Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:Buchanon,the olive branch

wow, not sure how to take this. got to re-read it.

Quote:
October 18, 2006
Buchanon, the Olive Branch
by Keith Weiland
HoustonProFootball.com

The Texans released Phillip Buchanon on Monday for you, Texans fans. Consider it an olive branch, plucked from the gardens of Reliant Park and hand delivered straight to you.

Gift wrapped from general manager Rick Smith and head coach Gary Kubiak, they offered us Buchanon’s head on a stick, pimento-style. They must truly be sorry for screwing up again. They must have really known how important it was to us as Texans fans that they beat the Cowboys. Lose the rest, we fans are prone to say boastfully, just beat Jerrah, America’s Most Wanted, and their freaking bandwagon fans still crying over the Yankees’ latest playoff failure.

So they offered us Buchanon.

We are so very sorry, they reminded us on Monday. Please forgive us.

They knew how much we liked to kick around Buchanon, the one many of us called “P-Burnt”, “P-Bust”, and a whole host of other P-words even I can’t type in this column since my mother might read it one day.

But Rick and Gary, I’m on to you guys. I know you’re sending us a message encoded within the leaves of that olive branch. I know you two just wanted to send us a little reminder along with it.

Well, you know what, Rick and Gary? Releasing another bust from the Capers-Casserly era isn’t going to cut it this time. You can cut your Casserly rejects all you want to remind us that this 1-4 start says a hell of a lot more about how much you were caught carrying the bag of Toro poop when Bob McNair hired you guys and nothing about the job you’ve done with the guys you handpicked to fix this mess.

Oh so much dead money around here, you reminded us on Monday. Messy, messy.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout139.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HPF:Buchanon,the olive branch

YEP, that was still a rip on the team.. and I admit it is painful on Sundays again but I know it takes time to clean house. (well heck we have pretty much taken a bulldozer and scraped the foundation.)
Old 10-18-2006   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
YEP, that was still a rip on the team.. and I admit it is painful on Sundays again but I know it takes time to clean house. (well heck we have pretty much taken a bulldozer and scraped the foundation.)
I think the foundation might be cracked. We should fix it with Atlas, and fix it for good.
Old 10-18-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Patience is a virtue.. and is apparently a very rare commodity with our fans.

It is quickly reaching that point where many Texans fans are gonna have to decide if they are here for the long haul..to support the team until all the pieces are in place.. or if they are gonna give up football, or move on to a different team.

Whichever the fans decide on, I look forward to a sharp decrease in worthless, inflammatory, sarcasm ridden articles.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

Brutal but true.
Old 10-18-2006   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Well, I still think we are 12-4 this year, so I dont mind.
Old 10-18-2006   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: HPF:Buchanon,the olive branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

It is quickly reaching that point where many Texans fans are gonna have to decide if they are here for the long haul..to support the team until all the pieces are in place.. or if they are gonna give up football, or move on to a different team.

Whichever the fans decide on, I look forward to a sharp decrease in worthless, inflammatory, sarcasm ridden articles.
Amen Brotha'
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2006   #8
TexanLen
Veteran

If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they? Many people can't even name two people on the team. Carr is the only one they may know. What really gets annoying is when people who don't know jack about sports start talking about the texans like they watch the team. All they can say is the team sucks, Carr is no good, etc. Then you ask them something about football or a certain player and they are like what? who? All they know is what the hear on the news. Texans lost. Then they think they are experts. It the same way with any other major team Houston has. Astros and Rockets are perfect examples. When The Astros won last year and made it the world series, everyone was a fan. They couldn't name 10 players on the team with looking at the starting line up, but WOOOHOOO!!! GO ASTROS!!!! This year, the same people are saying they suck and all the astros have is Lidge!!! WHAT!!! Rockets, Same thing!!! You know, If you are a fan, be a fan, don't sound like an ***** who thinks they know something!!!

Adopt a Texan... Can it be a cheerleader?!!!
TexanLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

yep.

I'm in it for the long haul, so patience is not even a question, it's a requirement.

BUT, I'm showing my displeasure by boycotting these marketing ploys like 'battle red day'. I'll still go to all the games, renew my tickets and all that jazz, but I just won't be spending the money to support ineffective marketing gimmicks. My custom liberty white jersey will proudly shine through all that red in the stands, and that's my statement of protest.
Old 10-18-2006   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Question Re: HPF:Buchanon,the olive branch

Quote:
Gary Walker. Todd Wade. Robaire Smith. Marcus Coleman. Dave Ragone. Seth Wand. Bennie Joppru. Buchanon. Must I continue? We get it. You're hemorrhaging dead money from players for whom you aren't responsible. We know. Enough already.
from the article.

I don't remember the contract details but would McKinney and Weigart fit the bill of being cut and having more "dead money"? ( almost wonder if they are next)
Old 10-18-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep.

I'm in it for the long haul, so patience is not even a question, it's a requirement.

BUT, I'm showing my displeasure by boycotting these marketing ploys like 'battle red day'. I'll still go to all the games, renew my tickets and all that jazz, but I just won't be spending the money to support ineffective marketing gimmicks. My custom liberty white jersey will proudly shine through all that red in the stands, and that's my statement of protest.
You don't have to buy a red jersey, but please wear red. It matters. It is part of making a bunch of random individuals in the stand a part of the team.

This is what Byron Leftwich says about it: “It’s a tough stadium to play in because you know they’re going to want to win their football game. Anytime you play on the road and the way the stadium’s built it kind of makes it loud. Are they wearing red this week? It seems like every time they wear their red that makes the fans more excited. We’ve been in there before. We’ve been in there before and we understand what to expect. We’ve got to make sure we’re ready to play.”

(dont have a link yet)

Besides the white ruins the picture. My favorite all time picture of Reliant is the fisheye picture of the whole stadium being red.

And besides there may be something scientific to it and not just marketing. Teams that wear red win more. The Texans are 3-2 in Red. The color red could not combat Pendry.

Old 10-18-2006   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Then throw in Pitts and Carr ... they have been here through all this losing .
Old 10-18-2006   #13
TexanLen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Then throw in Pitts and Carr ... they have been here through all this losing .
Pitts and Carr are original Texans. They didn't play for other teams.

Adopt a Texan... Can it be a cheerleader?!!!
TexanLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:

You know what ... I completely agree .... except with the part about the "sharp decrease in ..... sarcasm ridden articles" ..... there are people on this message board, some new members, some more established members, that are more comfortable posting negativity ......
Old 10-18-2006   #15
Heywood
Veteran

i agree with keith and like his article, excepting his climactic senenc which needs to be broken into two.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #16
Samer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanLen View Post
If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they? Many people can't even name two people on the team. Carr is the only one they may know. What really gets annoying is when people who don't know jack about sports start talking about the texans like they watch the team. All they can say is the team sucks, Carr is no good, etc. Then you ask them something about football or a certain player and they are like what? who? All they know is what the hear on the news. Texans lost. Then they think they are experts. It the same way with any other major team Houston has. Astros and Rockets are perfect examples. When The Astros won last year and made it the world series, everyone was a fan. They couldn't name 10 players on the team with looking at the starting line up, but WOOOHOOO!!! GO ASTROS!!!! This year, the same people are saying they suck and all the astros have is Lidge!!! WHAT!!! Rockets, Same thing!!! You know, If you are a fan, be a fan, don't sound like an ***** who thinks they know something!!!
I totally have to agree..I am a Texans/Astros/Rockets fan and have been for many many years. I live in Canada and probably know more about the players, stats, and all that than what most people in Houston do...just because they loose doesn't mean that Im not gonna follow.
Old 10-18-2006   #17
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanLen View Post
If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they?
When were we ever a winning team? Despite going on our 5th consecutive losing season, this website is and always has been full of Texans fans. Keep in mind that the fans here only represent a fraction of the Texans fans. Our entire existence has been a "tough time".
Old 10-18-2006   #18
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin View Post
When were we ever a winning team? Despite going on our 5th consecutive losing season, this website is and always has been full of Texans fans. Keep in mind that the fans here only represent a fraction of the Texans fans. Our entire existence has been a "tough time".
I believe he's referring to any Houston team (Rockets, Astros, Texans, Comets, Aeros, etc.) not just the Texans.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #19
dockoonce
Rookie

Some of the fans need to reach WAY back. I remember going to some of the final Oiler games when nothing mattered. I'm not going anywhere. I remember Houston without football. I think almost making it several times and screwing up is much worse then losing a bunch of games till you get it turned around. I remember one Oiler/Buffalo game in particular. Sooner or later the tide will turn. I've seen lots of really crappy teams turn into playoff teams. So have many of you...
dockoonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have won 3 of the last 21 games. It would be almost impossible to get any worse than it is now. I think the people here now are the loyal die hards. Let the Texans win 12 or 13 games or make the playoffs, and you'll see a ton of new ''fans'' show up. Both around town and on these boards.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read