Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2006   #1
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

Default Owen Daniels is the best...

Rookie Tight end this year. A while back, I posted some stats for the NFL rookies to see how the did when compaired to each other. But I don't think i included tight-ends. And now with a quick look at NFL.com, I see Owen Daniels ahead of all his peers. AND HE WAS DRAFTED 98TH.

Good for you Daniels, keep up the good work- and I'm thankful we have you on our TEAM!!

O. Daniels 9 catches, 84 yards, 3 TDs, picked 98th
J. Klopfenstein 7 catches, 118 yards, 1 TD, picked 46th
V. Davis 5 catches, 37 yards, 1 TD, picked 6th
L. Pope 4 catches, 50 yards, 0 TD, picked 72nd
M. Lewis 2 catches, 40 yards, 0 TD, picked 28th
D. Thomas 2 catches, 40 yards, 0 TD, picked 86th
A. Fasano 3 catches, 39 yards, 0 TD, picked 53
T. Scheffler 2 catches, 16 yards, 0 TD, picked 61

Most of these TE were highly rated (V. Davis and Pope) and, I know we have to play the rest of the season, but It's nice to see our rookies doing better that their peers.
Texans Front Row Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #2
Glacier
Veteran

Default Re: Owen Daniels is the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Front Row Crew View Post
Rookie Tight end this year. I while back I post some stats for the rookies to see how the did when compaired to each other. But I don't think i included tight-ends. And now with a quick look at NFL.com, I see Owen Daniels ahead of all his peers. AND HE WAS DRAFTED 98TH.

Good for you Daniels, keep up the good work- and I'm thankful we have you on our TEAM!!

Most of these TE were highly rated (V. Davis and Pope) and, I know we have to play the rest of the season, but It's nice to see our rookies doing better that their peers.
V Davis has been hurt. That guy is a beast. Pope...I actually liked his size quite a bit.

Fasano is being used as an H-Back to block more than as a pass catcher.

This offense that Kubiak runs does seem to be pretty good for tight ends. Shannon Sharpe comes to mind....
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #3
JEB2ATX
Rookie

I agree V. Davis has been hurt but that still can't count against Owen Daniels and his tremendous ability to block and catch the ball effectively in every game.

V. Davis would've got my vote but you can't count that against Owen. He has stayed healthy. To not be a first rounder he is great!!!
Old 10-23-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Daniels has turned out to be a quality pick to date, hopefully he will scale accordingly. The fact that his HC, OC and/or QB look to him in the red zone, and he makes the plays, tells me everything as he performs his pass catching duties as a TE.
Old 10-23-2006   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Front Row Crew View Post
Rookie Tight end this year. A while back, I posted some stats for the NFL rookies to see how the did when compaired to each other. But I don't think i included tight-ends. And now with a quick look at NFL.com, I see Owen Daniels ahead of all his peers. AND HE WAS DRAFTED 98TH.

He was a very, very nice pick for us. I love his ability to get open. A little more experience blocking and I think we'll have one of the leagues best at the position.
Old 10-23-2006   #6
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

I didn't know about Fasano, ( he is still listed as a TE on NFL.com) and just a note: I thought M. Colston (NO) was a TE converted to WR, that seems to be working well. I'll look for any other converted to TEs and update.
Texans Front Row Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #7
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

if he would have ran the right route when they were in the south end zone he would have had another TD added on that list. That was a beautiful play that turned into nothing. The boy is a bad mofo in my book.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2006   #8
tburdette
Rookie

I remember how mad I was when we picked Daniels. I really wanted Ko Simpson but I guess thats why I am here and not on the sidelines. Good pick Kubiak and Co.
tburdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Ironically, Daniels was a Casserly pick. He pushed hard for him and sold Kubiak on the pick.
Old 10-23-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a beautiful TD play yesterday with Daniels. I can't remember the last time I saw a play like that for the Texans. They are usually by the other team at our expense. Good job offense!
Old 10-23-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That was a beautiful TD play yesterday with Daniels. I can't remember the last time I saw a play like that for the Texans. They are usually by the other team at our expense. Good job offense!
Other than maybe Carr's fake for a TD, that was probably our best executed play this year. He was wide open. Like you said, that's has usually been the other team that gets that open.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Other than maybe Carr's fake for a TD, that was probably our best executed play this year. He was wide open. Like you said, that's has usually been the other team that gets that open.
And I would agree. Imagine that edo, you and I agreeing about Carr. We have truly entered a fresh and exciting time.
Old 10-23-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre View Post
Ironically, Daniels was a Casserly pick. He pushed hard for him and sold Kubiak on the pick.
As bad as Casserly was at screwing up the first day of the draft, he managed some quality picks with our fourth rounders. Domanick Davis, Jerome Mathis, and now Owen Daniels. It's nice having a tight end to actually pass too now. I am surprised he only has 9 catches though. I thought he had more than that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburdette View Post
I remember how mad I was when we picked Daniels. I really wanted Ko Simpson but I guess thats why I am here and not on the sidelines. Good pick Kubiak and Co.
i was the same way. i couldnt believe we passed up on the safeties, but like i said then, i trust kubiak and he hasnt disappointed.
Old 10-23-2006   #15
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
And I would agree. Imagine that edo, you and I agreeing about Carr. We have truly entered a fresh and exciting time.
Run Edo RUN! When KT agrees with ya, and then wants to talk about this new relationship...well, he's from Austin...<Paid Advertisement to Keep Austin Weird!>
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB2ATX View Post
I agree V. Davis has been hurt but that still can't count against Owen Daniels and his tremendous ability to block and catch the ball effectively in every game.

V. Davis would've got my vote but you can't count that against Owen. He has stayed healthy. To not be a first rounder he is great!!!
The biggest thing to me, about OwenDaniels Rookie season, is that he starts ahead of two pretty good tightends.

Bruenner blocks with the best of them. He's got sure hands and is a good reciever.... doesn't have the speed or versatility of Owen, but he is a good reciever in his own right.

& he is starting Over Putzier, who came to Houston from Denver.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #17
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The biggest thing to me, about OwenDaniels Rookie season, is that he starts ahead of two pretty good tightends.

Bruenner blocks with the best of them. He's got sure hands and is a good reciever.... doesn't have the speed or versatility of Owen, but he is a good reciever in his own right.

& he is starting Over Putzier, who came to Houston from Denver.
Stop it ...... You're killing me .......

146 receptions in 12 years ....... that's more than 12 per year ... WOW

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1360
Old 10-23-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Despite what's been said, and by whom, I don't believe Casserly had anything to do with Daniels being here. This acquisition - actually the entire draft - had Kubiak written all over it.

The thing I liked about the Daniels TD is that when Carr bootlegged, it appeared to me that he first looked at Moulds in the corner (from my vantage point behind him). Moulds was covered, then Carr saw Owen slide open as I think it was Brian Williams? came in on a delayed blitz - then Carr squared up and hit him. I watched the replay on DVR and it's not obvious but when I saw it at full speed from my vantage point, it sure looked like Owen was the second read on that one.

Last edited by aj.; 10-23-2006 at 09:33 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
Stop it ...... You're killing me .......

146 receptions in 12 years ....... that's more than 12 per year ... WOW

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1360
He hasn't caught the ball in the last 4 years, because he wasn't used that way. Doesn't make him a bad reciever. Throw the ball to Bruener, and he'll catch it with his hands.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #20
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares about the other tight ends in league, Owen has been MUCH better than I expected! He has great hands & seem to run good routes, & he's just a rook! So far I like all of our draft choices, I'm still pissed about Spencer, I hope he fully recovers. Wali Lundy should be our feature back & should alternate with Gado in the backfield. I'm hoping Dayne will be gone next year bcuz he's been a big disappointment-even with our O Line, for someone so big he doesn't seem to move the pile forward often, like he should! Oh well my 2 !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read