Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2006   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Field vision....

or lack there of! I rewatched the first series of the game last night (couldn't force myself to go through the whole thing yet) and there were holes opened up on every running play. I was screaming at the linemen while watching the game Sunday, but I stand corrected. Simple steps to the left or right would have given us 5 to 10 yard runs repeatedly if the running backs had better vision/speed. It was very aggrevating to watch the plays and look for holes exclusively. The goal line debacle was frustrating as well. Our back could have followed the full back to the left and went in untouched. The whole left side of the line was on the ground and he could have waltzed right in.
Old 10-17-2006   #2
real

Default Re: Field vision....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
or lack there of! I rewatched the first series of the game last night (couldn't force myself to go through the whole thing yet) and there were holes opened up on every running play. I was screaming at the linemen while watching the game Sunday, but I stand corrected. Simple steps to the left or right would have given us 5 to 10 yard runs repeatedly if the running backs had better vision/speed. It was very aggrevating to watch the plays and look for holes exclusively. The goal line debacle was frustrating as well. Our back could have followed the full back to the left and went in untouched. The whole left side of the line was on the ground and he could have waltzed right in.
Thank you.
Old 10-17-2006   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

You're welcome XTRU. Just stating the obvious though. Like I said earlier, it's really hard to watch the line/backs/QB/receivers in real time on Sunday. Going back and watching just the line shed a lot of light on what the actual problem was. I hadn't really done that before, much less in slow motion, pausing, etc. I know that DD didn't have a lot of speed, but he did posess good field vision and having him here with this line would put us in a whole other category at this point IMHO.
Old 10-17-2006   #4
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
You're welcome XTRU. Just stating the obvious though. Like I said earlier, it's really hard to watch the line/backs/QB/receivers in real time on Sunday. Going back and watching just the line shed a lot of light on what the actual problem was. I hadn't really done that before, much less in slow motion, pausing, etc. I know that DD didn't have a lot of speed, but he did posess good field vision and having him here with this line would put us in a whole other category at this point IMHO.
...why can't Kubiak see this?--every RB he adds to the roster gets the same result--what's up with this??
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
...why can't Kubiak see this?--every RB he adds to the roster gets the same result--what's up with this??
Every running back=Dayne & Gado...Basically Gado is a younger Dayne....

Lundy, Morency, and Taylor are quicker and looked better in the system...JMO
Old 10-17-2006   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

I don't know TSIP, but the holes were obvious and I know that if a regular fan like me can spot them, then a paid professional sure can see a lot more than I can. I don't know why we don't have a running back with speed for running plays and a good blocker in on pass plays? I know that some teams do this and it works. Sure you just throw a few times when you have the fast running back in just to throw them off, but if everyone does their assignment then it shouldn't matter if they know what you are doing because you should be able to execute better then they can. Wasn't that the knock on Lundy, that he isn't a good pass blocker? So put him in on running downs and put Dayne in on passing downs for the most part. Would give us a better chance of being successful in the running game if you ask me. He did excellent in preseason and I think if given an opportunity now he may just shine. Regardless, I think he can single handedly get more than 36 rushing yard in the game.
Old 10-17-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Every running back=Dayne & Gado...Basically Gado is a younger Dayne....

Lundy, Morency, and Taylor are quicker and looked better in the system...JMO
For some reason after trading Morency because of his "problems blocking" and now releasing PBuc because of "not being able to get on the field much" I think we are starting to see what Kubiak has talked about in the past about keeping guys on the roster that can do more than one thing. I mean you cannot tell me that PBuc would not have been worth the money we were paying him to keep him around as a punt returner and a nickel or dime back. And I still think Morency, even if he did have problems blocking, would have been worth keeping, I mean so what if you have to switch backs once or twice a series? Look at our running game is suffering now becuase we picked up two backs that "can block"...
Old 10-17-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he has seen it and that's why Lundy will be active for the next game. The problem before IMO, mostly had to do with blitz pick up which the young guys really sucked at. Kubes isn't stupid and will make the changes, but he really hasn't had the full package back that is needed.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I think he has seen it and that's why Lundy will be active for the next game. The problem before IMO, mostly had to do with blitz pick up which the young guys really sucked at. Kubes isn't stupid and will make the changes, but he really hasn't had the full package back that is needed.
I hope you're right EDO, that Lundy will see more action than just on special teams. I would like to see him get atleast 15 touched in the game. I don't think that is a lot to ask and I think it will give us a good assesment of where he is at this point in his rookie season. Hopefully he will see the holes better than Dayne is.
Old 10-17-2006   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Then if Lundy and Taylor don't do anything, then where would the problem be? Lundy didn't exactly light it up against Philly, ya know?

And Kubes said in the paper today he isn't starting Lundy because "he hasn't been able to handle it" . . . meaning he's still lost on blitz protections. Don't reckon Taylor would be any better at that, even if they both did get more yards running the ball.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #11
real

Quote:
I hope you're right EDO, that Lundy will see more action than just on special teams. I would like to see him get atleast 15 touched in the game. I don't think that is a lot to ask and I think it will give us a good assesment of where he is at this point in his rookie season. Hopefully he will see the holes better than Dayne is.
Honestly I don't think Lundy is the guy...I don't like how he runs either....But I like him more than Dayne...

IMO, Morency was the best back we had on the roster...He made some mistakes, but he ran with more "ummphh" than any back we have now...
Old 10-17-2006   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna see Chris Taylor this Sunday!
Old 10-17-2006   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

I just want to see something that works. I agree with everyone that we don't have a "complete back" at this point so we are going to have to make due with what we have. The only way to do that and be effective is to have a good runner in on run plays and a good blocker in on pass plays. I think it's the only way to be effective given the personnel we have at this point. I don't care if it's Lundy or Taylor back there, either one of them should get more yards than Dayne has.
Old 10-17-2006   #14
srstex
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry but I differ on the point about Kubiak, when your team average is less than 2 yrds/per carry, and you still try to run, well what would you call it. I only watched the game live, and my since is that after our first score kubiak went to ground with a "damn the torpedoes" attitude that enabled the Cowboys to stay close. When we score and our defense holds, it's time to score again, not just run the ball to prove a point. On Kubiak's assesment of the loss he said that he thought the team came out sluggish in the second half, well I would too if the play calling reminded me of last year, which it does, and the result reminding me of last year which it does, Sean Payton is doing something different in NO and it works, why can't Kubiak? Funny, the only team beat is the team with Capers. I predicted a win in big D, but after watching the Titan D, we are in for a long/hard defeat, and I still believe Sage is Kubiaks guy.
Old 10-17-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just want to see something that works. I agree with everyone that we don't have a "complete back" at this point so we are going to have to make due with what we have. The only way to do that and be effective is to have a good runner in on run plays and a good blocker in on pass plays. I think it's the only way to be effective given the personnel we have at this point. I don't care if it's Lundy or Taylor back there, either one of them should get more yards than Dayne has.
Agree 100% another good post.
Old 10-17-2006   #16
BlueThunder
Veteran

Why don't we steal Ray Perkins off the Chargers Practice squad...
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srstex View Post
Sorry but I differ on the point about Kubiak, when your team average is less than 2 yrds/per carry, and you still try to run, well what would you call it. I only watched the game live, and my since is that after our first score kubiak went to ground with a "damn the torpedoes" attitude that enabled the Cowboys to stay close. When we score and our defense holds, it's time to score again, not just run the ball to prove a point. On Kubiak's assesment of the loss he said that he thought the team came out sluggish in the second half, well I would too if the play calling reminded me of last year, which it does, and the result reminding me of last year which it does, Sean Payton is doing something different in NO and it works, why can't Kubiak? Funny, the only team beat is the team with Capers. I predicted a win in big D, but after watching the Titan D, we are in for a long/hard defeat, and I still believe Sage is Kubiaks guy.
So Kubiak should have done what after the ground game failed to get going, only called pass plays?:brickwall :brickwall

Yeah that wopuld have worked real well.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he has seen it and that's why Lundy will be active for the next game. The problem before IMO, mostly had to do with blitz pick up which the young guys really sucked at.
If that is the case, we have totally crippled our running game to do something as fundamental as pick up a blitz. Why do we have to do that crippling?

Is the blitz pickup ability of our RBs made more important because our o-line is so bad? Because Carr doesn't read blitzes right and reacts incorrectly? Both/neither/something else?
Old 10-17-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So Kubiak should have done what after the ground game failed to get going, only called pass plays?:brickwall :brickwall

Yeah that wopuld have worked real well.
That statement implies that doing nothing is acceptable...
Old 10-17-2006   #20
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
That statement implies that doing nothing is acceptable...
I'm not saying do nothing, but when somebody suggets that the course of action is to simply stop running the ball...I'll call them on the fact that will only get your team beat worse then continuing to try and run, and filing. They tried a screen...it failed, they tried to get guys out in teh flats...no luck there, and I'm pretty sure Kubiak chewed some asses at halftime. Face it we are not as talented as we thought we were, and nowhere is it more apprent then at the RB spot.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read