Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-23-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tike Barber retirement

Peter King wrote an article about Tiki Barber in his Monday Morning Quarterback.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ber/index.html

After reading the article, I respect Tiki Barber a whole lot. He's leaving millions on the table to go out on his terms to probably get into broadcasting, either in sports or politics. From the way some of these athletes present themselves, it seems that all they care about is themselves. Tiki Barber seems to be different. I don't know much about Tiki, but if kids want a role model in the NFL forget Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, or anyone like that. Tiki Barber seems like a good guy.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tike Barber retirement

ESPN is really taking shots at this guy for wanting to retire cuz he will make $8 million next year. I guess they think that every single player only cares about money
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has always been one of my favorite players. And that is hard for me to say cuz I hate everyone on the Giants roster except their O-line & D-line
Old 10-24-2006   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
It's just too difficult to not like Tiki. He's such a nice guy. He could make a fortune doing toothpaste ads. I don't think anyone in the league has teeth like those twins!
No kidding. they could be fake tho. those dudes are bankin some heavy cash
Old 10-24-2006   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

saw this on page 2 and thought it was good (and pretty true)

Quote:
I have to admit, I don't even know if I'm going to watch the Cowboys-Giants game tonight. It's just that I can't stomach watching … well, I'm just going to call him "the player" like Bill Parcells would. "The player" can flash his big smile all he wants to and write children's books to his heart's content, but there's no way I can ever respect someone who decided it was appropriate to announce in mid-October that he is probably going to retire at the end of the season. That announcement has caused a big distraction for the Giants and serves no real purpose other than for "the player" to bring attention to himself and cause people to fawn all over him for the rest of the season.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
ESPN is really taking shots at this guy for wanting to retire cuz he will make $8 million next year. I guess they think that every single player only cares about money
I don't understand it much. He is still obviously in shape to play and he can make alot of money playing another year...you would think he just lost his passion for the game, but if he is going to leave to be a broadcaster? He is still going to be around football. Maybe he just doesn't want to "play" anymore. I think he is going to regret this...you should play as long as you are able...instead of sitting in the booth talking about other players when you know damn well you could be out there playing.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't understand it much. He is still obviously in shape to play and he can make alot of money playing another year...you would think he just lost his passion for the game, but if he is going to leave to be a broadcaster? He is still going to be around football. Maybe he just doesn't want to "play" anymore. I think he is going to regret this...you should play as long as you are able...instead of sitting in the booth talking about other players when you know damn well you could be out there playing.
on his TV interview he said something like he doesnt want to be one of those guys that cant walk when he's done. He wants to go out on his own terms
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2006   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
on his TV interview he said something like he doesnt want to be one of those guys that cant walk when he's done. He wants to go out on his own terms
If he played his contract out he may be able to WALK into the hall of fame.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Just imagine how good Tronde Barber (Tiki & Ronde) would be if it was one person instead of two. They had to split their talent halfway at birth and are still awesome
Old 10-24-2006   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just imagine how good Tronde Barber (Tiki & Ronde) would be if it was one person instead of two.
twice as good???
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #11
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Tiki and Ronde have written 3 children's books and have many interests outside the league. Last night he reported to ESPN, broadcasted during the game, that he is really feeling his years in the NFL. He says he's getting really banged up. Shortly thereafter he took that hit that caused a fumble and went down.

He'll do well in whatever he does. He clearly has other things to accomplish while he's still young.
I actually have one of the books for my little, it's not bad, teaches good lessons.
Old 10-24-2006   #12
kingh99

Quote:
If I was RB all I would care about was the money. RB is a mercenary position. Also a suicide position. There's a reason these guys retire early. There's a reason why the ones that succeed are slightly (greatly?) warped. My prototype RB would be Clinton Portis. I think he enjoys receiving as much as giving pain. Definitely an oddball. Ditto guys like Sweetness, Riggins, poor ole Earl, these guys ran themselves to death. Then you got the guys that retired way early because they tired of being the target for maximum punishment from 11 of the most physically fit headhunters in the world every Sunday.
Old 10-24-2006   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tiki is great. I love the Direct TV commercial, he is having fun.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just my opinion, but I would retire even earlier, if I were an NFL runningback. All that money you already have and you're putting you're health in such jeopardy. I guess I might feel different if I was all caught up in wanting my team to win though and felt that I was a necesarry part of that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
If I was RB all I would care about was the money. RB is a mercenary position. Also a suicide position. There's a reason these guys retire early. There's a reason why the ones that succeed are slightly (greatly?) warped. My prototype RB would be Clinton Portis. I think he enjoys receiving as much as giving pain. Definitely an oddball. Ditto guys like Sweetness, Riggins, poor ole Earl, these guys ran themselves to death. Then you got the guys that retired way early because they tired of being the target for maximum punishment from 11 of the most physically fit headhunters in the world every Sunday.
I still feel sorry for Earl. He didnt run himself to death. The Oilers ran him to death cuz he was the only thing that worked for them
Old 10-24-2006   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

And no Superbowl. That is what I would play for. A Superbowl win. Ronde got one, surprised Tiki doesn't want to try a few more years to get one.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read