Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Whos going to deliver on what they said?
Vince Young 24 25.00%
Mario Williams 72 75.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2006   #1
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Who's going to deliver VY or MW?

I was just reading McClains blog. I found some interesting info. I was amazed too.

He says that the day of the draft in NY MW said he was going to get after VY and sack him.

He quoted that VY said he was "going to beat up on the Texans" when he was at the airport with Bud the day after that.

Whos going to deliver?

McClains blog:http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/10/a..._over_t_1.html
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who's going to deliver VY or MW?

next year, Vince will be able to beat bad teams on his own, but next year we won't be a bad team, and this year, Vince can't do it.

We also will not loose to the Titans..

for that to be true, guys, we have got to stop focusing on sacks. Mario has his 2.5 sacks, but we have got to stop the run...

it's fundamental football. make them one dimensional, and force some bad throws.

We'll get some sacks in the 4th Qtr.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Mario is starting to come into his own, and is turning the corner. People want Vince to suceed, but he's done crap passing the ball so far. Mario makes the bigger impact and I really wanna see him sack Vince and give him trouble. Like Thunder said, take away the run and force Vince to throw.
Old 10-23-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Being the Texans homer that I am of course I'm going to say Mario. That being said, I do think Super Mario is having a better year than Vince Young. Mario is steadily improving and today you could see he pressured Leftwich on more than one occasion. While even the best D-linemen aren't going to get to the QB or even pressure him every time, most of them will do it may about 50-60% of the time. I don't think Mario is there yet, but he is getting better and better. Vince Young has gotten better as well, but he's not up to snuff. Mario could be considered a decent D-lineman so far this season. Not bad. Not good, but he has been average. I don't think Vince Young is even an average QB right now. He's probably one of the worst in the NFL. Bottom third-ish.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That being said, I do think Super Mario is having a better year than Vince Young.

Vince Young has gotten better as well, but he's not up to snuff. Mario could be considered a decent D-lineman so far this season. Not bad. Not good, but he has been average. I don't think Vince Young is even an average QB right now. He's probably one of the worst in the NFL. Bottom third-ish.
With a QB, especially one like Vince, you shouldn't expect him to come into the league and be all Ben Rothlisberger like. That was a fluke, & most likely won't happen again for a very long time.

What you want is to get Vince on the field, to acclimate himself to the speed of the game. All he's got to do, is not do anything stupid. They aren't going to win a bunch of games, the fans should understand that, the coaches and the whole organization should know that.

As long as Vince is not overwhelmed by the game, and learns not to make the same stupid mistakes again & again & again, then he's doing all he needs to do.

If they happen to win a game.... that's fine. If he throws 3 touchdowns in a game........ wow.... but no one is expecting that, or for him to complete 60% of his passes.

Take snaps, learn the playbook, read coverages..... that's about all he needs to do this year.
Old 10-23-2006   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Being a QB, of course VY is going to have the most meaningful game, but with all that being said I think that the Texas will win the game and Williams will have a good game,
Old 10-23-2006   #7
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
next year, Vince will be able to beat bad teams on his own, but next year we won't be a bad team, and this year, Vince can't do it.

We also will not loose to the Titans..

for that to be true, guys, we have got to stop focusing on sacks. Mario has his 2.5 sacks, but we have got to stop the run...

it's fundamental football. make them one dimensional, and force some bad throws.

We'll get some sacks in the 4th Qtr.
The poll wasnt meant to be the usual "Mario sack count is whatever and he has to get 20 sacks for him to be first draft pick worthy..."

It was meant to focus on who is going to deliver on what they said. Is VY going to come out and whoop up on us, or is Mario going to go out and sack VY? Simple. The sack is what Mario said to measure him by. Not me.

Maybe this will be that start of two great players going at each other twice a year, and going for broke-leaving everything on the field. I hope so. Cowboys and Redskins. Bears and Packers. I want to see a rivalry develop like the that. Yanks and the Red Sox. Or even the Celtics and the Lakers. Something.

The rivalry was going to be there, Bud and all, well you know the history, but the draft pick thing is icing on the cake.

But I need a winning team first....
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2006   #8
Cgold
Rookie

I'll tell you who will deliver...DC
Cgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
With a QB, especially one like Vince, you shouldn't expect him to come into the league and be all Ben Rothlisberger like. That was a fluke, & most likely won't happen again for a very long time.

What you want is to get Vince on the field, to acclimate himself to the speed of the game. All he's got to do, is not do anything stupid. They aren't going to win a bunch of games, the fans should understand that, the coaches and the whole organization should know that.

As long as Vince is not overwhelmed by the game, and learns not to make the same stupid mistakes again & again & again, then he's doing all he needs to do.

If they happen to win a game.... that's fine. If he throws 3 touchdowns in a game........ wow.... but no one is expecting that, or for him to complete 60% of his passes.

Take snaps, learn the playbook, read coverages..... that's about all he needs to do this year.
I don't expect Young to be a Ben Rothlisberger type QB which is why I think Mario will have a bigger impact. I think a D-lineman, while it does take a while to become fully acclimated to the NFL, makes a bigger impact as a rookie than a QB does. Maybe not always, but certainly in this case, especially with Vince Young as raw as he is.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't expect Young to be a Ben Rothlisberger type QB which is why I think Mario will have a bigger impact. I think a D-lineman, while it does take a while to become fully acclimated to the NFL, makes a bigger impact as a rookie than a QB does. Maybe not always, but certainly in this case, especially with Vince Young as raw as he is.
I totally agree with that, but no one expects Vince to have a big impact this year.....

but to clarify my position, Vince will not beat the Texans this year..... Mario will Sack Vince in the upcoming week.
Old 10-23-2006   #11
fball
Rookie

Man, I hope so but Vince is fast and elusive! I do think that the Texans will win this game, I predict 27-14 Texans. What do ya'll think?
Old 10-24-2006   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

running qb's are more likely to get sacked. rookie qb's are more likely to get sacked. a rookie running qb, who's going to be overplaying and trying too hard to make plays from an emotional standpoint when nothing's available SHOULD be a target. peek & babin may have huge days, but hopefully it's mario that's the beneficiary of these circumstances. either way i expect our DE's to be overwhelming.

as amped as vince is for this game, i expect kubiak to be a little more on mario's side than usual trying to get him into position to make plays as opposed to keeping balance.
Old 10-24-2006   #13
Sco-tai
Veteran

Here's something to consider with both Vince and Mario being rookies.

They are both EXTREMELY talented. But they both react naturally (and in pressure, irratically) because the speed of the NFL and they're still catching up at this point, as are the play books. With that said....you'll often see Vince abandon "staying in the pocket" per plan, and he'll kind of improvise. Likewise, Mario has been see to over pursue a play, and pass up the plays a vet would have read.

I would not be the LEAST surprised for a PRIME example of this to appear benefiting BOTH players. I could COMPLETELY see Mario sacking Vince because the coverage was good and MARIO had a GREAT PLAY! And I can also see Mario over-pursuing...and let Vince burn him for a big play.

Regardless...I can't wait to see the game.

I'm SO proud of DC and our squad yesterday. Let's hope this is a trend!

cheers Y'all,

Sco-tai

Old 10-24-2006   #14
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I think it will be a close game - Vince has his team playing close. BUT, Texans will win. The return of Wong, Faggins, and Peek has sparked the defense it seems. AJ, Moulds, Daniels should give the Titans defense some problems. Hopefully the running game improves from Sunday.

Texans - 24
Titans - 17
Old 10-24-2006   #15
real

Not to rain on anyones Parade....but all of Marios 2.5 sacks have been gimme's......I say neither one delivers....
Old 10-24-2006   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Not to rain on anyones Parade....but all of Marios 2.5 sacks have been gimme's......
Just out of curiosity...what's the difference between a "gimme" sack and a non-"gimme" sack?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not to rain on anyones Parade....but all of Marios 2.5 sacks have been gimme's......I say neither one delivers....
Eeh--that's one of the reason sacks are an overrated stat. Did you see Peppers' 1st sack of the year or Strahan's 1st sack last night or Arrington's sack for the safety last night? 100% unblocked pro-bowl DE straight to the QB (who the heck forgets to block Peppers or Strahan) or unblocked blitzer. Tons of sack stats are more on O and D schemes/blown assignments than physical domination by the player. Not saying talent doesn't play a big part of consistant effectiveness--just that sack stats are padded with gimmes all over the NFL.
Old 10-24-2006   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
Just out of curiosity...what's the difference between a "gimme" sack and a non-"gimme" sack?
Ummm....Well I take that back.....

He had one good sack against Culpepper...

the .5 IMO, wasn't really his...

And the one against the Jags, Leftwhich fell down...

And you know what the difference is...I don't have to explain that...
Old 10-24-2006   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you know what the difference is...I don't have to explain that...
I'm just trying to ascertain what defines a "gimme" sack. Seems like that's pretty open to interpretation.

One could make the argument (like icak did) that all sacks are "gimmes".
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Eeh--that's one of the reason sacks are an overrated stat. Did you see Peppers' 1st sack of the year or Strahan's 1st sack last night or Arrington's sack for the safety last night? 100% unblocked pro-bowl DE straight to the QB (who the heck forgets to block Peppers or Strahan) or unblocked blitzer. Tons of sack stats are more on O and D schemes/blown assignments than physical domination by the player. Not saying talent doesn't play a big part of consistant effectiveness--just that sack stats are padded with gimmes all over the NFL.
I agree...And By no means was I implying that Mario hasn't been playing well....I was pleased with all the pressure that he was putting on Leftwich on Sunday....

But for the purposes of this thread....I don't really expect Mario to go into the game and get sacks....I just haven't seen that ability out of him yet...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read