Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2006   #1
FILO_Doc
Veteran

Rep Power: 41 FILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Deferring the kickoff, am I missing something?

For the life of me, I can not figure out why the Texans or any NFL team for that matter, would even think of receiving the kickoff first.

Check out these scenarios.

1. It is late in the 2nd quarter, you have the ball and score a touchdown. You kicked off, so you have the momentum going your way. Comes to the 3rd, who gets the ball? You do and you have the momentum already going.

2. You stop the Offense from scoring, or hold them to a field goal, you get the ball back.

3. Nobody scores, but the momentum is on your side. You get the ball back.

You have to ask yourself, why would the team chose to receive the ball in the second half over the first, by controlling the momentum going into the final half would be the best possible position IMO.
Old 10-15-2006   #2
K.D.
Veteran

Default Re: Deferring the kickoff, am I missing something?

If we scored a TD on that opening drive, we would've been in pretty good shape, but of course all we could muster was a damn fg. SAD
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #3
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree totally. I always want the ball to start the 2nd half when I play Madden. LOL
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #4
FILO_Doc
Veteran

Rep Power: 41 FILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_Doc is a quality contributor and well respected

What is this Madden crap? I am talking real NFL, not Fantasy crap.

I am asking why no one defers the kickoff, not how the Texans seem to play their games. Come on, wanting some intelligent responses.
Old 10-15-2006   #5
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought deferring is smart thing to do. When you're trailing you want the first opportunity to get back in the game. If you have the lead you want to put the opposition in a bigger hole.
Old 10-15-2006   #6
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_Doc View Post
What is this Madden crap? I am talking real NFL, not Fantasy crap.

I am asking why no one defers the kickoff, not how the Texans seem to play their games. Come on, wanting some intelligent responses.
If you kick the ball and the other team makes a long drive and scores you may never get momentum the rest of the day. Everyone wants to score first.
Old 10-15-2006   #7
Nbkan
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Nbkan Send a message via AIM to Nbkan Send a message via MSN to Nbkan

I am of the mindset to set the tone on offense. Get points and never get behind attitude, but that's just me. And as for Madden...don't get me started.
Old 10-15-2006   #8
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_Doc View Post
For the life of me, I can not figure out why the Texans or any NFL team for that matter, would even think of receiving the kickoff first.
I think the reasoning is that by getting the ball first, you have a better opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the game. If you can get the ball and score on your first posession, you start making the other team play "catch-up." It's along the lines of seizing the initiative and making the other team respond to you rather than you responding to them.

Personally, though, I agree with you - I'd choose to defer. I would think that momentum is more valuable later in the game, once it's clearer what the situation is, than it is at the beginning, when there's lots of time for things to change around. But, I'm not a coach or player, so I might not understand the psychology of it all.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't defer your decision in the NFL as you can in college. You either choose to have the ball or not. The team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game can choose to start game and no other time. The team that losses the toss in the first half get to choose in the 2nd half.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #10
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was an automatic, and think Doc may be of the same thought.
He will log on tomorrow and respond, I am sure.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #11
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You can't defer your decision in the NFL as you can in college. You either choose to have the ball or not. The team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game can choose to start game and no other time. The team that losses the toss in the first half get to choose in the 2nd half.
I looked it up, you're right. I guess that settles that.
Old 10-15-2006   #12
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, that's right - you don't get a "defer" choice (nice for my second post to these forums to have been pointless :brickwall ).

The rules summary can be found at:
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/cointoss

The teams do get a choice, it appears: they can choose to kick instead of receive, or they can take their choice of which goal to defend instead of choosing to kick/receive. I can't imagine anyone taking any option other than to receive, though, unless it's in some really wild weather condition or something. Has anyone ever seen this happen?
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #13
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Yes, that's right - you don't get a "defer" choice (nice for my second post to these forums to have been pointless :brickwall ).

The rules summary can be found at:
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/cointoss

The teams do get a choice, it appears: they can choose to kick instead of receive, or they can take their choice of which goal to defend instead of choosing to kick/receive. I can't imagine anyone taking any option other than to receive, though, unless it's in some really wild weather condition or something. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

I think it depends who you are playing according to weakness or strength. If your opposition is weak on Offense, it would help to pin them deep and get an early turnover...
OR
If your opposition is weak on Defense, you would be better off accepting the kick and setting the pace score wise with a long drive downfield that takes time, gets points and deflates the opposition Defense...

JMO on the matter, I'm sure someone may have another option that may be better worded or defined
Old 10-16-2006   #14
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 984 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was the Bears I would always kickoff first and receive in the 2nd half. But most teams need to get out there first and try to get the first points.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read