Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-24-2006   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ted Ginn

I would like to hear some thoughts about this kid. I have always had the opinion that he was over-hyped because he has that Reggie Bush home run potential.
He doesnt seem to have very good hands for a top tier WR and he doesnt run very good routes. I think if he could transition to CB he would be a monster with his speed, but he obviously doesnt like contact. He is one of those guys that runs out of bounds a yard short of the first down to avoid getting hit
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #2
real

Default Re: Ted Ginn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would like to hear some thoughts about this kid. I have always had the opinion that he was over-hyped because he has that Reggie Bush home run potential.
He doesnt seem to have very good hands for a top tier WR and he doesnt run very good routes. I think if he could transition to CB he would be a monster with his speed, but he obviously doesnt like contact. He is one of those guys that runs out of bounds a yard short of the first down to avoid getting hit
I think he is a little bit better version of Jerome Mathis...
Old 10-24-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks really really fast. I've heard ESPN say he is the fastest college football player in the nation. I dont know how they judge that, but it could play into his potential. Mel Kiper said at one point that he could be the first WR drafted.
Old 10-24-2006   #4
real

Question Re: Ted Ginn

Quote:
Mel Kiper said at one point that he could be the first WR drafted.
I didn't hear that but if someone drafts him over Calvin Johnson....

Id be really....really....really.....really............. ....really.....shocked
Old 10-24-2006   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I didn't hear that but if someone drafts him over Calvin Johnson....

Id be really....really....really.....really............. ....really.....shocked
Yeah you know you are the real deal when you dont even get the ball and scouts are still drooling
Old 10-24-2006   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Ted Ginn

Like Troy, we (OSU fans) have watched him grow. He has learned how to catch balls, run North and South, and ESPECIALLY run routes. Watch some OSU games from 2004, you'll see what I mean.

Or watch the Alamo Bowl against OSU, when Troy was suspended and Zwick was hurt, Ginn played QB for a few plays!

He's a Hell of an athlete, and gets a little more refined each year. Not sure where he's best suited in the NFL.

If nothign else, for OSU he draws double teams and leave Gonzales open!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all, I will state that OSU will lose to Michigan at home.

Secondly, I will state that Ginn is a overhyped Mathis. He does the same thing, but since hes on OSU, gets more props.

Ginn is a nice prospect, and a better receiver than Mathis, but what is that really saying? Ginn goes bottom 1/2 of round 1.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2006   #8
real

I hope some sucker GM takes Ginn and leaves good players on the board...More for us....
Old 10-24-2006   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Ginn is not a bad pick...he is actually a very good wide receiver. He runs his routes nicely and has the agility to give good fakes. Why do you think he gets so open at times? He is a much better route runner than Mathis and has better hands.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Ginn is not a bad pick...he is actually a very good wide receiver. He runs his routes nicely and has the agility to give good fakes. Why do you think he gets so open at times? He is a much better route runner than Mathis and has better hands.
the only reason he gets open is because he is so fast. I have not been impressed by his route running
Old 10-24-2006   #11
real

Quote:
. He runs his routes nicely and has the agility to ...
I question his Agility...
Old 10-24-2006   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He looks really really fast. I've heard ESPN say he is the fastest college football player in the nation. I dont know how they judge that, but it could play into his potential. Mel Kiper said at one point that he could be the first WR drafted.
He will be. I will not be surprised when he is in the top 5 overall either....

Calvin who?
Old 10-24-2006   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I question his Agility...
I'd say he was about as agile as anyone in the NCAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007
I have not been impressed by his route running
He is more good with head fakes and moves at this point. His route running is improving. The guy is alot like a Santana Moss or a Coles.

The guy would make a nasty slot matchup.
Old 10-24-2006   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd say he was about as agile as anyone in the NCAA.

He is more good with head fakes and moves at this point. His route running is improving. The guy is alot like a Santana Moss or a Coles.
head fakes dont work in the NFL unless Phillip Buchanon is covering you
Old 10-24-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the only reason he gets open is because he is so fast. I have not been impressed by his route running
IMO even the best NFL bound WRs from the NCAA have limited route running abilities.... it is something that can be worked on in the NFL. As for raw speed.... you can't TEACH that. Same with agility. To me Ginn has everything he needs.

I believe the same thing about Mathis. I wish he would get healthy....
Old 10-24-2006   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
head fakes dont work in the NFL unless Phillip Buchanon is covering you
When you combine it with a lightning fast step to the inside, and then a lightning fast move to the outside...they work.
Old 10-24-2006   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
you can't TEACH that. Same with agility. To me Ginn has everything he needs.

I believe the same thing about Mathis. I wish he would get healthy....
Now i know you don't know what agility is....

If you think Mathis has good agility you are sadly mistaken...
Old 10-24-2006   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Now i know you don't know what agility is....

If you think Mathis has good agility you are sadly mistaken...
Agility is measured by the 3-cone drill...so we will see how Ted Ginn does in this drill....if he runs it...my guess is that he would place in the top 5 of the combine.
Old 10-24-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Agility is measured by the 3-cone drill...so we will see how Ted Ginn does in this drill....if he runs it...my guess is that he would place in the top 5 of the combine.
I don't need a 3 cone drill to tell whether someone has agility or not....

you can watch the game and see how a player cuts, and jukes....

From what i've seen out of Ginn he is just like Jerome Mathis....They can run straight ahead really fast, but when it comes making a move they aren't really all that good...Ginn is probably a little better than Mathis at that but that is the reason Mathis can return kicks well, but isn't that good at punt returns...
Old 10-24-2006   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't need a 3 cone drill to tell whether someone has agility or not....

you can watch the game and see how a player cuts, and jukes....

From what i've seen out of Ginn he is just like Jerome Mathis....They can run straight ahead really fast, but when it comes making a move they aren't really all that good...Ginn is probably a little better than Mathis at that but that is the reason Mathis can return kicks well, but isn't that good at punt returns...
Oh ya of course, I agree with you, you dont NEEd a 3 cone drill. But it helps in determining how one players agility is compared to a group of agile guys or maybe even one other guy.

Ginn seems to have plenty of "making a move" at high speeds. (agility). Take a look at this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg. I think you may have this idea because of how fast he moves. His agility is very fluid....he doesn't jolt and jerk one way, much like Reggie Bush did, he changes direction very fluidly.

He may not have the most agility out of anyone in the NCAA, but he has enough of it to say he is agile.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read