Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Has Dallas already won?

If you listen to Kubiak talk is all he says is that you can't do this and you can't do that against Dallas. Have they already dictated what we can do? I'm sorry, but I'm more of the Lombardi type in that you do what you do best and make the other team prove they can stop it. If we run the plays the way we are suppose to - No i didn't use the word - you should be able to make them work.

I, remember the days of Wooden and basketball, he simply did not scout the other teams. He played his game and said "bring it on". I'm not saying don't be aware of strengths and weaknesses, but you have to play your game and do what you do best. You can't let the other team dictate the way you play your game. You want to dictate how they play their game.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #2
Rightnow
Veteran

Default Re: Has Dallas already won?

Everybody in the media that I have heard and read is saying that Dallas is going to win, and win big.

I think Kubiak is just giving them their due. Dallas is a good but not great team this year that can be a playoff contender.

That being said, there is a reason why the games are played and an unfortunate turnover or some heroic play on the part of the Texans can bring a win. I think that McClain is right that this game is on Carr. The running game will continue to struggle barring a breakout performance and the passing game will be key. If Carr has a fantastic game I think we can win.
Old 10-12-2006   #3
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow View Post
Everybody in the media that I have heard and read is saying that Dallas is going to win, and win big.

I think Kubiak is just giving them their due. Dallas is a good but not great team this year that can be a playoff contender.

That being said, there is a reason why the games are played and an unfortunate turnover or some heroic play on the part of the Texans can bring a win. I think that McClain is right that this game is on Carr. The running game will continue to struggle barring a breakout performance and the passing game will be key. If Carr has a fantastic game I think we can win.
We have definitely got to take advantage of their secondary. I think it's the weak link of their defense. Defensively, we've gotta get in the backfield and hound Bledsoe. Yeah, we'll give up some pass plays but we also have to force some mistakes and get some sacks. I don't care how you scheme to do just so long as you do it.
Old 10-12-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:

Yep, we want them to fear our passing game as that is what we do best right now. If that happens then the running game will be effective. My main point is that we want to make them to adjust to us not the other way around. We want to take them out of their game plan. That is the best way to beat Parcells. He is hard nose and doesn't like to change.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry View Post
Yep, we want them to fear our passing game as that is what we do best right now. If that happens then the running game will be effective. My main point is that we want to make them to adjust to us not the other way around. We want to take them out of their game plan. That is the best way to beat Parcells. He is hard nose and doesn't like to change.
Exactly. We HAVE to set the tone for the game. If we walk in there with the "we can't win this game" attitude, then they have already won! The guys have to feel like there is a chance (and there is a chance, more than people think).

Old 10-12-2006   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think this game is on the defense. If they can't get off the field, Carr nor anyone else on offense will be effective. We can't keep up with them scoring wise if the D plays like they did the first 3 games.
Old 10-12-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think this game is on the defense. If they can't get off the field, Carr nor anyone else on offense will be effective. We can't keep up with them scoring wise if the D plays like they did the first 3 games.
and if we continue to play like we have offensively for the last 4 games, scoring on 3 of 7 possessions, or 3 of 8........ no way we can match them in points, regardless what the defense does.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You want to dictate how they play their game.
If you're a good team, you can do that. But we are simply not a good team right now.

We only do one thing good - passing the ball. Our running game is weak, at best. And our defense has yet to play well against a solid team this year (sorry, Miami is in a sorrier state that we are and cannot be considered a 'solid team' at the moment).

Lombardisms only apply when you've got something to work with. Right now, our team is definitely a "work in progress", no matter how you slice and dice it.
Old 10-12-2006   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you listen to Kubiak talk is all he says is that you can't do this and you can't do that against Dallas. Have they already dictated what we can do? I'm sorry, but I'm more of the Lombardi type in that you do what you do best and make the other team prove they can stop it. If we run the plays the way we are suppose to - No i didn't use the word - you should be able to make them work.

I, remember the days of Wooden and basketball, he simply did not scout the other teams. He played his game and said "bring it on". I'm not saying don't be aware of strengths and weaknesses, but you have to play your game and do what you do best. You can't let the other team dictate the way you play your game. You want to dictate how they play their game.
No, He's just trying to give them their props without giving them any bulletin board material. As for the wooden reference, yeah that works when you've got superior talent, which the texans do not. But at the same time, Any given Sunday. yeah it's a cliche, but it's true. How many people thought what you're saying about Ten/Indy this past weekend? 2002 Texans/Cowboys? or even Pats/Rams in the superbowl?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

We just need to execute.
Old 10-12-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give us a real chance to win the game if it were being played here in
Reliant Stadium. But not up in Texas Stadium in Irving. Get real ! We are a
brutal, brutal road team playing in a tough environment agaisnt a team that has superior personel. Just hope we don't incur any serious injuries.
I give us a chance a week from Sunday in Reliant against the Jags. But not this Sunday. Get real !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
No, He's just trying to give them their props without giving them any bulletin board material. As for the wooden reference, yeah that works when you've got superior talent, which the texans do not. But at the same time, Any given Sunday. yeah it's a cliche, but it's true. How many people thought what you're saying about Ten/Indy this past weekend? 2002 Texans/Cowboys? or even Pats/Rams in the superbowl?
Thank you for sparing me the time to reply to that.
Old 10-12-2006   #13
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
If you listen to Kubiak talk is all he says is that you can't do this and you can't do that against Dallas. Have they already dictated what we can do?
He's just pulling a Lou Holtz. If you remember Lou, every team he ever played was as good as the '71 Huskers. Kubes is just over-complementing Dallas so's not to give them bulletin board material.
Old 10-12-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
We are a
brutal, brutal road team
Where does this stuff come from? We have been a brutal team period. Over the 1st three seasons the Texans' wins came exactly 50% at home and 50% on the road. Last year a whopping 100% were at home for both wins. Otherwise there is no great distinction in the Texans home vs. away record.
Old 10-12-2006   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I would give us a real chance to win the game if it were being played here in
Reliant Stadium. But not up in Texas Stadium in Irving. Get real ! We are a
brutal, brutal road team playing in a tough environment agaisnt a team that has superior personel. Just hope we don't incur any serious injuries.
I give us a chance a week from Sunday in Reliant against the Jags. But not this Sunday. Get real !
You get real. I prefer to live in a fantasy world where the Texans aren't on a 5th straight year of building.(Notice I said building and not rebuilding, have to have something built first.) McClain was right about something yesterday, if the Texans can pull off a victory we should be able to take that momentum into next weeks game and beat the Jags, getting us right back into the season for any kind of playoff race at 3-3.

This game is bigger than just Cowboys and Texans, its the swing point in the season, we win, we are still alive. We lose, we are jockeying for position in next years draft.

This game is squarely on Carr's shoulders. He has to know that, he has to except the fact we will not have a running game to support him and he needs to be the franchise QB many of us have defended and even argued over.

I will also disagree that if we lose this game we still have a chance next week to win. We lose this game and we may not win another game until we play the Raiders, or worse, Cleveland.

Any given Sunday.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas probably has already won. I think the bigger question is how many more games the Texans are going to win for the remainder of the season? It's reasonable that it could be zero.

They should win at least four more games coming from playing the Titans twice, Bills, Raiders, Browns, or Jets. Those are the games I am really going to be looking at for improvement and does this squad have what it takes as a team to win games that have a reasonable shot at winning.

Back to the Dallas game, you can put all the pressure on the defense, but the offense is only good for about 17 points regardless of what the defense does. I think the better the defense plays and holds an opponent to a lower score, you are going to see a lot more pressure by defenses on the Texans offense. Let's remember this, this is an offense that didn't run the two minute drill in the second half against Miami and couldn't sustain a drive in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left to preserve a lead. Not to mention only had 3 points through 3 quarters of play in the Miami game. That is not a good sign. The offense will have a good drive or two in a game and that is it.

Look at it this way, if the defense stops only two drives a game, they played lousy. Some of you guys are saying that an offense having only two drives a game is great, I say that by the way some people are talking about Carr's performance the first 4 games. It doesn't make sense. Both sides of the ball need to play an entire four quarters. Probably only the defense has played an entire 4 quarters this year against the Dolphins, but their offense is pretty bad which makes that analysis suspect.

Bottom line, the offensive and defensive sides of the ball are not doing either side any favors.

I have said this many times, I am skeptical of the offense and mortified by the defense.

I hope the Dallas game is close and low scoring, because I want to see how this offense performs and if the passing game is really as good as some people think it is.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #17
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I dunno, I haven't heard what Kubiak was talking about. However adjusting to the other team while we are in a re-structuring mode is no good. I mean we did that with Indy and look what that got us. We gotta be able to be efficient with what we do and we gain confidence by seeing what we do work. If you change your gameplan noticeably every week how can you expect your players to become confident. Your basically telling them they can't do there job so we're gonna try to compensate by changing your job. I know Kubiak is trying his best to do well, but sometimes you just gotta question some of his tactics. Hopefully we're ready for the Cowgirls when we go there.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: Has Dallas already won?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You get real. I prefer to live in a fantasy world where the Texans aren't on a 5th straight year of building.(Notice I said building and not rebuilding, have to have something built first.) McClain was right about something yesterday, if the Texans can pull off a victory we should be able to take that momentum into next weeks game and beat the Jags, getting us right back into the season for any kind of playoff race at 3-3.
Playoffs?! Bro', seriously, drugs are bad, mmm'kay.

Our lack of defense and a running game will prevent us from even being a .500 team this year. Playoffs are simply out of the question.
Old 10-12-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Too many times a player/coach in an interview leading up to a game unknowingly says something incendiary that infuriates the opposing team and gives them something to fight for. The good coaches can give their respect to every team without belittling themselves. Coach K is doing the right thing, but as a young head coach, I think he still needs to work on his interview skills to make sure that he doesn't sound disparaging to his own team.
Old 10-12-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
we should be able to take that momentum into next weeks game and beat the Jags, getting us right back into the season for any kind of playoff race at 3-3.
So you do think the Play-offs are a possiblity this year........ shew. I thought I was the only one.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read