Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Please don't let history repeat itself! (Some very interesting stats!)

Today may have been one of the most exciting wins as a Texans fan I have experienced. Why? Because I took a risk and wore my jersey into an area where no one else was a fan, and everyone ridiculed me until the start of the 4th. It was great

But then I got to thinking. We always seem to play Jacksonville well, but some of our most embarassing losses seem to come immediately after a very emotional win against Jacksonville. Are we CURSED?? So I took a look at the stats:

October 27, 2002: At Jackonsville, we won 21 - 19
The next game: Cincinatti, we lost 3 - 38

September 28, 2003: Jacksonville, we won 24 - 20
The next game: At Tennessee, we lost 17 - 38

October 31, 2004: Jacksonville, we won 20 - 6
The next game: At Denver, we lost 13 - 31

December 26, 2004: At Jacksonville, we won 21 - 0
The next game: We lost 14 - 22

In summary? We have frequently beaten a VERY good Jacksonville team, but have ALWAYS gone on to lose a VERY embrassing game the very next week. In the game immediately following a win to Jacksonville, we have been outscored 47 to 129. We have scored an average of ~12 points, but our opponents have scored almost 33 points a game!

So Texans and Texans fans, lets do everything in our power to break this horrible curse! This upcoming game against the Titans is very important, and we desperately need a win!
Old 10-22-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Default Re: Please don't let history repeat itself! (Some very interesting stats!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Today may have been one of the most exciting wins as a Texans fan I have experienced. Why? Because I took a risk and wore my jersey into an area where no one else was a fan, and everyone ridiculed me until the start of the 4th. It was great

But then I got to thinking. We always seem to play Jacksonville well, but some of our most embarassing losses seem to come immediately after a very emotional win against Jacksonville. Are we CURSED?? So I took a look at the stats:

In summary? We have frequently beaten a VERY good Jacksonville team, but have ALWAYS gone on to lose a VERY embrassing game the very next week. In the game immediately following a win to Jacksonville, we have been outscored 47 to 129. We have scored an average of ~12 points, but our opponents have scored almost 33 points a game!

So Texans and Texans fans, lets do everything in our power to break this horrible curse! This upcoming game against the Titans is very important, and we desperately need a win!
History has to get tired of repeating itself. I think we win this one!
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Please don't let history repeat itself! (Some very interesting stats!)

Pretty weird though, right? I mean, to always consistently get beaten badly affter taking down a very good team...
Old 10-22-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
First of all, being a Texan means we ain't scurred......

We won't back down.

There ain't no risk in wearing our Jersey anywhere. Skins gotta be tough, but we don't need to hide. We aren't going through anything they haven't gone through at one time or another.

Colts, Bucs, Cowboys, you name it, they all started somewhere.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #5
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Pretty weird though, right? I mean, to always consistently get beaten badly affter taking down a very good team...
Yea i feel you hopefully the guys wont think they have to just show up to win. Im sure kubiak wont let them overlook or relax against the titans.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure that this is a historical phenomenon but rather an illustration of the fact that the Texans have had lots of ugly losses in its history, so the odds would be that a number of them would show up after wins against Jacksonville.
Old 10-22-2006   #7
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the Titans come out of the bye week flat, like the Jags did today. BTW, what's up with us getting 2 teams in a row coming off byes?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I'm not sure that this is a historical phenomenon but rather an illustration of the fact that the Texans have had lots of ugly losses in its history, so the odds would be that a number of them would show up after wins against Jacksonville.
I think you're wrong about that one. 3 out of 4 of those losses were complete blow-out shockers. The Cleveland game was not as close as the stats indicate, and we were favored in that one.
Old 10-22-2006   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lets look at each of these loses:
2002 Cincy. CIncy was a 2-14 team that year and we were 4-12. Not a huge difference between these records. SHould we have lost? Maybe. Should we have been destroyed certainly not.

2003 Tennessee: Well Tennessee was a 12-4 playoff team so thats not a surprise to lose to a playoff team.

2004 Denver:Again, Denver was a playoff team at 10-6, so again not a surprise losing to a playoff team.

2004 Cleveland: A 4-12 team that we should have beaten. We had a superior team and should have played hard and won out. This is the most dissapointing on the list because it was a "winnable game". While you can dismiss the Cincy game as we were an expansion team and the Denver and Tennessee games becuase we played Playoff teams, we should NEVER have lost here.

So, in summary I see we played two tough playoff teams, 1 team around our caliber(prolly a bit better in Cincy) and a dismal effort agianst the Browns. I think that Kubiack will make them work very hard this week and wont let them cruise in practice. I hope they are as fired up to play the Titans as they were to play the Jags. If Kubes can do that, he must then then figure out how he did it and repeat the formula every week. I want to see the Texans playing with the same heart and enthusiasm they played the Jags today for every week for the rest fo the year!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Get a RB with good vision and is quick to the hole, throw the ball to AJ and let him go get it, and you'll win a lot more games than you lose. Of course, having a QB as bad as Leftwich (at least in this game) helps too.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

I think the "curse" lies with the old coaching staff probably praising our Texans for beating a good team and not working them very hard that next week. I expect Kubes to tell them something like you did good but here is what ya did wrong. In short I fully expect our current staff to push these guys even harder,and I think alot of our guys will pick it up. Hell we've won 2 of our last 3, and I'm sure it feels alot better to them than to loose 3 in a row.
Alot of posters here have said alot of what our team lacks is confidence,well I feel that confidence growing in watching our boys in the second half today.
Old 10-23-2006   #12
touttail
All Pro

Hopefully we won't fall too flat after a huge win.

Can you believe we have won two straight home games, and could make it 3 with a win over the Bills!!!!!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #13
marroncito
Rookie

The trend you notice isn't just with the Texans. Most teams coming off big home wins lose the following away game. I'd have to look up the stats, but I know they're there. With so much emotion and effort going into the home game and then having to play on the road the following week takes it's toll on teams, especially when the other team is gunning for them.

None the less, I'm hoping that Smith and the Defense can make Young one dimensional and pin their ears back. Take away the run
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The only stat I'm thinking about this morning is 2-2. Somehow we are .500 at home all of a sudden. That's like...respectable. I have to look at the good stuff this week after so much dissapointment....yesterday seemed like a turning point to me. The second half of the season is looking up now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The only stat I'm thinking about this morning is 2-2. Somehow we are .500 at home all of a sudden. That's like...respectable. I have to look at the good stuff this week after so much dissapointment....yesterday seemed like a turning point to me. The second half of the season is looking up now.
Im thinking play-offs....
Old 10-23-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't go that far...but winning isn't easy in the NFL...as we have proven and seen first hand. It's nice to see the Houston franchise go out and whip some butt like a real bona fide mature NFL franchise.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
I think you're wrong about that one. 3 out of 4 of those losses were complete blow-out shockers. The Cleveland game was not as close as the stats indicate, and we were favored in that one.
I'll tell you the same thing I told texanred, only the media and those that crave drama and recognition find drama in everything around them. don't be that guy.
Old 10-23-2006   #18
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
congrats on your turning point vinny, go texans!
Old 10-23-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Keeping a team focused on the game at hand and preparing them properly for continuous big games is the duty of the coaches. This is where we will see a difference from previous years. I think Kubiak will keep this team hungry and focused on winning against Tennessee. We are all seeing the advantage of the greatest pick the Texans made over the offseason...
Old 10-23-2006   #20
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far...but winning isn't easy in the NFL...as we have proven and seen first hand. It's nice to see the Houston franchise go out and whip some butt like a real bona fide mature NFL franchise.
i concur. the texans may have turned a corner, but it's not the one leading to the playoffs, but the one leading to respectability. i still remember that the texans gave brunell and the redskins their most production out of their offense all season...record breaking. but, i'm glad at where this season can go.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read