Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who would you NOT have drafted?
Eli Manning 13 21.31%
Keneche Udeze 14 22.95%
Phillip Rivers 13 21.31%
Roy Williams 2 3.28%
Kellen Winslow II 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2004   #1
SESupergenius

Default Who would you not have drafted?

Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers
Kellen Winslow II
Kenechi Udeze
Roy Williams
Old 04-29-2004   #2
Ediddy73
Veteran

Default Rivers of deception

Phillip Rivers has the worst mechanics of any QB I have seen in a while. The hitch, the 3/4 delievery, all of it. it looks like Charles Barkley's golf swing.
Ediddy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

The more I hear about and/or from Winslow, the less I would want him. The latest is He is complaining about Washington not drafting him, but leaves out the fact that he was late to his meeting with Gibbs. That sure is the way to impress the coach you want to draft you.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If you asked, for the Texans, who would I not take, I would say Eli Manning. He will be a cap killer like his bro. Winslow at least could be used.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Winslow is a great athlete, but his attitude and agents nullify the talent he brings to the table. I bet that Troupe guy that went to the Titans has a better year with McNair than Winslow with Garcia. Just my geuss.
Old 04-29-2004   #6
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I lost total and complete respect for Eli Manning after the whole Draft debacle. Someone who thinks they are above the draft just really gets under my skin. I mean he isnt even the best QB in the draft and he thinks he can tell people where he wants to go? I wish he would have stayed with San Diego just so we could get first dibs on him opening day. (< I really like that lol)

EDIT: Is Carr really the Madden 2005 cover? Good God I hope not, BEWARE THE CURSE!
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Eli Manning b/c once things get bad he is going to start crying his way out of town
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2004   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i say udeze cause i really think one more year at USC and he would have been a top 10 prospect anyone else find this dancing banana strangely funny
Old 04-30-2004   #9
BigTex
Rookie

I would have to say Kellen Winslow. Everytime I hear about him his stock drops in my mind. I think be is going to be a good player but his attitude might get in the way of his play. I have a feeling he will be making plays to help Detriot but also getting costly penalty's to hurt em. Kellen Winslow is a great player but has a HUGE attitude problem.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #10
SESupergenius

No Carr is not on the box cover, it's just pure genius on my part
Old 04-30-2004   #11
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

P Rivers just seems like he will be a bust to me.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #12
done88
Veteran

Wineslow will be humbled this year
Old 04-30-2004   #13
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

i would have passed on Eli. we dont need another QB and we dont need whiners on this team. i'd love to have Winslow II though. he is the ultimate matchup problem for defensive coordinators.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #14
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

I took the question as if you were just a GM, not necessarily the Texans GM. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Old 04-30-2004   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I lost total and complete respect for Eli Manning after the whole Draft debacle. Someone who thinks they are above the draft just really gets under my skin. I mean he isnt even the best QB in the draft and he thinks he can tell people where he wants to go? I wish he would have stayed with San Diego just so we could get first dibs on him opening day. (< I really like that lol)

EDIT: Is Carr really the Madden 2005 cover? Good God I hope not, BEWARE THE CURSE!
You know, I don't have a problem with someone who tells people where he wants to go. I see that as being fine. Say for arguments sake that you had the biggest baddest running back to ever touch a football and he was dead set on playing in Houston where his idol "THE Earl" played.

Now if he wanted to go and say "Hey guys, I'm playing for Houston or I'm not playing because that's what I want to do and it's up to me whether I play pro ball at all so what I say goes here" then I would have no problem with that. What I would expect though is for someone that serious about it to follow through. If the Chargers picked him right out of the gate then I would expect him to not go strolling up there to take a cap and jersey. I'd expect him to be absolutely willing to start pursuing an alternate career if things didn't go his way.

The way it was done with Manning you just knew that this was all part of the negotiation process and the show. It was all about leverage and getting his way but there was no way in the world he was going to pass on the bank.

I chose Eli Manning as the guy I would not have drafted for one reason. Expectations. Every one of them could very well bust (or be the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'll just have to wait and see) but he's the guy with the monster name and all the expectations that come with being the brother of Peyton Manning. I don't think being Archie Manning's son means much at this point, it's his brother that he's going to be measured against.

If he does end up taking the Giants to a couple of Super Bowls though then I guess Peyton is going to end up being considered the older, lesser Manning.
Old 05-01-2004   #16
texman8
Veteran

Manning. One,we don't need him. Two, I think he is a little overrated.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #17
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

How is he over reated? He hasn't even played.

Old 05-01-2004   #18
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I picked Roy Williams, I know he could turn out to be a great player, but the biggest bust rate is usually with WR.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #19
hound
Rookie

Default Eli Manning

I love the whole Eli Manning/San Diego story. San Diego played that beautifully. A really nice piece of work from San Diego. Just think about it... San Diego never wanted Eli Manning. San Diego wanted Philip Rivers and all the extra draft picks. And who can blame them they have lots of needs. But the San Diego fans had to have Eli... they didn't get Peyton and they had to have Eli... If the Chargers didn't draft Eli the fans would go crazy... What can they do... what can they do...

So enter the dupes... the Mannings... Now the Mannings knew San Diego really could go any of three ways on those three QB's... and they knew San Diego would surely want to pick up some extra draft picks... I mean I knew that... Normally a team is already working out a contract with the first pick long before draft day... but San Diego was desperately trying to find a way to trade down and get all those picks and Rivers and not make the Charger fans angry... But still San Diego might have gone with Manning if they couldn't get out of it.

Now Eli didn't want to play for such a lousy organization... and since San Diego was still trying to decide what to do... the Mannings decide... why not tell San Diego QUIETLY that Eli would rather go elsewhere... No big announcements... no headlines... just quietly, while San Diego is making up it's mind... tell them how Eli felt.

And when they did the Chargers must have cheered... Thank goodness they found their way out. The Chargers GM runs to the press and says Eli won't play for them... that he wants to go to New York... Then the you know what hits the fan... Now if I'm the Mannings and I had gone quietly to the Chargers and told them this and the Chargers went to the press.... I'd be really P.O.'ed... especially if they said that Archie had said his son wanted to go to the Giants... and if that was in fact a lie the way Archie said it was. Archie has always been a man of honor... He might not want his son to play for the Chargers, but he's not a liar. Well... if San Diego had done that to me... I would be so P.O.'ed that I would never play for them.... and I'd tell them so... and Eli did!

Then we all know what happened...

So when it is all over... look what San Diego got... they got what they wanted at the very first... They got Philip Rivers and a bucket full of draft choices... and the San Diego fans are not angry at them.... Instead the whole football world is angry at Eli... Even the Giants knew San Diego didn't want Manning that they really wanted Rivers... that's the reason the Giants drafted Rivers at 4 rather than Roethlisberger...

I mean that was a great piece of work. San Diego gets what it wanted and the world hates Eli Manning.

Last edited by hound; 05-02-2004 at 04:58 PM.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default none

All should do quite well given their individual situations for the various reasons each team's GM decided.

Same for the Texans, and the Babin pick, I must admit looks better all the time.

If your asking this question if all these players where available @ the 10 spot and the Texans where on the clock I would select Manning, then trade him to the Giants for next years #1 & this years #2 & #3 & #4. Just joking
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read