Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2006   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Question Impact of SLB

Of all the linebacker positions, is this the one that typically has the least impact? I look at our SLB, Orr and the guy hasn't had more than 3 tackles in any game so far. I remember this guy did real well in our defense last yr. So I gotta wonder is it because SLB's don't have that much impact or do we need an upgrade? I mean, maybe I'm off, but the guy has consistently not shown up so I'm just looking for an explanation.... if there is any.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Impact of SLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec View Post
Of all the linebacker positions, is this the one that typically has the least impact? I look at our SLB, Orr and the guy hasn't had more than 3 tackles in any game so far. I remember this guy did real well in our defense last yr. So I gotta wonder is it because SLB's don't have that much impact or do we need an upgrade? I mean, maybe I'm off, but the guy has consistently not shown up so I'm just looking for an explanation.... if there is any.

Orr is a DE. As an outside LB in a 3-4, he wasn't playing out of position. As a SLB in a 4-3, he's definitely out of position. His responsibilities include coverage against the TE, pursuing the ball, shedding blocks and impacting strong side runs, etc... He has no experience playing this position or any real LB position. I expect Wong to make a huge impact on this team with his return. He'll play much better and he'll also help Demeco Ryans with onfield adjustments.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Impact when Wong and Faggins return?

How much of an impact do y'all feel they are actually going to make on this defense...along with Faggins..
last I heard they expect to practice, but week or two away(if I remember what Kubiak said on his radio show this week)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #4
wrestler4life
Veteran

Default Re: Impact when Wong and Faggins return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
How much of an impact do y'all feel they are actually going to make on this defense...along with Faggins..
last I heard they expect to practice, but week or two away(if I remember what Kubiak said on his radio show this week)
Not much. But anyone is better than Greenwood. I don't think that I can take much more of his diving and missing at tackles 95% of linebackers would make in this league.
Old 10-17-2006   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life View Post
Not much. But anyone is better than Greenwood. I don't think that I can take much more of his diving and missing at tackles 95% of linebackers would make in this league.
Odds are, Wong is going to the Strongside, and I think he'll be better suited than Orr. Also, Faggins will be an upgrade. How big of an upgrade they'll be has yet to be determined, but they'll help.
Old 10-17-2006   #6
samomin
Veteran

Pre-Injury Faggins and Wong would be a big upgrade. How the post-injury Faggins and Wong perform, will be determined when they play. It will be hard to predict that for the first few games they play.
Old 10-17-2006   #7
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

If anything, Wong brings a stronger veteran presence on the field to take charge when things start imploding
Old 10-17-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Impact of SLB

Orr is no more an NFL DE than Wong--which is not at all even though both played there in college. Wong just makes a smarter, better overall NFL LB than Orr. The coaches have always commented on Wong's adaptability and smart play. He may not be the most physically gifted but he should be a big upgrade at SLB.
Old 10-17-2006   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think wong will make a big impact if he's able to play. he's so much more football savvy than orr and isnt nearly as likely to be caught out of position or overshoot a play (orr & peek i like a lot more as OLB's in a 3-4). besides that he's a tenured texan and a strong veteran presence on the defense that i'm certain will increase the comfort level of the back 7. wong's not going to be a great linebacker coming off an injury, he's going to be a smarter linebacker and a better tackler than the guy he's replacing while ryans still makes most of the plays. faggins needs to increase the talent level on the DB's. while that's not a very difficult task, he never impressed me, so time will tell on that one.
Old 10-17-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
faggins needs to increase the talent level on the DB's.
Faggins will get burned--possibly more than Sanders BUT he will not drop 4+ INT opportunities. Those are far more important than getting burned a few times unless it is for TD's. In addition to D created opportunities, this team needs sparks like that.
Old 10-17-2006   #11
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Sparks like this ....

Battle Red Day against J-Ville. Ahem.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be wrong but doesn't Wong play MLB in the 4-3? No way he takes that spot from DeMeco. So does he take the LOLB spot from Orr or what?
Old 10-17-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
I might be wrong but doesn't Wong play MLB in the 4-3? No way he takes that spot from DeMeco. So does he take the LOLB spot from Orr or what?
Yup--Orr becomes situational SLB at best. Probably split time the first couple games and become more rarely seen as Wong gets back up to speed. Wong has played OLB and ILB in both 4-3 and 3-4 alignments in the NFL. 1st got starts as a Vike at SLB then went to MLB. Came to Houston and went SLB, then WLB, then MLB.
Old 10-17-2006   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup--Orr becomes situational SLB at best. Probably split time the first couple games and become more rarely seen as Wong gets back up to speed. Wong has played OLB and ILB in both 4-3 and 3-4 alignments in the NFL. 1st got starts as a Vike at SLB then went to MLB. Came to Houston and went SLB, then WLB, then MLB.
OK, thanks for the info cak.
Old 10-17-2006   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle View Post
Sparks like this ....

The 1st and only Texans game Ive ever been to. Good choice on my part, that game was nothing short of amazing!!
Old 10-18-2006   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
wong played OLB, on both sides, in our 3-4 scheme and i think he'll be playing sam. i honestly forget which side he said he felt most comfortable on (i'm sure vinny remembers), but he'll deffinately be playing an OLB. he'll be taking orr's spot either way.
Old 10-18-2006   #17
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle View Post
Sparks like this ....

Im placing that day as the peak of this franchise so far, its all been downhill since that moment
Old 10-18-2006   #18
NJTexanFan
Rookie

I can't believe i hear people saying Wong taking Orr spot, i much rather him take Greenwood spot i've seen people bashing him but actually watching a game, HE CAN'T TACKLE FOR NOTHING! I was hoping Wong to come back and take his spot the only linebacker i know that dives at players legs and misses way to often
NJTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Greenwood has been doing a much better job than Orr so far, imo. Greenwood at least has the ability to make plays. Maybe Orr is a better tackler, but he takes himself out of so many play by making stupid decisions that he is never around to make the tackle in the first place.
Old 10-18-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

In particular, getting Wong back could be very helpful. Who knows what kind
of shape he'll be in ?Not just his general physical condidtioning but his football
shape. After all, he hasn't had any contact for a whole year.
But he's recognized as a popular guy amoung the players and he's a veteran with many years of NFL experience. And he's been a competant LB who can play the strongside, one of many positions where we desparately need help at.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read