Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default Kube and The Running Back Situation...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Wali Lundy and all but do you think that it's possible that Kube will be looking for another runinng back for next year maybe from the draft or maybe out of free angency?
Old 10-24-2006   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kube and The Running Back Situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Wali Lundy and all but do you think that it's possible that Kube will be looking for another runinng back for next year maybe from the draft or maybe out of free angency?
I think that with DD's return next season still in question and the poor production so far this season in the running game you would have to be looking to upgrade the position . Lundy has had one good game so far in the regular season and had flashes in the pre-season ..... If Lundy or Gado turn it on for the duration of this season then maybe not . But at this point I say the answer to your question is an easy one ..... Yes .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Denver always has a bunch of running backs. I expect the same here in Houston, regardless of DDs health.

Even if we had drafted Reggie Bush, Vernand Morency would probably have been traded, RonDayne still would have been picked up, and we'd still look to draft a running back in the '07 draft.

"the system" can only do so much. an equal part of it's success, is to throw a bunch of guys at it, and see who produces.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

We'll keep on drafting to support the system, but it won't be a first-rounder. We didn't take Reggie Bush last year, and we won't take Running Back X next year.
Old 10-24-2006   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand how people can sit here and say that Kubiak wouldn't use teh first round pick on a running back, when we tried to trade back into the first round to grba running back in last year's draft.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #6
grnydrowave
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't understand how people can sit here and say that Kubiak wouldn't use teh first round pick on a running back, when we tried to trade back into the first round to grba running back in last year's draft.
Only one guy is saying that. And I don't understand what you mean about "trying to trade back into the first round to grab an RB". Clarify please?
grnydrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnydrowave View Post
Only one guy is saying that. And I don't understand what you mean about "trying to trade back into the first round to grab an RB". Clarify please?
The story on draft day was that the Texans tried pretty hard to trade back into the first to grab D. Williams or possibly Moroney.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It has been stated before that The Texans were trying to use the 2nd round pick to trade back into the first round with Buffalo so we could get Deangelo Williams from Memphis.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #9
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Denver always has a bunch of running backs. I expect the same here in Houston, regardless of DDs health.

well right now, tatum bell is Denver's only reall rb, and he's getting 20+ carries a game for the past few weeks. it is my personal feeling that the texans need a primary, regular back that gets those 20+ carries. jmo.
Old 10-24-2006   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
It has been stated before that The Texans were trying to use the 2nd round pick to trade back into the first round with Buffalo so we could get Deangelo Williams from Memphis.
Well, considering who they got in the 2nd round, I'm glad they were unsuccessful.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8 View Post
well right now, tatum bell is Denver's only reall rb, and he's getting 20+ carries a game for the past few weeks. it is my personal feeling that the texans need a primary, regular back that gets those 20+ carries. jmo.
I agree with that.... but they also have MikeBell, and someone else, just in case Tatum couldn't get it done.

I believe Denver has always wanted 1 guy, but it looked like they were going RBC, because they tried so many people out. They want one back to get the majority of the carries, and define the run game, then a back to spell him.

But they'll continue to try different RBs at that situation.... They might realize they are having a hard time getting a Franchise WR if Jevon doesn't work out, and trade Tatum for B.Berium or RoyWilliams or something.

I'm not insinuating that they are even thinking about doing anything like that, but saying they might use Tatum as Capitol the way they used ClintonPortis.
Old 10-24-2006   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with that.... but they also have MikeBell, and someone else, just in case Tatum couldn't get it done.

I believe Denver has always wanted 1 guy, but it looked like they were going RBC, because they tried so many people out. They want one back to get the majority of the carries, and define the run game, then a back to spell him.

But they'll continue to try different RBs at that situation.... They might realize they are having a hard time getting a Franchise WR if Jevon doesn't work out, and trade Tatum for B.Berium or RoyWilliams or something.

I'm not insinuating that they are even thinking about doing anything like that, but saying they might use Tatum as Capitol the way they used ClintonPortis.
Javon Walker looks like he is gonna work out just fine for the Broncos
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8 View Post
Very early in the year they threw out facts about Bell. The past two years his numbers have dropped off considerably as the year goes on (he also had a huge dropoff when he got 11+ carries). Lets see if he wears down this year too.
Old 10-24-2006   #14
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I would love to pick have Marshawn Lynch or Maybe Kenny Irons. I'm sure if it will happen tho.. wit Peterson out for the season and coming back next year most likely. And wit the injury to Michael Bush both of these supposedly being the first 2 backs taken.. it's going to push the RB class up higher in the draft.. Instead of Peterson then Bush then Lynch then Irons it will make it Lynch then Irons then so on.
Old 10-24-2006   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston View Post
I would love to pick have Marshawn Lynch or Maybe Kenny Irons. I'm sure if it will happen tho.. wit Peterson out for the season and coming back next year most likely. And wit the injury to Michael Bush both of these supposedly being the first 2 backs taken.. it's going to push the RB class up higher in the draft.. Instead of Peterson then Bush then Lynch then Irons it will make it Lynch then Irons then so on.
Do you mean you think Peterson is going back to OU next year?

As long as he heals correctly I cant see a collarbone injury delaying his draft decision
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

With all of the good RB's in the draft next year, I think there is a good chance that one will fall to the second round. But I think that if we have the chance to get Marshawn Lynch we should take him. He is a complete back who would do very well in our system.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Javon Walker looks like he is gonna work out just fine for the Broncos
Like I said, I'm not trying to insinuate anything, just making up an example.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
With all of the good RB's in the draft next year, I think there is a good chance that one will fall to the second round. But I think that if we have the chance to get Marshawn Lynch we should take him. He is a complete back who would do very well in our system.
Instead of asking ourselves if this guy or that guy would be perfect for our system, we need to look at the backs Denver/Kubiak has drafted to work in their system.

ClintonPortis & Tatum Bell are two backs Denver/Kubiak felt good enough to draft in the second round..... D'AngeloWilliams/LawrenceMoroney one of them had Kubiak trying to move up in the draft to pick, at the expense of a player like DemecoRyans.

OlandisGary, Mike Anderson, & Terrell Davis are also guys Denver/Kubiak felt good enough about to aquire in the draft(I think they drafted those guys)

What was it about those guys that Denver liked?? and who in the upcoming draft shares most of those traights.

I haven't seen much of Marshawn Lynch, & while I do like his style, I don't think he is in the same mold as the guys Denver/Kubiak usually go after.
Old 10-24-2006   #18
real

Originally I wanted one of the top tier backs....but I changed my mind...

I think we'd get more value by picking an OL or defensive player...

Right now Im hoping we go OL or DB in the first...preferably Safety
Old 10-24-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Free safety!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The story on draft day was that the Texans tried pretty hard to trade back into the first to grab D. Williams or possibly Moroney.
I dunno, but this is all but common knowledge and had we have somehow gotten Moroney, we would have gotten a more complete running back than
Reggie Boy, who simply can't run inside. And isn't 2007 a strong Draft for running backs ? Once again, very good back(s) may be on the Board in late
first or the second round ?
But lets face it, we will probably be picking top 10 in 2007 (if not top 5 - I liked the win against the Jags, but I'm not ready to say we turned the year
around), and I'm doubful Kubiak uses that high a pick on a back.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read