Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2004   #41
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
all i'm gonna say is this...you put performance before potential
Exactly!

I also want to add that no matter who starts, our D better come to play and make statements all day because we are going to need them to win this game.

Here's hoping for win #2 in a row.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #42
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

With the way a lot of you are talking....because of Peeks two plays at the closing of the game and considering him to take over Babin's, Wong's or Foreman's position.........hell, I can't wait to see what you guys say if Banks goes in gets an 85% completions and 2 TDs with about 275 yrds. I can see it now, "Carr doesn't have the rhythm Banks has....Banks has far more experience....they should start Banks and let Carr learn another year on the sidelines!"
Old 09-29-2004   #43
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Let's not forget, Peek was left unblocked on his sack. .
I'll bet Babin has seen a few cases of being left unblocked in 3 games as well. How many sacks does he have? A sack is a sack. And with our defense, they are as precious as gold. I don't care how we get them as long as we start getting more or them.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #44
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this over-reaction Wensday or something? The sack is not the end-all stat for a defensive player, espically on OLb (in any system).

I'll take Babin's 3 to 4 solo tackles of a RB, stopping a big gain, and a couple of QB hurries over Peek's 2 sacks and getting burned on any counter or cut back run. A sack has as much to do withthe defensive alignment and play calling as player skill. Plus Peek gets to play on teh weak side, where as Babin is routinly going up against the opposing teams left tackle, ie their best O-line men.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #45
dmt217
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Is this over-reaction Wensday or something? The sack is not the end-all stat for a defensive player, espically on OLb (in any system).

I'll take Babin's 3 to 4 solo tackles of a RB, stopping a big gain, and a couple of QB hurries over Peek's 2 sacks and getting burned on any counter or cut back run. A sack has as much to do withthe defensive alignment and play calling as player skill. Plus Peek gets to play on teh weak side, where as Babin is routinly going up against the opposing teams left tackle, ie their best O-line men.
FYI, Babin normally lines up against a RT, while Wong goes up against the LT. The strong side could be on the left or right depending on where the TE lines up.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #46
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txnpride
Does anyone else on the forum think Peek should get the start sunday?I know we have alot vested in Babin,but Peek seems to be a step or two faster then Babin..Its all about QB pressure,and I think we have a better shot with Peek out there.Oakland has a massive line....speed kills If a thread of this nature has already been started,I apologize

Not me. Peeks had 2 gimmi sacks and now everyone thinks he should start. Fortunately Capers and Co. look at the big picture.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #47
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt217
FYI, Babin normally lines up against a RT, while Wong goes up against the LT. The strong side could be on the left or right depending on where the TE lines up.
My bad, your right. Dosn't really change how I feel though.

Babin is just the more complete and better football player right now.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2004   #48
NoBullTexan
Veteran

IMO, the problem Babbin is having right now is information overload. This is usual for a rookie in his third game. He will get it all down in another game or so, and then we can start to have valid comparisons. For my money he is, and should be, the starter. Yes, they need to figure a way to get Peek in on obvious passing downs because of his intense rush, but as has been stated above, after two years in the system, he still doesn't have his reads down, on first and second down.
Old 09-30-2004   #49
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

May I ask what in the heck a "gimme sack" is? The Texans are #25 in the NFL against the run on D. So Peek does not support the run well (so some of you say). So what in the statistics bear that Babin and Wong are doing any better in containment?
Old 09-30-2004   #50
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
May I ask what in the heck a "gimme sack" is? The Texans are #25 in the NFL against the run on D. So Peek does not support the run well (so some of you say). So what in the statistics bear that Babin and Wong are doing any better in containment?
This is a sack in which the O-Lineman does not block the rusher thus allowing a free shot at the QB. This happens when a LB is put in during passing situations and line up in blitz packages. I did not say anything about the Texans defense being ranked high in NFL sacks
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what in the statistics bear that Babin and Wong are doing any better in containment?
You can't see containment in the stats. All you see is tackles and not where they are made. For example look back at the 2002 season. Foreman had more tackles than Sharper, but that didn't reflect that Sharper was the better ILB because he was attacking the line of scrimmage and making his tackles closer while Foreman was making his 3-5 yds down field. Peek definitely is still working on containment.
Old 09-30-2004   #52
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

8 TDs in 79 pass attempts. Sounds like the defense is still working on alot more than containment.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #53
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
May I ask what in the heck a "gimme sack" is?...
Another example is the play where Walker got a half a sack. It was the last play of the first half and Green had to wait and wait for the receivers to run into the endzone. The Texans only had three on the D-line and then only rushed the outside rushers (Wong and Babin). Eventually, Green was flushed out by the two rushers and as he came up to the line of scrimmage, Walker,who had merely waited there, jumped out around the single blocker and feed him back to Wong. An easy stat for Wong and Walker.

It reminds me of the QB who throws up a Hail Mary and there is an INT. All interceptions aren't the same and all sacks aren't the same.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #54
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe we should try running a 3-5

EDIT: bah.. someone already made that joke. Honestly though.. considering how our defense has been playing.. if it doesnt start to improve.. maybe we SHOULD try some off the wall stuff. Or at the very least should change up the personel and see how Peek does out there. I know its a lot more interesting to watch when it looks like we are at least throwing different stuff out there and trying to find something that works.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #55
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
May I ask what in the heck a "gimme sack" is?
Strahan v. Favre.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004   #56
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
May I ask what in the heck a "gimme sack" is?
anything like a "gimme putt" ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004   #57
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Gimme a sack anytime at the end of a game to put the game away!

Go PEEK!
Old 10-02-2004   #58
Mischief
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mischief Send a message via Yahoo to Mischief

I agree with Peek being in there, he has made quite a difference.

But for god's sake, do not overwork Sharper... he's a good solid player, gets the job done, he's in around almost every tackle (led NFL last year w/164 season tackles). I feel like he is overlooked too often. The last thing we need right now are weak linebackers, since the DL is hurting once again already.

BTW, this is hubby posting.
Old 10-03-2004   #59
Aussie
Rookie

i actuallylike what peek can do comin off the sideline but i spose it would be interesting to see what a fulltime spot in the LB corps for him would bring but i still think startin babin is the way to go.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #60
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Its easy, you start Babin, you can bring in Peek for some obvious passing downs, he gets around 15-20 plays in the game, if he does well with it he can get more time or around that each game.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read