Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Its Funny!!!

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
A lot of people are talking about Lundy's effort today and I will say he got what he got, because we were starting to hurt them with the passing game. AJ and others were starting to get to them. The end result was the running game began to work. Remember, the running game can set up the passing game or the passing game can set up the running game. At the end win they were looking for the run, Lundy went nowhere. It was alright at that point because we wanted to kill the clock.

Again, repeating myself for the upteanth time, the 49ers went to the SB using that strategy with Montana, Rice, and Walsh. They often commented during the games that the pass set up the run for Craig(if I remember correctly). There are two ways to approach the game. We have outstanding receivers and we need to make the other team worry about them. When that happens our backs can be effective. That will eventually lead to confidence and a running game. The two games we have won have been because we were effective enough with the passing game that the running game became successful.

I know I will take a lot of heat on this subject, but that's alright. Just watch and see what happens when we can't pass the ball. Lets hope we have another great game next week. And yes, I said that the return of Wong and Faggins was big for this team's defense. We are finally beginning to see some signs of an awakening beast. We have a lot of talent despite what some think. When we finally get going we will be alright. Our receiver core is going to be a force to reckon with for most teams.

I could go with with that assessment. You can set up the run with the pass, it's just that the more traditional way is also a little more ideal in terms of consistency.

We have been effective in passing the ball all season. We didn't run play action much, if at all, against Dallas because we couldn't run the ball. Gado was effectively averaging 3 YPC in the first half which set up the play action bootleg which signicantly opened up our offense. The run is essential in Kubiak's system.

This might be a little misleading, but Lundy had 50% of his rushing yards after our last touchdown...he averaged 4.6 during that time...wouldn't they expect the run then?

I do agree that our passing game has good potential to set up the run.

A lot of people are talking about Lundy's effort today and I will say he got what he got, because we were starting to hurt them with the passing game. AJ and others were starting to get to them. The end result was the running game began to work. Remember, the running game can set up the passing game or the passing game can set up the running game. At the end win they were looking for the run, Lundy went nowhere. It was alright at that point because we wanted to kill the clock.

Yes, I agree that the passing game does open up the running game and vice versa. However, your point that Lundy went nowhere when they were looking for the run at the end isn't true. When the Texans had scored to make it 24 - 7, the time remaining was close to 10 minutes and for the rest of the time on offense, when the Jags knew they were going to run, Lundy ran the ball pretty good without the passing game and ended up getting almost half his yards for the day during that time. He even broke off a 27 yarder.

Careful there TexMexVato, you'll make too much sense and produce a few "vapor-locks" around here.

Obviously the Texans were able to run the ball today better than last week. That wasn't much of an accomplishment, VFW hall 187 could have gotten more yards than we did against the Cowboys. The difference was Gado (and later Lundy) vs Dayne. The difference was the run blocking was a little sharper and the back was a little quicker.

The second half was when our running game came alive but the first half was good enough. Gado was enough of a threat to keep the defense honest and that meant the Jags couldn't just pin their ears back and stomp Carr. Carr getting the passing game going gave the running backs opportunities and the rest is what it is.

We ran the ball late in the game when Jacksonville knew we were going to run the ball and they couldn't stop us. End of story.

Our passing game didn't open anything. Our Defense keeping the game close, and allowing Kubiak to comit to running the ball is what opened it up.

Same thing would have happened in Philly, if we'd have kept running the ball.

Same thing would'be happened in Indy & Washington, had we kept the score close.

The difference was Gado (and later Lundy) vs Dayne. The difference was the run blocking was a little sharper and the back was a little quicker.
End of story.

The difference is that Dallas & Miami(along with Baltimore) give up less than 3.0 ypc........ & jacksonville gives up 3.8 ypc, almost 4.0 ypc.

Back