Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2004   #1
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Default Coach Capers proving Vince Lombardi correct

Former Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi once said that statistics were for losers. Meaning that often, after a loss, players, coaches and fans will sit around and pour over the game stats. They would do this in an effort to figure out...."what went wrong, how did we lose?" I bring this up because I can't help but notice how important "stats" seen to be to Coach Capers. Dom seems to have stats for every area of our football team!
But.....sadly, since we are 0-2 it looks more & more if Coach Lombardi knew exactly what he was talking about!
Old 09-23-2004   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't particularly remember Capers being a stat spewer. Care to give us some examples?

Methinks you are referring to folks around here that are responding with facts to some of your opinions.
Old 09-23-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The only 'stat' I can remember him stating was turnovers.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #4
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Don't particularly remember Capers being a stat spewer. Care to give us some examples?

Methinks you are referring to folks around here that are responding with facts to some of your opinions.
Sure, go the WWW.HoustonTexans.com the day after a game and read that "Coaches Corner" thing he does. He tells just about every team stat on what we were good or bad at and compares it to the other teams.
Old 09-23-2004   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
Sure, go the WWW.HoustonTexans.com the day after a game and read that "Coaches Corner" thing he does. He tells just about every team stat on what we were good or bad at and compares it to the other teams.
See that's funny, here is the kind of thing I see from him:

Quote:
Head coach Dom Capers had little to say after the game. The numbers spoke for him and added more detail to a blueprint of frustration.

“Well, I’ll share with you exactly what I just told our football team,” Capers said. “It doesn’t make any difference what you do in the National Football League. If you turn the ball over three times on offense, if you can’t get off the field on third downs on defense and if you give a kickoff return up for a touchdown, you’re not going to win football games. It just doesn’t make much difference what else you do.

“To me, when you’re in these situations, first of all, it takes courage because that’s what gives you the power to face some difficult situations and your character determines how you respond to it. I believe in the guys’ character on this team. I think that they know that we’ve got an awful lot of work to do. We’ve got to go back to work and in those areas we have to make significant improvement in or we won’t win. It’s just that simple.”
Old 09-23-2004   #6
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
See that's funny, here is the kind of thing I see from him:
If you read enough of his posts instead of "selected" ones you will see my point. Question for you since I'm a Texan fan but not a texan. In Texas do you prove yourself right by trying to always prove others wrong? Just wondering.

Last edited by Bill's/TexanFan; 09-24-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Bill's/TexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In Texas do you prove yourself right by trying to always prove others wrong? Just wondering.
If you don't want your point of view challenged I'd suggest you not post in BBS forums. That is what we do here.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2004   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In Texas do you prove yourself right by trying to always prove others wrong?
Yes, always. That's the way it's done. That's how I win arguments with my steer.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
If you read enough of his post instead of "selected" ones you will see my point. Question for you since I'm a Texan fan but not a texan. In Texas do you prove yourself right by trying to always prove others wrong? Just wondering.
Where you live do you prove yourself correct by making bold assertions with no evidence?

Rather than the vague referent you provided, I gave you a specific example and my opinion that it was typical of Caper's statements. Funny, since I didn't say it contradicted you that you drew that conclusion. Maybe it was obvious after all.
Old 09-23-2004   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I often see Coach Capers jotting things down and that is a bit different than most coaches.

I think he is just a very detailed oriented person.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #11
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If you don't want your point of view challenged I'd suggest you not post in BBS forums. That is what we do here.
If I didn't know better Vinny I'd think you were showing me the door for not agreeing with your opinions.
Old 09-23-2004   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I'll tell you what Caper's is writing down 60% of the time: "Well that play sucked, let's not run that again."
Old 09-23-2004   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I didn't know better Vinny I'd think you were showing me the door for not agreeing with your opinions.
How is that? Post what you feel and defend your point of view. That is how it works. Trust me, I'm not the coddling type.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I often see Coach Capers jotting things down and that is a bit different than most coaches.

I think he is just a very detailed oriented person.
Well coaches like to know what the other team is doing successfully and unsuccessfully to make the adjustments in the second half. He might not make the right ones but he is still observing them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #15
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If you don't want your point of view challenged I'd suggest you not post.
I guess I had my say about Clinton Portis so perhaps I'll heed the earlier advice you gave me. I'll maintain a low profile and allow you smarter Texas boys to figure out why we are 0-2 going into the Kansas City game.
Old 09-23-2004   #16
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags

I'll tell you what Caper's is writing down 60% of the time: "Well that play sucked, let's not run that again."

funny it seems that they are running the same plays still though.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #17
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
I guess I had my say about Clinton Portis so perhaps I'll heed the earlier advice you gave me. I'll maintain a low profile and allow you smarter Texas boys to figure out why we are 0-2 going into the Kansas City game.
It's a simple fact that if you're going to post on a message board that your opinion will be challenged by others. You could state that the "sky is blue" and end up with a few dissenting opinions saying that it was more of a light blue or a dark blue almost purple. You're not being singled out for your viewpoint anymore than any other poster. If you make a statement just be prepared to back it up and support it with facts and or reliable sources. You're welcome to state whatever your opinion is as to why the Texans are 0-2 but you will likely be challenged no matter what you say. Some think it was turnovers, others think it was play calling, and the list goes on and on. Apparently you think it was questionable draft decisions. Make your case for it as best you can, and be prepared for a solid debate from other posters. Nothing war-like about it. Just a simple debate amongst Texan fans.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I know what you are saying El Tejano but if you watch other games and I'm sure you do being a football fan most coaches don't write anything down.

I find Coach Capers very knowledgeable. I am not certain but I think somebody asked him on 610 once and I'm pretty sure it was him and he said that he's always taking notes about everything and he keeps them all!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Yes I know what you are saying El Tejano but if you watch other games and I'm sure you do being a football fan most coaches don't write anything down.
I won't claim to testify about most NFL coaches. I would be shocked if most were just keeping all there notes in their head and at least not using their radios have someone else write them down. I do know that who I consider to be one of the greatest NFL coaches, Tom Landry, always had a note pad available. Seems pretty much grasping at invisible straws to me to think taking notes is indicative of a coach that needs to be replaced.
Old 09-23-2004   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Strategy

The fact the Capers is taking notes is almost proof agaisnt those who say that his play calling is so bad and that he's putting no thought into it. He's probably got a thousand ideas he'd like to use if the protection was there--the pass plays they're calling for just get dumped out to DD.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read