Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2006   #1
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan
Default Thoughts on Mike Sherman

What are everyone's thoughts on Mike Sherman and is he helping or hurting the transition towards being the Houston Broncos?
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Mike Sherman

I think that Kubiak offered him the Asst. HC job since his staff was young and needed credibility. In exchange, Kubiak probably had to give him some control over his offense.

To answer the question, I think that he's hurting more than he's helping. I think that he's the reason that our run blocking is as bad as it is.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever says it is going swimmingly would have to be a relative or stalker of Sherman. Whether you are 9 or 90 you can recognize what not good looks like.
Old 10-15-2006   #4
TexanLen
Veteran

I think we should start a "DUMP SHERMAN!!!" campaign.

He did nothing with GB!!! Why would anyone think he would do something here?
TexanLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

It is hard to say if Sherman is the problem, Kubiak is the problem, or the fact that they are working together is the problem.

First of all, our o-line talent is less than it should be. Who has the final say on the players who make the roster and those who don't? I think Kubiak has final say on these matters and will trump Sherman.

Second, what is up with the scheme? We certainly don't look like we are running the same scheme as Denver. That is probably due to Sherman's tweaks.

I think if Sherman is trying to run a power tweaked Denver scheme with players that are suited for the pure finesse Denver scheme, then the problem is Kubiak and Sherman working together. They might each be more successful without the other.
Old 10-15-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think sherman is an incredible acquisition ... and the biggest problem for our offense. what seems to be happening, in my opinion, is that kubiak is adjusting to sherman ... which is wholly backwards. sherman was brought in to teach and offer an alternate perspective for kubiak to learn from. what appears to be happening is that sherman took entire control of the offense and kubiak is supervising. NO! our zone blocking system disappeared. we traded/benched our ZBS runningbacks. our offensive playcalling (after kubiak's script) is favre's playground style. we're running jevon walker .... err i mean andre johnson through the same 3 routes repeatedly. and are acquiring players (gado, leach, etc) that dont match kubiak ... the only person they can be attached to is sherman.

sherman is the best & worst thing we could do to our coaching staff. we're using the worst part right now. sherman needs to be only a teacher. he needs to be words of wisdom for the team and a back-brace for kubiak.
Old 10-15-2006   #7
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I agree with the opinions expressed here. He might have too much control over our offense and so Kubiak and Calhoun (hes the OC right?) can't do what they want to do. Hiring a former head coach might not have been a good idea.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2006   #8
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Sherman is on notice.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I want to see Flanagan and Dayne on the field at the same time, unless it is very late in the game and we (miraculously) have a lead. Dayne is not a starter, unless you run block like Pittsburgh, which I think we might be actually trying to do with the wrong type of linemen. Are we going to use the ZBS or not? Somebody ask Sherman and tell him you want a definitive answer. Use the right players with the right blocking scheme.

Oh, and tell the O-line in general to grow some balls or something. I'm tired of the O-line being the big major problem. I have yet to see them run and pass block well in the same season, even for a few games in a row. It's sickening.

You would think that football minds like Sherman and Kubiak would realize what it is about their working together that isn't meshing right. When Sherman took this job, he took a job working UNDER Kubiak. When Kubiak asked Sherman to come here, it was to work UNDER him. Sherman may be a HC, but not in Houston and Kubiak needs to run his offense and face up to his status as the leader of this team. We are teaching our QB to run a zone blocking offense, while using a non zone blocking scheme with zone blocking offensive linemen (well, generally), and a cheap version of Pittsburgh style running back. We are NOT the Houston Broncos. We are the Houdenspitt Bronstlers.

Last edited by HJam72; 10-15-2006 at 10:05 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read