Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2006   #1
kubs-elway
Rookie

Default Lay off of Kubiak

I am a broncos fan, and now a texans fan out of loyalty to kubs. I read through your post and it makes me ill. Alot of you guys are missing the boat completely and i question your football knowledge. Some things to remember with the "system"

1.) Your O-Lineman are to slow to zone block. They are not getting to the second level. The linebackers are not getting blocked. The running backs are not good for any system. Kubs cant fix that with one year. It is insane and rediculous to think he can. The best part is to get the lineman he needs, he can draft them in the 4th through 6th round without killing the cap.

2.) Carr- The play book he has now is 250 pages thick. The are at least 7 audible calls per play. Everything is different, it is very hard for him and the recievers. The recievers you have came from non west coast. They are still learining to run the timing routes. It takes 3 years for a new system to be utilized completely.

3.) Kubs is cut throat like shannahan. If you dont perform with him you will be gone. I would look for alot more casulties as the year goes on. He will weed out the bad apples, and also will not sell his soul for a bad apple.(TO)

4.) Give him time and you will win, I would bet my life on it. The man knows football and has watched and learned from the man with the best winning percentage of the last 10 years.

IF YOU BELIEVE IT WILL COME
kubs-elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lay off of Kubiak

Good post, man, and a voice of reason in the wilderness of whack.

Kubiak is not a miracle worker. He inherited a team with a lot of talent that other teams wouldn't even have on their practice squads.
Old 10-19-2006   #3
Jawja Texan
Rookie

That was a really great post. Lot of good points.
Jawja Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubs-elway View Post
I am a broncos fan, and now a texans fan out of loyalty to kubs. I read through your post and it makes me ill. Alot of you guys are missing the boat completely and i question your football knowledge. Some things to remember with the "system"

1.) Your O-Lineman are to slow to zone block. They are not getting to the second level. The linebackers are not getting blocked. The running backs are not good for any system. Kubs cant fix that with one year. It is insane and rediculous to think he can. The best part is to get the lineman he needs, he can draft them in the 4th through 6th round without killing the cap.

2.) Carr- The play book he has now is 250 pages thick. The are at least 7 audible calls per play. Everything is different, it is very hard for him and the recievers. The recievers you have came from non west coast. They are still learining to run the timing routes. It takes 3 years for a new system to be utilized completely.

3.) Kubs is cut throat like shannahan. If you dont perform with him you will be gone. I would look for alot more casulties as the year goes on. He will weed out the bad apples, and also will not sell his soul for a bad apple.(TO)

4.) Give him time and you will win, I would bet my life on it. The man knows football and has watched and learned from the man with the best winning percentage of the last 10 years.

Responses to your post:

1) If Kubiak can draft the OL he needs in round 4-6, why didn't we pick up any OL at all during those rounds? If our OL are too big and slow, why did he draft 2 huge slow guys round 3? Why did he hire a non ZBS coach to coach the OL? If the backs aren't good for any system, why did he bring them here? Why didn't he try and get a different back? Why draft Lundy at 6th overall when there are supposedly better options undrafted?

2) Carr looks much better, and there are very few on this board who still claim he's the major problem. Saying the WRs aren't learning the routes is beyond me. If you had watched any of the games, you would have seen its not the fact that they aren't getting open or hitting the routes correctly, its that they are dropping the balls that do come to them frequently, and/or the playcalling has been horrendous and all we see is quick slant over and over. If the playbook is 250 pages long, why do we see the same plays over and over again?

3) Its not the cuts that bother us, its the fact that he cuts players we actually could have used. Robaire Smith, cut, now we have a HUGE hole at DT. Seth Wand, cut, now we have a HUGE hole at LT. Cut someone if they aren't playing up to par, fine, but only on a team with depth. You can't cut the weak link on a team like the Texans if you don't have someone to replace them with.

4) Give him time? Maybe you don't realize this as a Bronco's fan, but the Texans are the laughing stock of the NFL. We have never had a winning season. Heck, we've never even had a 0.500 season! We've been around long enough, and have had enough drafts and FA that I'm sick of waiting. Will I keep waiting? Yeah, but I expect to win every single year, and this is just another let down so far. We'll see how the year pans out.

Basically, I loved the Kubiak signing. He promised a running game, zone blocking, a productive offense, an improved OL, an aggressive defense, a team that adapts its system to fit the talents of its players, and overall a winning attitude in Houston. So far he has kept those promises all throughout the preseason, and then reverted into conserative playcalling and a keep it close attitude. I want him to suceed, and think he could if he had the right players around him. I'm just now so sure I want another system coach who will have to scrap 90% of the old coaches foundation in order to just get back to starting ground before taking over.
Old 10-19-2006   #5
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Brought aboard under Kube's watch:

1. Owen Daniels
2. Mike Flannagan
3. Nick Luchey
4. Wali Lundy
5. Eric Moulds
6. Jeb Putzier
7. Sage Rosenfels
8. Ephraim Salaam
9. Antowain Smith
10. Charles Spencer
11. Kevin Walters
12. Eric Winston
13. The newest back Gado

All I'm saying is Kube's choices do effect the team and he should get criticism with the congratulations. We realize there will continue to be changes. I applauded the selection of Mr.Kubiack and still think he will get things right. But I did expect to see more out of some of HIS choices than I have.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #6
kubs-elway
Rookie

1.) He brought in sherman because he was the best available coach. When somebody is un employed that is a winner of course you bring them in, just makes your team better. What backs were availble when he brought what you have now in? The only option better than lundy was bell, he chose denver, houston had no chance.
2.) How can you call the play calling herendous when you dont have the abililty to see the coverages or sets. By the way even if the run doesnt work you still run. You Run the football to win. Alot of times with kubs youll what the hell he's doing until you see a d-back with broken ankles on the field and your reciever running for a touchdown. He sets people up over a series of posessions.
3.) If he cuts people you could use there is a reason. Maybe cap, maybe you dont know if he has 2 gap or 1 gap responsibilities that he is not taking care of, there are many reasons that are justified by watching hours of video of that player in practice and games, i would trust the coach with the tools he has to evaluate the players.
4.) As far as time, depending on the draft and free agents, i would promise that you will be in the playoffs in 3 years, if it werent for the dead money i would say 2 years. The cap problems make it very difficult.
Old 10-19-2006   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We were using the ZBS before Kubs got here and the line was doing fine with it (15th or so in rushing last year?). So obviously they are not to slow to zone block. Running backs I will give. When we had a quicker more agile DD in there, we did middle of the pack rushing. Now that we have slow RBs....well the stats speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2006   #8
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

You miss the point completely Kubs-Elway See, our posters are smarter than any coach in the NFL! In fact, why we're paying that dummy Kubiak so much money is beyond me. If I was the owner, I'd just coach the team myself, and read this message board daily for my inspiration and game plan for next week I can't wait until our owner wakes up to this fact. We'd be in the Super Bowl this year if he'd ONLY listen! :killerbs:
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #9
kubs-elway
Rookie

LCROD, they may have called it zone blocking, but you werent. I guess when i speak of zone blocking i speak of the kind that has led the nfl the last 10 years in denver, or since alex gibbs went to atlanta and they started to put up 200 yards a game. When it is coached correctly with the correct people in place you will not ranked ranked 15th, it will be top 5 and it will actually be zone blocking.
Old 10-19-2006   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither of our third round picks are slow. Winston ran the fastest 40 out of the linemen and Spencer has great footwork.

I'm sure I've read that he isn't completely running the Denver system, he's using some of Sherman's blocking until the linemen can pick up the scheme.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1.) He brought in sherman because he was the best available coach. When somebody is un employed that is a winner of course you bring them in, just makes your team better. What backs were availble when he brought what you have now in? The only option better than lundy was bell, he chose denver, houston had no chance.
2.) How can you call the play calling herendous when you dont have the abililty to see the coverages or sets. By the way even if the run doesnt work you still run. You Run the football to win. Alot of times with kubs youll what the hell he's doing until you see a d-back with broken ankles on the field and your reciever running for a touchdown. He sets people up over a series of posessions.
3.) If he cuts people you could use there is a reason. Maybe cap, maybe you dont know if he has 2 gap or 1 gap responsibilities that he is not taking care of, there are many reasons that are justified by watching hours of video of that player in practice and games, i would trust the coach with the tools he has to evaluate the players.
4.) As far as time, depending on the draft and free agents, i would promise that you will be in the playoffs in 3 years, if it werent for the dead money i would say 2 years. The cap problems make it very difficult.

1) A winning team doesn't bring in good coaches just because they have big names. If you want to instill a certain philosophy in a team, you bring in guys that will do that. IF Kubiak wants ZBS here, I think bringing in a non-ZBS gy to coach the OL is a mistake.
You still didn't answer why he chose two huge guys in round 3, and no OL in rounds 4-6, when he supposedly is able to find ZBS diamonds.
I'll admit the RB thing was more bad luck than anything else. I think we all thought Davis would be starting.

2) We haven't committed to the run yet. We haven't run the ball hardly at all in the 2nd period. Running football doesn't win games unless teams actually respect your run. That is a common misconception. If you can stop the run with your nickel package in, theres no reason to stack the box and let the other team pass over you. No team respects our run game, and we aren't committing to it. Double fail there

3) So far I've seen less production from the guys we've kept than some of the ones we've cut. I think Kubiak made the right decision in cutting Wand and Smith, ASSUMING we have no injuries. But we lost 2 key guys in both of those positions and now we have no depth. There are a lot of injuries in football, and he shouldn't have counted on our starters being healthy all year.

4) I don't even want to discuss how depressing 3 more years of losing sounds...
Old 10-19-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
You still didn't answer why he chose two huge guys in round 3, and no OL in rounds 4-6, when he supposedly is able to find ZBS diamonds.
Because he thought they were bargains at their talent level in the 3rd? and better options than the other players available? The Broncos have used 1st day picks before and have drafted big guys before if they liked the way they moved--example George Foster 1st round pick 338 lbs--Denver RT.
Old 10-19-2006   #13
Big J
Rookie

Wow, a post that tells it how it is while at the same time being optimistic about the future. Holy crap. Its a miracle.

Any person that honestly felt we could win more then 10 games was probably on some form of drug. While I didnt expect to perform the way we have, I feel confident the coaching staff/front office knows what they are doing to build for the future. Showing players that mediocracy is not tolerated, especially with overpaid players, sets a great example that Kubiak and Co. dont take crap.

Dont lose faith in Kubiak based on his first 5 performances. Other new head coaches have inherited stronger franchises and are more prepared to start winning now. You do have to wonder what our record would be with that back we passed over, but whatever its the long run that counts.

Thanks for the post Elway-Kubes or whatever. You are probably somehow related to Gary, but I still appreciate your opinion/comments.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #14
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good Stuff!
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Spot on.

I was reading through the post and fixin to respond to various nonsense, but you beat me to it.

Please feel free to hang around the MB. It would be nice to have more sane voices who know more about the Denver style system.
Old 10-19-2006   #16
Texan1
Veteran

Kubes will get the job done - we know. He has to get a RB to fix the Offense and there are just alot of angry fans b/c he screwed up the Williams \ Bush pick. But we know he's a good coach.
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #17
kubs-elway
Rookie

1.) You dont bring in sherman because of his name, its because he has 30+years of coaching experience. Thats a no brainer.
2.) IN rescpect to the run the ball sucessfully comment. The broncos are 72-6 when rushing for 30 times or more, not 72-6 when running for 150 yards or more.
3.) Foster was drafted in the first round and was a big mistake. He is not our favorite lineman.
4.) By the way I AM NOT related to kubs. I grew up watching him back-up elway, i have attended the last 15 broncos training camp and watched him coach up close and personal. I have always respected him, and now as bronco fans we know how important he was with Jakes production now terrible, and we are questioning our play calling. Shanny didnt call the plays, he could overide them but kubs made the call.

HAVE FAITH
Old 10-19-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

kubs-elway,

You have a PM.
Old 10-19-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1.) You dont bring in sherman because of his name, its because he has 30+years of coaching experience. Thats a no brainer.
2.) IN rescpect to the run the ball sucessfully comment. The broncos are 72-6 when rushing for 30 times or more, not 72-6 when running for 150 yards or more.
3.) Foster was drafted in the first round and was a big mistake. He is not our favorite lineman.
4.) By the way I AM NOT related to kubs. I grew up watching him back-up elway, i have attended the last 15 broncos training camp and watched him coach up close and personal. I have always respected him, and now as bronco fans we know how important he was with Jakes production now terrible, and we are questioning our play calling. Shanny didnt call the plays, he could overide them but kubs made the call.

HAVE FAITH
Very nice. I too, would like for you to stick around. It's nice to have someone around that has some good insight on Kubiak. Personally, I haven't doubted anything that Kubiak has done thus far. Well, except maybe the Robaire move.
Old 10-19-2006   #20
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
LCROD, they may have called it zone blocking, but you werent. I guess when i speak of zone blocking i speak of the kind that has led the nfl the last 10 years in denver, or since alex gibbs went to atlanta and they started to put up 200 yards a game. When it is coached correctly with the correct people in place you will not ranked ranked 15th, it will be top 5 and it will actually be zone blocking.
Kubs-Elway - What's your impression of the way the Texans are running the zone blocking? I was under the impression the zone blocking (the way Denver runs it) involved a lot of cut blocking, particularly on the backside of running plays. I'm not seeing that with the Texans. What do you see?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read