Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-22-2006   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Could Troy Smith be better then VY?

The intention of this is to not start a flame war or bash-fest, but to discuss the best two mobile Qbs to play college football since Vick.

Personnaly I've been blown away by Smith's passing. He's accurate as all get out, throws a good deep ball and is money on the timing routes. His biggest challenge will be against Michigain, where if he carries Ohio State to a victory, much like VY carried UT several times, I think he is a lock for the Heisman. This is also the area where VY may be better, the intangables. I doubt Smith has had much effect on Trussle (sp?) but we all know that VY changed Mack Brown. As for running ability, Smith hasn't had to do much this year but we all know that he can. Is he the same kinda threat as VY? I don't think so, Vince was a true homerun hitter with his feet at the QB spot; and I just don't think Smith has the ability to go 60+ for a score.

And I'd take both before Vick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #2
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Could Troy Smith be better then VY?

Smith is a more technically proficient passer, no doubt. That doesn't necessarily make him a more effective passer or QB... the other half of the game is finding receivers and making the right decisions. He's certainly not as big as Vince, and I haven't watched enough tape to make any conclusions, but I'd say from a strict passing standpoint, he's his equal if not better. All I ever see is Troy Smith throwing beautiful deep bombs... he actually reminds me of McNabb, who throws the prettiest ball in the game, IMO.

What VY had going for him was the ability to make big throws in the red-zone and to move the chains. I think VY's size is a huge asset, we've already seen him be very tough to take down at this level. Smith is a stud... no doubt. He's only 6'1" and he's not the runner that VY is... we'll find out about the intangibles as this season progresses. I love the dude's game... wouldn't mind us taking him if Carr can't produce some wins (not trying to stir anything up here).

In short, I think that Troy Smith could be better than VY... he is a more gifted passer... he's not as big or as lethal on the ground and he hasn't been mega-clutch like VY. I think he can be the next Donovan McNabb though, and at last check, McNabb was the best QB not named Peyton.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

VY is way more elusive. His size makes his speed decieving and it's hard to tackle him. I have said that Troy Smith is the better QB, but VY is the guy that will win any game.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i said last year that he is. although i don't think he's a better prospect.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #5
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Why not Miss Cleo? Height?
Old 10-22-2006   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is a better QB. He can run, but chooses to pass.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We both did. I said it after the Rose Bowl as well.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2006   #8
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
Smith is a more technically proficient passer, no doubt.
No, he isn't. Smith didn't even win the starting job until halfway through his junior year. I don't know how you can call him "more proficient" when VY has way more experience playing QB at the college level. That's what proficiency means.

Plus, maybe people have short term memory loss, but I have to remind people that Vince Young led all QBs in passing efficiency last year, moreso than Matt Leinart or any of the other typical pocket passers. He's not Michael Vick, a guy who can run but is a so-so passer. Vince learned how to pass very well in college.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #9
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
No, he isn't. Smith didn't even win the starting job until halfway through his junior year. I don't know how you can call him "more proficient" when VY has way more experience playing QB at the college level. That's what proficiency means.

Plus, maybe people have short term memory loss, but I have to remind people that Vince Young led all QBs in passing efficiency last year, moreso than Matt Leinart or any of the other typical pocket passers. He's not Michael Vick, a guy who can run but is a so-so passer. Vince learned how to pass very well in college.
Technically proficient means "has better mechanics"/"throws a better ball". I might be the biggest VY fan on the board, but there's little debate about that, in my opinion. If you would read the rest of my post, I say that doesn't make him a better passer or QB... but with respect to throwing the ball only, there's little question he's more talented.
Old 10-22-2006   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

troy smith is definitely more proficient. 68% of his passes completed, and 82% of those are to his receivers. unlike young, who completed a TON of passes to his backs and TE's, which is a sign of a QB who isn't nearly as mature as you want him to be.
Old 10-22-2006   #11
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Part of the passes to TE's/RB's is due to the LBs obsessively spying VY... no reason to take chances down field when you have a guaranteed 10 yds.
Old 10-22-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

edit: nm
Old 10-23-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Vince Young - 212/325 (65.2%), 3036 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs
Troy Smith - 149/237 (62.9%), 2282 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs

Those are their stats from last year...both QBs' Jr. seasons. If you're going to compare Smith this year to Young last year, shouldn't you take into account that Young would probably have improved on last year as well?

And given the differences in talent on both offenses, I would expect Smith to take advantage of his WRs. One (Santonio Holmes) was a 1st round draft pick. The other (Tedd Ginn) will be as well. Vince's WRs were freshmen and sophomores. So he took advantage of his best target..TE David Thomas. Now you can predict that Limas Sweed may end up being a 1st round pick but would you put '05 Limas Sweed on the same level with '05 Holmes?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Vince Young - 212/325 (65.2%), 3036 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs
Troy Smith - 149/237 (62.9%), 2282 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs

Those are their stats from last year...both QBs' Jr. seasons. If you're going to compare Smith this year to Young last year, shouldn't you take into account that Young would probably have improved on last year as well?

And given the differences in talent on both offenses, I would expect Smith to take advantage of his WRs. One (Santonio Holmes) was a 1st round draft pick. The other (Tedd Ginn) will be as well. Vince's WRs were freshmen and sophomores. So he took advantage of his best target..TE David Thomas. Now you can predict that Limas Sweed may end up being a 1st round pick but would you put '05 Limas Sweed on the same level with '05 Holmes?
Wow...rep coming your way....
Old 10-23-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i like that troy smith is a passer first and rarely runs at all these days. much more disciplined than young.

what the hell was i talking about, he's DEFINITELY a better prospect than young.
Old 10-23-2006   #16
real

Quote:
i like that troy smith is a passer first and rarely runs at all these days. much more disciplined than young.

what the hell was i talking about, he's DEFINITELY a better prospect than young.
VY isn't running much this year...
Old 10-23-2006   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

okie dokie.
Old 10-23-2006   #18
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Could Troy Smith be better then VY?

I will refrain from posting

I have been saying "Smith, Houston Texan 2007."
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

what would be the point in the texans drafting him?
Old 10-23-2006   #20
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The intention of this is to not start a flame war or bash-fest, but to discuss the best two mobile Qbs to play college football since Vick.

Maybe we should start adding Pat White from West Virginia to this list. He maybe closer to Vick as a game changing (as a runner and a passer) than either Young or Smith.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read