Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Our backs vs. Dallas.

My first impression, was that the line didn't creat any holes for our runningbacks. I'm going to watch the game again, and disect each running play. there were only 14 of them, so this shouldn't take too long. I hope we can spare the bandwith.

I will admit, that I'm going in with the beliefe, that the problem is the line, so my analasys(sp) will more than likely reflect this. You are welcome to offer your analasis as well, and call me out if I'm not being fair.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our backs vs. Dallas.

Running game: Dallas.

1st Qtr
13:47 1st&10, Hou 43. 2 WR, 2 TE….
Dallas has a 5 man front, Ware on Owens, on the left side, Ellis(??) on Putz on the right. It looks like the Denver stretch play to the left. Owen get’s pushed back, Ware maintains his position in what would be a running lane, as he never took his eyes off the running back. Salaam & Pitts attack Chris Canty. Pitts Quickly leaves the block to attack the LB(James). Pitts doesn’t hit or explode into James, instead James knocks him back. On a second effort, Pitts attacks James again, but james shrugs him off, and allows him to fall to the ground. At this time, Ware has already left his block on Owens, and is on top of Dane. The Cut back lane is occupied by GregEllis, who is unaffected by the play of Putzier. Flanagan has trouble preventing the NT from moving in th direction of the play. Dayne actually has to jump over Flanagan to try to squeeze into the whole left by Pitts….. Mckinney actually does a good job of getting to the LB, and putting a good hit on him. Keeping him out of the play. Weigart does a good job of getting position against Spear(sp), and is moving him in the direction the line should be moving.

IMHO, Owen needs to do a better job of moving his man(ware) in the direction of the play. Salaam is doing well, against a big man, moving him in the right direction. If he could move him strecth the end out farther(he was kinda hindered since Owen didn’t do his job) it would help. Pitts needs to put LBs on their butts when he hits them. Flanagan should’ve been able to use his leverage(the NT was standing up) to throw the NT to the ground, and move on….. McKinney did a great job, Wiegart did a great job, Putz can act like a football player, and it would have helped this run tremendously.

Moulds putting a block on Newman would've helped had the Lane been there.
Old 10-15-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I also want to add, that it is next to impossible to say for 100% accuracy who had what responsibility, and who we can blame for what.... I'm just going to report what I see, and what I think would have helped our boys.
Old 10-15-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My first impression, was that the line didn't create any holes for our running backs.
That was my impression from watching the game, too. Funny how everyone seems to think it was Dayne and Gado's fault all the time.

Can you say . . . scapegoats?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

13:15 2nd & 9 Hou 42. 2 WR split Wideright, & wide left. Two tightends. One back.
Dallas has a 5 man line, 2 LBs centered behind the defensive line. Press corners, Roy williams 7 yards off the ball on the left. Looks like straight up man blocking, with a double team on the left side.

Owen is on the right side he does a great job getting off the line but doesn’t attack the linebacker, instead he tries to occupy 58(Brady James) who pretty much just punches him and tosses him before making the play on Dayne.

Wiegart does a good job sliding down, staying in front of Ellis….. Ellis is totally out of the play.

There is a huge hole on the right side, however when Dayne gets the ball from David, Spears has already overpowered McKinney, and is in the backfield. Dayne is strong enough to Elbow Spears away, and is sprinting(as much as the little bowling ball can sprint) away from Spears, as Marcus grabs the whole in Dayne’s Helmet, prompting the penalty call.

Had McKinney turned Spears away from the play, and Owen put a real block on James, this would have been a huge gain, as you know Dayne won’t out run anybody on the field, but it’s going to take a load to bring him down, the first guy wouldn’t do it.

Now there is a huge hole to the left side, Flanagan does his job, and doesn’t give up any ground to Ferguson, the NT. & Pitts & Salaam takes care of Canty on the other side. If either Pitts or Salaam would release into the second level, I’d think this was a zone blocking play, but as they appear to focus on an assignment, It looks like man blocking to me.

But since Dayne had a big hole on the right side, he got to that hole in good time, I won’t fault him for not taking the cut back. Both holes were huge.
Old 10-15-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

12:53 2nd & 4 Hou 37……. I formation. 1 TE, 2 WRs …..

Dallas is in a 5 man front, linebackers behind the line, Henry is 4 yards off AJ at the first down marker, I can’t see the safeties, or Newman.

Dayne follows Cook straight up the middle, McKinney assists Flanagan with the NT, taking him out of the play, then releases to take out the LB. But the LB ain’t having it, and brushes the big ol McKinney out of the way, working his way back to the middle of the field, where he could’ve laid a hit on Dayne, had he made it that far. As Cook was manhandled, and tossed 10 yards upfield by Bradie James.

Pitt’s first step is to the right, at a 45 degree angle….. classic ZBS, but since Canty takes an inside slant, he is out of position & tries to compensate…. Canty makes short work of him, and get’s Dayne at the LOS.

Salaam takes a great first step, & because Ware is so fast off the snap, he hits him square in the chest. You’d think that Ware would be easy to move, because he should be totally off balance, but Salaam doesn’t get him any further away from the line. Had Dayne decided to run in this direction, there would have only been a small crease for him to go through.

But Dayne sees a huge hole right in the middle of the Oline. Just like Kubiak drew up for them. However, as soon as he gets the ball, Chris Canty is headed straight for him. It’s actually pretty impressive, that Dayne is fast enough to get by him, but Canty’s long arms, and solid technique slows him down enough for MarcusSpear to toss Wiegart, and hit Dayne in the backfield as well.
Old 10-15-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

11:16 2nd & 3 Dall 16. I formation split right…. Andre Wide Left, Owen Wide Right, Moulds right slot. Owen Motions to the left side next to Salaam.
Dallas is playing man coverage, Corners tight, Williams follows Owen.

Both recievers do a good job with their down field blocks. Everyone but Flannagan & Owen tries to move left. Owen is getting knocked straight back by Ware, & Flanagan is trying to move the NT to the right. If Owen would attack Ware, and move him to the left, there would be a hole. Salaam goes left, but the DE doesn’t. He holds his position, and allow Salaam to go left around him. Flanagan is trying to push his man to the right, his man is trying to go left….. if Flanagan would give ground, a whole whould open up, but as he is holding his own, it’s a stalemate, and RonDayne has no where to go.

Both McKinney & Wiegart do an excellent job moving to the left, and creating a huge whole on the right. Cook does a good enough job blocking Ellis, had Dayne chosen to go to the right.

However, this hole was not there when Dayne got the ball. It didn’t open up, till Dayne had already hit Flanagan. In this case, Dayne was too fast getting to the LOS.

If he had made his decision when he got the ball, to go to the right, it would have been a big gain. Touchdown even as there is no one behind the LOS. The whole wasn’t there at this time, but from my chair, with my pause button, and slow motion, I can see everything is stopped on the left side, and the right side is moving like it should be.

Instead, Dayne takes one step after the handoff, and for some reason decides to go to the left….

If anything, he should line up an extra yard or two behind David, so he’ll have more time to decide where the play is developing. After that step(after getting the handoff) it would have to have been an extreme cut (not something Dayne does, but a guy like ClintonPortis does easily).

But, I'll be more than happy to blame this poor run on the running back.

it would've been a touchdown.
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2006   #8
BlueThunder
Veteran

Dallas has a heck of a tandem maybe top in the NFL...There best RB may not have carried the ball today..That Tyson Thompson is big strong and the fastest RB on that team.I will bet with 300 reps he could possibly take the starting job..I don't see anything on this team that could challenge JJ.Julius is still not completely developed but this is the first year he was ready to start and carry 300 times...He's going to get better as the year goes on..This year he just reached the carries most runners come out of college with.He was young and green when he got to Dallas..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 10-15-2006 at 07:24 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

10:40 3rd & 3 Dal 15 Single back, 3 WR, strongside right Kevin Walter wide left, motions next to Salaam, AJ in the slot left, Moulds Wide right.

Dallas has a four man front(most of their sacks against philly came out of this 4 man front) 2 LBs behind the line. Henry is manned on Walter, and moves with him on the motion. Newman is over AJ in the slot, RoyWilliams is 7 yards off the ball to the right side. Looks like Watkins in coverage over Moulds… It may be Glenn, I can’t tell, as there should be one more guy on the field, that I can’t see.

It’s a pitch around the left side…. Salaam Pulls, to block for Dayne, but is chopblocked by Newman(no call). Dayne turns the corner, picks up 7 yards total, then gets his helmet ripped off.

If Henry didn’t pull that helmet off, I think Dayne may very well have taken this one for a touchdown, as it is the pulling of the helmet that pulls him out of bounds. All he has to do, is run over Watkins, and he’s in……. maybe easier said than done, but you know Dayne is a beast to bring down.
Old 10-15-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

10:19 1st & Goal Dal 4. I formation split right. Eric motions from wide left to the right slot. AJ is far right, Strongside left.

Dallas is in a 5 man front, two LBs behind the line, both safeties in the endzone. After Eric motions to the right, Ware puts his hand on the ground, and Ellis(??) motions out to cover him.

1st step, is 45 degrees right…. Definite ZBS. Owen doesn’t get any movement out of Ware. They just lock up, and stand there for a while.

Salaam & Pitts explode off the line, and there appears to be some room there to run, depending on whether or not Ware can get off his block…. I don’t think he’d have a problem. But any way.

Salaam, looks like he’s got his weight way over his feet. Canty kinda bobs & weaves, and Salaam is on the ground. Pitts. (56) James, and takes him to the back of the endzone.(Good job Chester Pitts).

Flanagan plays patty-cake with Ferguson, who sheds this block with ease, and makes first contact with Dayne at the LOS. Then Canty jumps on top of them, then Spears falls on top of him.

McKinney does an excellent job hitting Ayodele & stopping him from penetrating the line. But he needs be able to move a linebacker anywhere he wants on the field.

Wiegart is a little slow off the ball, but does a better job of moving the bigger Spears back towards the endzone.

Now when Dayne gets the ball, the cut back lane to the left appears to be opened up. Except that Canty is standing there, at the LOS with Salaam at his feet. I wouldn’t want to run in that hole. There is a small crease on the right side, that Dayne does elect to take, and get’s to the three.

I would’ve followed my fullback to the next lane to the right. Moulds is blocking Ellis pretty well. Then Cook takes over when Moulds releases. Only RoyWilliams & PatWatkins could have made a play, and they were both in the endzone when Cook got to Ellis, which would be the same time Dayne would have got to this hole.

this was a positive play, so I won't assess blame on anyone.
Old 10-15-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

9:43 2nd & Goal from the one. I formation. 1WR 2 TE, goal line formation.

Power run game. The Oline is perfect. Owens throws a nice cutblock to take Ware out of the play. Pitts & Flanagan block to the right, opening a huge hole. Cook finds it, and lays a block on Ayodele. Had Ronnie followed him, it would have been six. Instead, he thinks he can power his way through the right side of the line, where everyone seems to be piling up…… he may have to, had Newman not come around and pull him out of the hole he was trying to burrow.

But, he made a conscious decision not to follow his fullback……

Fault…… Dayne
Old 10-15-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

5:38 3rd & 4 Hou32 Single back, 3 WR strongside right. AJ motions to right slot.
Newman follows AJ, Corners are in press coverage, 1 safety deep, LBs behind LOS.

Dallas sends all 5 linemen. Making it a 5 on 5 competition. We are overloaded on the left side, Salaam takes on Canty. Blocks him OK.

Pitts is slow off the ball, but puts a decent block on Ayodele coming from the second level….. Pitts is just waiting on him.

Flanagan gets bullrushed by Ratliff, who discards him on our side of the ball, and tackles Gado…. About the same time Ware gets to Gado, as Ware came around the left side free.

There is absolutely nothing that looks like a running lane as Spears punches McKinney in the gut, then leaves him for dead. & is in the backfield to fall on Gado, just in case he was strong enough to carry Ratliff & Ware on his back.

Wiegart did a good job picking up Ellis.

Fault Oline.
Old 10-15-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3:09 2nd & 1 Hou 11. I formation, 1 WR. Right side.

Dallas has 6 men on the LOS. Newman on AJ.

ZBS, stretching to the right. Everything looks like it’s going well, except Weary never gets off his initial block. He & Flanagan are trying to block #93, after that, he should progress into the second level, and take out Roy Williams. Instead, Roy is in the hole as Cook gets there. Cook is no match for Roy. Gado can wait a sec, and hit that hole again as Roy Williams clears Cook out of the hole pretty quickly. But instead, he tries to cut it back. Now this is what I call an extremem cut, He is at the LOS, not even a step behind the line, but manages to cut it back to the left side.

Unfortuanately, In the course of the game, Owens still hasn’t beefed up enough to handle Ware, who is tossing him to & fro……. And makes the play on Gado. Henry also comes in untouched, and lays a blow on Gado.

Fault…… Oline.
Old 10-15-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

5:19 2nd & 6 Hou30….. I formation split right. 2WR Owen wide right, motions to RT. Moulds Right slot, AJ Wide Left.

Dallas has a 4 man front. Ellis is Wide out covering Owen as a reciever. Newman is covering Moulds in the slot, and Henry is on AJ.

This is straight up man blocking. Ware goes wide, Salaam does a good job staying in front of him. All the guys stand up as if they are pass blocking.

Pitts does good picking up Canty. Nothing spectacular, but he is accounted for, and occupied. Flanagan gets a little push on the NT…… not much at all, but a little.

Weary shoots out and takes on Ayodele, but doesn’t move him any. Ayodele doesn’t make a play, but Weary doesn’t really clear out a hole either.

Wiegart takes on Spears, and if they were pass blocking, he’d have done a good job. But as this is a run play, and Spears is on the LOS, as he sheds the block, and jumps on Dayne….. Wiegart didn’t really do crap.

Owen comes up, and get’s in Bradie James’ way. But not enough to really be called block or anything.

Cook comes up, and lays a good block on Ellis. He hits him, and thought he doesn’t drive him back, had Dayne followed him, he’d have been able to get a big gain.

But Dayne tries to exploit the little bitty seam that formed between Wiegart, & Flanagan. As I mentioned before, Wiegart is barely occupying Spears, Weary hasn’t cleared the hole, and Owen is helping BradieJames shut the hole down.

The biggest chance for a gain was to Dayne’s left. Pitts is working on Canty, Ware ran himself out of the play, and AJ has a good block on Henry. But Dayne appears to not even see it.

Fault….. Dayne.. he had three choices, and chose the worse of the three.

This was a run for 4 yards...... so it can't be considered a failure..... but there was a much bigger gain to either side of the hole Dayne chose.
Old 10-15-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3:21 3rd & 1 Dal41. I formation 2 TE strongside right. Daniels motions to the left side.

Anthony Henry motions with him Newman is in press coverage on AJ, wide left. There are 6 Cowboys on the LOS. RoyWilliams is in the LB spot next to BradieJames.

This looks like a Denver stretch play to the left, except the left side doesn’t stretch. Everyone from Flanagan down takes the first step left, with the left foot at 45 degrees… Pitts shots into the second level, and blocks BradieJames, he chips him, and James is allowed to get in on the play.

The nose tackle actually makes the play as Flanagan moves him to the left.

Salaam takes on Canty, but Canty can’t be moved. Owen waits for Ellis to decide to rush the LOS. I think Owen should have come off the line & layed a hit on Ellis. At least he would have been off the LOS, allowing Flanagan & the rest of the line to stretch in that direction.

There was no cutback lane. If anything, Dayne could have tried to bounce it outside, and get a couple, but since Owen was barely getting in the way of Ellis, I doubt he would have gotten much on that one.

Cook took the only hole available, and Dayne followed him in for no gain.
Old 10-15-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3:21 3rd & 1 Dal41. I formation 2 TE strongside right. Daniels motions to the left side.

Anthony Henry motions with him Newman is in press coverage on AJ, wide left. There are 6 Cowboys on the LOS. RoyWilliams is in the LB spot next to BradieJames.

This looks like a Denver stretch play to the left, except the left side doesn’t stretch. Everyone from Flanagan down takes the first step left, with the left foot at 45 degrees… Pitts shots into the second level, and blocks BradieJames, he chips him, and James is allowed to get in on the play.

The nose tackle actually makes the play as Flanagan moves him to the left.

Salaam takes on Canty, but Canty can’t be moved. Owen waits for Ellis to decide to rush the LOS. I think Owen should have come off the line & layed a hit on Ellis. At least he would have been off the LOS, allowing Flanagan & the rest of the line to stretch in that direction.

There was no cutback lane. If anything, Dayne could have tried to bounce it outside, and get a couple, but since Owen was barely getting in the way of Ellis, I doubt he would have gotten much on that one.

Cook took the only hole available, and Dayne followed him in for no gain.

0:34 3rd & 1 Dal 31…. Single back, 3 WR, strongside right.

Dallas has 6 guys on the LOS, Glenn is playing 5 yards beyound the first down marker. 6 yards in front of Moulds.

Straight up man blocking… every body doing what they can…. RoyWilliams attacks the line as soon as he sees Dayne open his hands… he comes into the hole that Dayne is trying to hit, knocking Dayne back. Dayne tries with a second effort, But is tackled by 3 Cowboys, including RoyWilliams.

I honestly would have thought Dayne would win a one on one with RoyWilliams, but Williams got a good angle on Dayne, and hit him in the side, and not head on.

I can’t really blame anyone Since they all did what they were supposed to do.
Maybe if our RB was faster, he could’ve got to the LOS before Roy, but I doubt he’d have got a chance to make a second effort had Roy taken a better angle.
Old 10-15-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3rd Qtr.
5:42 1st & 10 Hou25. I formation split right. Owen Daniels wide right, Moulds in the slot right, Aj wide left. Owen motions to RT.

RoyWilliams motions with Daniels. Dallas is in a 5 man front, 3 men down, both linebackers standing up.

This is straight up man blocking. Dayne goes straight up the middle. Our Oline has moved the Dline off the line, which makes up the 2 yards Dayne gains….. but that’s all.. Wiegarts man comes off his block, and tackles Dayne as he reached the LOS.

Another running back may have tried to cut it to the right… as there was some daylight there. But Ware is barely toying with Cook, and tosses him as Dayne gets the ball. I doubt there was much to be had….. but there was definitely nothing to the Left…. Looks like the guys are forming a pocket.

I’m going to give the speedy back of your choice the benefit of the doubt, and say that he would have gained more than 2 yards had he cut right.

Fault……. Dayne.
Old 10-15-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

& that's basically it, we don't try to run the ball any more.

Now I will say, even though we weren't making big gains on our runs in the first half, we were controlling the clock, and staying on the field. May very well have been because of the passing game that we were moving the ball, but I don't agree with abandoning the run game like we did. We got to the point to where we only ran on first down, then go to throwing. Or we'd try to run on 3rd & 1.

I think we were too predictable.

Then in those situations, where you've got big Ole GreggEllis, or poor covering Roy Williams on OwenDaniels, you check out of your run, and exploit that mismatch.
Old 10-15-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the recap, TK.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

After reading your recap I gotta ask how did you come to the conclusion that the O-line is the one that should shoulder most of the load? A recurring theme throughout your posts were, he chose the wrong hole, he didn't get to the hole fast enough, I thought he would have done better, but they were able to bring him down. I mean c'mon just admit we need better RB's.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read