a game or 2 in Europe, but that's about it. I would go to London ( theNew Wembley stadium would be great) for one or Berlin/Munich, because I go on buisness to those places, but I doubt many from the US would go.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Me either!! I knew this was coming and I hate it!! It's like stabbing hard working, diehard football fans in the back for being loyal and supportive of OUR teams!! SOME of us work our butts off taking on extra hours, working 2-3 jobs, just to pay for our chosen entertainment from Aug to Jan!! I don't want ONE of my games taken away from me!!! That's a fact!! This is all about putting MONEY in the pockets of NFL owers, not because they want to broaden the interest in football in other countries. They are putting the screws to the fans who have made NFL football what it is today! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #12
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the NFL will send the two teams that have the worst home attendance, cause if they send a team that sells out everygame, they will lose money, but i dunno, its good for fan base, but sucks for home team fans
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #13
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

This is all a pre-cursor for NFL expansion into other countries.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #14
texansfanquecaneh
Rookie

Quote:

As a Canadian, I would love to see the Texans in person. On the other hand, if they were to play a game in Toronto, I would feel like I'm taking somebody's belongings for myself. I wouldn't feel right about it. Someday, I'll take my son to Houston for a game (when he's older). That way I'm not taking from the rightful owner. Also, the ambiance would be much different if it would be a ¨neutral¨site.
Plus, if they will do this; the game has to be at a neutral site. The obvious choice in Canada would be Toronto, but that means Buffalo should not be allowed to play there, because it would be an extra home game for them. They have too many (arrogant) fans there. Good thing their fan base is not Canada wide. But there aren't that many other stadiums to choose from. I only see Vancouver, Edmonton and maybe Montreal (the CFL team doesn't even use Olympic Stadium).
I like NFL football more than any other sport, but I believe there are more deserving places to host NFL games than up here in Canada.
texansfanquecaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #15
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

On the bright side, I know I will get to see at least 2 Texans games here in San Antonio.:brickwall
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree completely.

And I have to wonder if the 9 game season ticket holders will be paying full price, too. I'd lead a fan revolt if our Texans played a home game on the road and we had to pay full price for an entire season ticket package.

If the NFL expands beyond 32 teams, the talent pool will continue to be diluted, and the product will suffer. I can see a point where the league gets too big and they shoot the golden goose.
Old 10-25-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely.

And I have to wonder if the 9 game season ticket holders will be paying full price, too. I'd lead a fan revolt if our Texans played a home game on the road and we had to pay full price for an entire season ticket package.

If the NFL expands beyond 32 teams, the talent pool will continue to be diluted, and the product will suffer. I can see a point where the league gets too big and they shoot the golden goose.
What if they give you plane tickets, room and board, and...a foam finger?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
What if they give you plane tickets, room and board, and...a foam finger?
I'm on it! The foam finger seals the deal.
Old 10-25-2006   #19
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Relax people, the Texans are no where good enough to be one of those teams going overseas, Mexico maybe. Look for Dallas, NY, or Indy, as they are world known teams, sending Houston would not mean much to the sales of gear.

Now I would be a little pissed as well if they took a home game away from whatever team it was that goes and still charged me, then again, it is nuts they charge full price for a pre season game when the players are 3rd-4th stringers playing. Not fair to charge the same price for a watered down product that most guys wont be in the league after camp anyways..

Oh well, just be happy Houston won't be going...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #20
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if anyone has considered this or not, but isn't there a lower average income in Mexico? To say the the "fans" there are going to spend the same cost that we spend on ticket prices would be a little far fetched IMHO. Maybe they are banking on the huge amounts of people that would show up to offset that price. I don't know, let's do a comparison for a moment:

Reliant stadium: 70,000 fans +/- @ $50.00 avg. ticket = 3.5 million dollars.

Stadium in Mexico: 100,000 fans +/- @ $25.00 avg. ticket =2.5 million dollars.

I'd stay home in Houston and give it to the "true fans". Maybe they are expecting this to turn into a huge world wide sport and line their pockets more. I think it would be a huge distraction and disadvantage for a team to travel to another country on a 17 hour flight to play a game and turn around and come home, get past the jet lag, and get ready for another road game. Totally unfair IMHO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read