Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Finally Leadership and whaa Laa!!! A W.

I like where Mckinney said that Carr came in the huddle and told the team we need to score now. Earlier in the week I mentioned how Carr didn't show any leadership. I am sure Carr does this alot but he may have been more profound this time because you never heard anybody say what Carr says in the huddle until the day after we put on our best performance as a team since our inception.

If Carr can keep that up with his level of play, this team can get to the corner and turn it.

I think it was nice to see our own Kailee Wong contribute in that department also but Ryans is becoming the man lately.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #2
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Finally Leadership and whaa Laa!!! A W.

Moulds also said that Carr was the Leader of that game. Good to hear. He definitely shows WAY more confidence.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

leadership = telling the team 'we need to score now' ???
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Moulds has played a big part in Carr's leadership ability. I hear he has been taking Carr and Andre out to dinner to talk about intagibles, not just playing the game
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Battle Red Day
We always play the Jaguars well.
Buchannon replaced with Faggins' returning FORCED FUMBLE
Wong coming back
Jaguars having multiple injuries
Lundy successfull at running the ball
Peek stripping the ball

What do all those things add up to? Wow! Suddenly Carr is a leader! If the Titans entire starting lineup is somehow unable to play next Sunday, Carr will be the leader of all leaders.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting to see when Vince Young will cease being a leader simply because the Titans suck.

Old 10-24-2006   #7
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
leadership = telling the team 'we need to score now' ???
I know your being sarcastic but that is EXACTLY what leadership is. Guidance and Direction. He pointed them in the direction...which as scoring and then he guided the scoring drive. That is what leadership is....no fancy lasers, strobe lights, smoke machines, or emotional background music playing. Leadership is often a few words, followed my a few simple actions.

Just like a soldier saying, "We need to take that hill" or "We need to destroy that bunker", and then they start running forward.

the fact that Carr then led them down the field to score is what capped it.

Telling some one what to do then helping them do it is LEADERSHIP.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I'm sure Carr has said that before and the running game continued to suck and/or passes were dropped repeatedly, and/or coaches called bad plays, and/or he was sacked repeatedly by free and unblocked blitzers (not necesarilly talking about only this year). That's not even mentioning the times when, God forbid, he actually made a mistake himself.

The leader of this team is Gary Kubiak. Everybody else needs to get in line.

Old 10-24-2006   #9
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Battle Red Day
Wong coming back
Peek stripping the ball

What do all those things add up to? Wow! Suddenly Carr is a leader! If the Titans entire starting lineup is somehow unable to play next Sunday, Carr will be the leader of all leaders.
:brickwall :brickwall

No all of those things add up to a win. The fact that the Texans players are saying he is and believing he is their leader and the fact he IS leading this team makes him a leader.
But I guess you know more about the behind the scenes player relationships than Moulds and McKinny.
Anyway enjoy the game Sunday as you watch DAVID CARR LEAD us to another VICTORY.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #10
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure Carr has said that before and the running game continued to suck and/or passes were dropped repeatedly, and/or coaches called bad plays, and/or he was sacked repeatedly by free and unblocked blitzers (not necesarilly talking about only this year). That's not even mentioning the times when, God forbid, he actually made a mistake himself.

The leader of this team is Gary Kubiak. Everybody else needs to get in line.
I seriously hope you dont want just 1 guy on this team being a leader. It is something that you must get from more than 1 source. Kubiak is not on the feild to lead them to a game winning score in the last two minutes so you better hope he is not the only leader on this team you need guys like Carr to be a leader because players look at each other for an example to not just the coaches.
Old 10-24-2006   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan View Post
:brickwall :brickwall

No all of those things add up to a win. The fact that the Texans players are saying he is and believing he is their leader and the fact he IS leading this team makes him a leader.
But I guess you know more about the behind the scenes player relationships than Moulds and McKinny.
Anyway enjoy the game Sunday as you watch DAVID CARR LEAD us to another VICTORY.
They are saying that because they can and it sounds all nice and PR. The fact is that Carr has been a leader on a bad team (most of the time, anyway) for almost 4.5 yrs. Anyone who can't see that doesn't have a good grasp of the fact that it's a TEAM sport and no one player on the field is just going to take over games and win them, especially not consistently.

Don't even talk about Vince Young because just for starters his D was better than the one he ran all over and that's the difference in the game.

I just get tired of all this, "We lost, let's get a new QB....oh! We won! We have a good QB now!" crapola. There's eleven players out there and that's only on the offense. Nothing against Carr at all, but that one catch by AJ, which could have been a pick, by the way, had more to do with this win than everything Carr did combined, including his "leadership".

Old 10-24-2006   #12
canadiantexan
Veteran

I just get tired of all this, "We lost, let's get a new QB....oh! We won! We have a good QB now!" crapola. There's eleven players out there and that's only on the offense. Nothing against Carr at all, but that one catch by AJ, which could have been a pick, by the way, had more to do with this win than everything Carr did combined, including his "leadership".[/quote]

I agree I'm not trying to say Carr is our leader. I'm just trying to say he is one of them. In order to win in the NFL you need leaders and not just one of them (Kubiak) as someone else stated. I believe you need them all the way from owner of the team to the long snapper. and yes I do think AJ is one of our leaders.
But I just dont think one catch went further towards are win than 18 completions two touchdowns and no picks just imho.
Old 10-24-2006   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Battle Red Day
Wong coming back
Peek stripping the ball

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

I mean, all he said was that Carr came into the huddle and told them that they needed to score "now" to kill off the Jaguars. I gotta' admit that if we DON'T score, we probably have our defense peeved and exhausted enough to once again let a team drive down the field and possibly drive a nail in OUR coffin. The shots of our secondary during the drive that ended with the Taylor fumble showed guys with hands on their hips...fatigued...grasping at straws as to how to stop the Jaguars on what seemed to be a sure-fire TD drive by the Jags.

For Carr to come in and communicate that anything less than a score is unacceptable...and then to march down and accomplish it...tells me that he is doing what a lot of you think he hasn't been doing: Vocally leading the huddle and commanding it.

Still scratching my head as to why some of you are absoultely going off on one of our own board members like that. Amazing.
Old 10-24-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan View Post
I seriously hope you dont want just 1 guy on this team being a leader. It is something that you must get from more than 1 source. Kubiak is not on the feild to lead them to a game winning score in the last two minutes so you better hope he is not the only leader on this team you need guys like Carr to be a leader because players look at each other for an example to not just the coaches.
You need some players to play well enough and lead by example. You might need some of them to do a little cheerleading (if the coach is not doing his job well enough). You don't necesarilly need the QB to be one of those players. He has a position to play and that is all that is really necesarry from him.

Most of all, he can be the greatest "leader" there ever was and many of these people would call him a joke and say that his lack of "leadership" was the problem if he played on a team of below average talent over-all. Give me 5 no-talent linemen and some ***** coach (liek Pendry) and I'll show you a QB with no "leadership" qualities.

Old 10-24-2006   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
For Carr to come in and communicate that anything less than a score is unacceptable...and then to march down and accomplish it...
So, did he not have 10 other players on the field? I don't remember Carr doing diddly squat by himself. As far as what he said, my point is that he's probably said things similar to that dozens of times before and, most of the time, it was a hopeless case. Talk is cheap. "Leadership" in many cases is a mirage.

This is absolutely nothing against Carr. This is a defense of him against all the past, "Carr is not a leader," bologne.

As far as the, "That's a little harsh..." stuff, I don't mean to be all angry at the the starter of this thread (whom I've long since forgotten) or any other individual. I just don't like the "leadership" bologne.

Old 10-24-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I like where Mckinney said that Carr came in the huddle and told the team we need to score now. Earlier in the week I mentioned how Carr didn't show any leadership. I am sure Carr does this alot but he may have been more profound this time because you never heard anybody say what Carr says in the huddle until the day after we put on our best performance as a team since our inception.

If Carr can keep that up with his level of play, this team can get to the corner and turn it.

I think it was nice to see our own Kailee Wong contribute in that department also but Ryans is becoming the man lately.
Two of you guys who are excercising your sarcasm muscles need to point out to me where exactly in ElTejano's post you are coming up with your clever quips.

Seriously, when did he say that Carr is the PERFECT leader? He didn't.

When did he compare him to Vince Young? He didn't bring VY into it.

When did he say that he wanted to get rid of Carr and now he wants him to stay? He isn't saying that.

Who peed in you guys' Cheerios this morning? Because al you are doing is being hateful about something that I rather enjoyed: People here (not naming names) say that Carr needs to be more vocal as a leader...BINGO! Real proof that he isn't just wandering around like a lost puppy as some would have us believe.

Thank you, El Tejano, for sharing your observation.
Old 10-24-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Like I said, it's not El Tejano. It's the word "leadership", which has been used by others time and time again against Carr. I'm surprised our reaction wasn't expected actually.

Old 10-24-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
So, did he not have 10 other players on the field? I don't remember Carr doing diddly squat by himself. As far as what he said, my point is that he's probably said things similar to that dozens of times before and, most of the time, it was a hopeless case. Talk is cheap. "Leadership" in many cases is a mirage.

This is absolutely nothing against Carr. This is a defense of him against all the past, "Carr is not a leader," bologne.

As far as the, "That's a little harsh..." stuff, I don't mean to be all angry at the the starter of this thread (whom I've long since forgotten) or any other individual. I just don't like the "leadership" bologne.
I think it'd be wise for us to try and not personalize our responses as if someone else is sooooooo stupid for saying something. And I felt that's what you were doing to El Tejano. Marcus was doing just about the same thing, but then again it's par for the course for him to rag someone.

We're looking at a Texans team that needs EVERYONE to be as vocal and as direct in their leadership skills as David Carr. Again: I have seen numerous threads and posts on this very topic ("David Carr doesn't care" or "David doesn't get in the face of his players when he should" etc.) and El tejano is showing us that at a pivotal point in the game...the guy was very forceful that we don't just stay safe and run the ball or stay too conservative, etc.

I saw a Leftwich who was looking like he was at a funeral yesterday. Is THAT leadership? Nope. I think Carr, for whatever reason, naturally acts in a way that draws people to dislike him no matter what he does. Not sure if it's the Christianity thing, his looks, what he says in the media sometimes. Puzzles me.

Re-trace your words at the start of this thread and pretend you can detach yourself from your own emotions on this topic. If someone wrote what you said (and it was directed at YOU) would you think you'd jusy been slammed? I would.
Old 10-24-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I just have a strong disagreement. There's not hate here.

Old 10-24-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I thought being a leader was pointing out John Candy in the stands?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read