Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2006   #1
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Kubiak is choking in my oppinion

I'm sorry but this game is clincher for me, Gary Kubiak is so hung up on the running game he is crippling this team. the texans hung in there played decent defense in the first half, had the lead, but the the real story to me is running the ball 3 times on 3rd down when we have had no success the whole game running the footbal. I think this is bad for 2 reasons, its inneffective, and it shows no confidence in the one part of the offense that has worked at least moderately effective. you could see the look on Carr's face during the game several times, you dont handcuff your QB and your team because you wont give up on the run. sure enough it swept thru the entire offense as we turned the ball over severall times. we will be lucky if most of Carr's and the offensive lines progress evaporates now from lack of support by the coaching / playcalling. I'm all for a good running game, but we dont have it. and continuing to run the ball for 2 yard gains is not going to fix it. and runing the ball on 3rd and 4, 3rd and 2, and 3rd and 1 unsuccessfully did more damage in my oppinion than just failing to convert. If Kubiak does not give up this strategy we are assured of a top 5 draftpick next draft, maybe that's the plan, who knows.
Old 10-15-2006   #2
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: Kubiak is choking in my oppinion

just a side note, anyone else notice anthony henry all over our recievers with no calls? maybe its just me.
Old 10-15-2006   #3
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

T.O. stands for terrell owens for dallas and turnovers for us... we killed ourselves with turnovers. there is no reason we should not have won that game.
Andrew6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
there is no reason we should not have won that game.
Besides the lack of a run game? The penalties? The turnovers, like you mentioned earlier? Our corners that are not so hot? WR's dropping balls? There is quite a list of reasons why we should not have won.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

well was it Bum Phillips that said something about "when passing 2 out of 3 things are bad"

I don't know if Kubiak is choking, I think it is a combination of whole new schemes on both sides of the ball, new coach, and with that said a coach that inherited players that don't fit his scheme. unfortuantly it will take 2 years maybe to get our defense fitted for a 4-3 scheme and an offense that needs a RB and quality OL.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #6
sleepwalker
Veteran

You just don't get it, there's a lot of people around these boards that don't get it...You can't just pass pass pass in this league...You have to run the ball period, that's how this game works...You force defenses to man under or blitz which creates opportunities in the pass game.

Sure our offensive line is pathetic, but dropping back and throwing into double coverage all day won't work for this offense and you know it.

Kubiak is doing what he has to do, make this team better...The guy's winning record should make it obvious that he knows what this team should and shouldnt be doing.

Anybody will real football sense understands that the major cause of this loss was very poor execution in the offensive line...They were completely owned and used by 3 down linemen...How you can say that this is Kubiak's fault is beyond comprehension to me.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I'm sorry but this game is clincher for me, Gary Kubiak is so hung up on the running game he is crippling this team. the texans hung in there played decent defense in the first half, had the lead, but the the real story to me is running the ball 3 times on 3rd down when we have had no success the whole game running the footbal. I think this is bad for 2 reasons, its inneffective, and it shows no confidence in the one part of the offense that has worked at least moderately effective. you could see the look on Carr's face during the game several times, you dont handcuff your QB and your team because you wont give up on the run. sure enough it swept thru the entire offense as we turned the ball over severall times. we will be lucky if most of Carr's and the offensive lines progress evaporates now from lack of support by the coaching / playcalling. I'm all for a good running game, but we dont have it. and continuing to run the ball for 2 yard gains is not going to fix it. and runing the ball on 3rd and 4, 3rd and 2, and 3rd and 1 unsuccessfully did more damage in my oppinion than just failing to convert. If Kubiak does not give up this strategy we are assured of a top 5 draftpick next draft, maybe that's the plan, who knows.
first, I think that any coach would like to think his offense could pick up at least 1-3 yards each time they ran the ball, so i can't blame him for that. 2nd think about where this coach came from? An offensively run oriented team/concept. The guy is not going to change up his strategy just b/c he doesn't have the talent HERE to do it. 3rd, we weren't really out of the game until very late in the 4th when he did abandon the run.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2006   #8
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I am still 100% behind Kubes but I'll have to admit, he was out coached today.

Of course, it was Bill Parcels who out coaches allot of people so I don't feel too bad about it.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Out coached? Maybe before the game ever started in terms of personnel, but what were the in game coaching issues? Did he tell Sheppard to cough the ball? Did he have Carr throw the ball underneath the coverage and tell AJ not to come back for it? Did he tell Dayne and Gado--no really I don't want positive rushing plays? Where was the outcoaching?
Old 10-15-2006   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
I am still 100% behind Kubes but I'll have to admit, he was out coached today.

Of course, it was Bill Parcels who out coaches allot of people so I don't feel too bad about it.

Andy Reid was out-coached today too.
Old 10-15-2006   #11
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
first, I think that any coach would like to think his offense could pick up at least 1-3 yards each time they ran the ball, so i can't blame him for that. 2nd think about where this coach came from? An offensively run oriented team/concept. The guy is not going to change up his strategy just b/c he doesn't have the talent HERE to do it. 3rd, we weren't really out of the game until very late in the 4th when he did abandon the run.
so what you just use the whole season for a big training camp? you dont try to win games? kubiak has time and time again made questionable decisions on offense because he wouldnt try to win, you run on 3rd down with a good offensive line, not with one of the worst runblocking lines in the league.
Old 10-15-2006   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Out coached? Maybe before the game ever started in terms of personnel, but what were the in game coaching issues? Did he tell Sheppard to cough the ball? Did he have Carr throw the ball underneath the coverage and tell AJ not to come back for it? Did he tell Dayne and Gado--no really I don't want positive rushing plays? Where was the outcoaching?
I would have liked to see a bootleg on the 2nd down play when we were on the goal line. Carr could have run it in himself, tried to to throw to AJ or Moulds, or one of our TEs.

I also would have liked to see us get aggressive and go for it on 4th down and 1 with bootlegs. I did not like the pitiful looking Qb sneak. Again, a rollout would have been great for that play.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #13
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

The front office choked when they didn't draft Reggie Bush.
Old 10-15-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm going to give kubiak an entire season before i get overly frustrated, but i was shouting at my tv quite a bit. henry sat on AJ's quick slant all day ... adjust. a simple head fake and AJ's got noone within 10 yards of him on the sideline. running on 3rd down didnt work the first 30 times we tried it ... adjust. a screen pass to the TE or RB would probably go for about 50 yards with the way dallas' front 7 was playing in that situation.

that being said. our offensive line sucks. incase i havent said it enough over the years ... OUR OFFENSIVE LINE SUCKS. i think it was mack brown last night said it best ... this game hasnt changed in 100 years, you have to run the ball to be successful. we have to run the ball. whether it's working or not, we STILL have to run the ball and continue to improve in that area. if even greg ellis is dropping into coverage because we cant run it, that makes it extremely difficult for carr nomatter how much time he's got to throw the ball.

we have to run the ball, but i agree to some degree that kubiak's struggling ... especially adjusting to the flow of the game. his scripted gameplan is flawless however.
Old 10-15-2006   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
so what you just use the whole season for a big training camp? you dont try to win games? kubiak has time and time again made questionable decisions on offense because he wouldnt try to win, you run on 3rd down with a good offensive line, not with one of the worst runblocking lines in the league.
You seen what happened when the Dallas D pretty much felt like they could stop our run with the front 3-4 don't you? They started jumping our WR routes which lead to at least one of Carr's picks. You have to at least THREATEN to run the ball even if the opposing teams defense doesn't bite. And it's not his fault that AJ dropped critical passes & that Dayne & Gado are the equivalent to Thelma & Louise running the ball.
Old 10-15-2006   #16
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

I agree that saying he 'choked' is a tad harsh on the guy. He and the coaching staff obv made some bad calls but 'choked' isn't the term I would use. I like the above term 'outcoached' and it was by a seasoned veteran Coach who knows what he is on about, not a young upstart who got lucky...

In saying that though, sometimes the best way to coach is not coach as much/hard. After the way the O and D played in the 1st half, maybe he should have just let them off the leash and let them play their natural game. Holding players back with overcoaching can be a problem (in any sport) and with all the penalties that occurred etc in the 2nd half maybe that's what happened... or maybe that happens if you let you players too loose at the same time, hmmm
Old 10-15-2006   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
You just don't get it, there's a lot of people around these boards that don't get it...You can't just pass pass pass in this league...You have to run the ball period, that's how this game works...You force defenses to man under or blitz which creates opportunities in the pass game.

Sure our offensive line is pathetic, but dropping back and throwing into double coverage all day won't work for this offense and you know it.

Kubiak is doing what he has to do, make this team better...The guy's winning record should make it obvious that he knows what this team should and shouldnt be doing.

Anybody will real football sense understands that the major cause of this loss was very poor execution in the offensive line...They were completely owned and used by 3 down linemen...How you can say that this is Kubiak's fault is beyond comprehension to me.
Damn! First decent post I've seen yet today.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
The coaches do share in the responsibility of how the players are able to play.

The coaching staff judged the talent available when building the team and weighted the various factors in their decision making. They chose to weight two factors higher tahn some other teams might:

1) who the player played with before
2) the ability to play two positions at a medicore level over playing one position at a higher level

This certainly can lead to reduced performance and execution - the best available players aren't on the field.

The running back problem also seems to be exacerbated by the inability of this team to judge talent.
Old 10-15-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Let's not beat around the Bush, here. The problem is the line. If they cannot open holes, the running back won't get through them, and all year the line has not been able to run-block. I admit that the backs are looking pretty lame, but my understanding of the Denver/Kubiak running system was that any nobody player could fit into it because the linemen were opening up holes and knee-blocking. If they can't open up that yardage, then the back isn't going to go three yards.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read