Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2006   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Help me out here

What is the status on the RB Taylor that is on our practice squad?

I believe I heard that he had more speed (Morency) and was a different back then the fat slow guys we have now?

Is he getting any looks in practice because I believe they were somewhat high on him to develop?
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Re: Help me out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
What is the status on the RB Taylor that is on our practice squad?

I believe I heard that he had more speed (Morency) and was a different back then the fat slow guys we have now?

Is he getting any looks in practice because I believe they were somewhat high on him to develop?
Another one of those guys Kubiak says he likes and we will see perhapes before the end of the season. Might add then vanishes from Kubiak's mind...
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #3
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldnt mind lettin this guy play, didnt play to bad in preseason, and cant really get much worse then what were at now
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

How about getting Lunduy out there again? He is stil a rookie, just like DeMeco and Mario, so he shouldnt be expected to produce immediately, maybe the game has slowed down for him a little?
Old 10-12-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
How about getting Lunduy out there again?
I would rate Lundy as the "least" impressive player to take a handoff I've seen
this year on the Texans roster. I'm still puzzled about his retention and dropping Taylor from the active roster ?
I dunno, but they seem to be going back and forth on some of these players,
especially the backs. He's had weeks, months to observe these guys in person.
Guess it's a good indication of what a turkey shoot the college Draft can be, when the HC picks a guy based stricly upon his impression of the player on film from his college days.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I find the whole running back/fullback situation confusing right now. Does anyone think bringing in another FB will improve our running game significantly? I don't think it will help our passing either.

If they want to mix-up/improve the backfield, I'd try moving Dayne to FB and Lundy to RB. Dayne seems closer to a poor blocking FB than to a good running RB to me.
Old 10-12-2006   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the problem with Lundy and Taylor experiments is that it would be at the expense of pass protection- something they're actually pretty determined to improve. They can't plug in those guys and trust them to pick up the blitzes and execute the chips on DEs, etc... I think that is why we won't see much of them this year. Our only hope for a decent running game is Gado. Hopefully he picks the offense up and plays well.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2006   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

For a coach that was considered a QB/RB 'guru,' Kubiak is sure leaving a lot to the 'imagination.' Too, we know now that-except for QB-Gary is a big proponent of the 'musical chair' concept of player rotation.

To say the least-assuming Kubiak is the answer to our prayers-it is going to be interesting to watch these 'concepts' transform us into a winning team.

If I had a clue on what direction to go with it, I'd mention something about effective player evaluation, or lack there of...what an 'interesting' season this is turning out to be--good or bad or somewhere in between, we shall see... :brickwall
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I find the whole running back/fullback situation confusing right now. Does anyone think bringing in another FB will improve our running game significantly? I don't think it will help our passing either.

If they want to mix-up/improve the backfield, I'd try moving Dayne to FB and Lundy to RB. Dayne seems closer to a poor blocking FB than to a good running RB to me.
Such is Kubiak's style. I just put my blind trust into our new coaching staff and smile when I see David's passer rating. Hopefully the running game will activate soon.
Old 10-12-2006   #10
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Call me crazy, but the I think key to making our running backs look good is improving the OL. Even I can run through a hole 2 yards wide.

Even the best running backs can't be expected to break a tackle in the backfield or squeeze through 6 inch seam in the zone blocking on every play.
Old 10-12-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I find the whole running back/fullback situation confusing right now.
I dunno, maybe its just my paranoia flaring up again, but I sense a struggle
for control of the offense, or atleast control of offensive philosophies ?
Sherman is of course an X NFL HC, and he's gotta have a lot of infleuence
upon managing the offense himself. Who knows, per his contract with the Texans he may have vested power that we aren't aware of ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Call me crazy, but the I think key to making our running backs look good is improving the OL. Even I can run through a hole 2 yards wide.

Even the best running backs can't be expected to break a tackle in the backfield or squeeze through 6 inch seam in the zone blocking on every play.
There have been holes...
Old 10-12-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I hope not - that is what led to this crash and burn. I don't want to see it again.
Old 10-12-2006   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think it is more of a LOFT problem than a coaching conflict.
Old 10-12-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
For a coach that was considered a QB/RB 'guru,' Kubiak is sure leaving a lot to the 'imagination.' Too, we know now that-except for QB-Gary is a big proponent of the 'musical chair' concept of player rotation.

To say the least-assuming Kubiak is the answer to our prayers-it is going to be interesting to watch these 'concepts' transform us into a winning team.

If I had a clue on what direction to go with it, I'd mention something about effective player evaluation, or lack there of...what an 'interesting' season this is turning out to be--good or bad or somewhere in between, we shall see... :brickwall
I know it's hard to believe, so many of the faces look the same, but we are a new team, and we are going to do things a new way. The first Qtr of the season is over, and GK has seen what HIS team can do against the NFL. He's tried different backs, different recievers, at every position, he's had different players in different situations. We've seen Some decisions that appear to already be made...... Demeco will start the rest of the season, maybe at MLB. David ain't going no where(& Sage is a great teammate), AJ is the #1, Owen is our TE, etc.....

I'm surprised we haven't seen Winston in a game yet..... If Ephraim & Wiegart don't play a much better game than they have, and Eric still doesn't see the field against Dallas, then we won't see him (barring another injury, and still that's no gaurantee) this year.

I'm hoping he's setteled on a defensive line by now, and LBs. I think we can assume (I know) that our DBs are pretty much what we are going to have to work with for the rest of the year.

My point.... thinking our starting line up was set in stone before this point in the season wasn't very realistic.

I'm really happy, that Kubiak is willing to admit a mistake was made, in letting Norris go, which is basically what picking up Leach is doing. I'm happy he gave Joppru an honest shot at making the team( I think it was honest)..... I'm glad he went out and Got RonDayne...... I'd have been just as happy, if he'd have gone & got Gado, I don't think we needed to deplete our youth, to get two experienced guys, but hey, they don't pay me to make these calls.

In the next four weeks, we should see more tweaking of the Offense, and Deffense, In November, we'll start to play some real football, and by December, if we are in the hunt for a wildcard...... or even the division, we'll be ready to make a push.

I know this may not have a lot of relevance, but when I coach my daughter's Basketball team, the first few weeks of practice, and the first few weeks of the season, I'm trying to figure out who we are, what kind of players do I have, what can we do, what we can't do, and what we probably shouldn't even try. Then I've got to get them to learn how to play with each other, and then we can start trying to win games.

We always win a few games on the way, but that's because there is such a high turnover in this league, in The NFL, that isn't a luxury. But crossing a team like the Dolphins early in the season helps.

If we beat the Cowboys this Sunday, that will say more about the Cowboys, than it says about us. I think it needs to be said, but that's a different story.
Jacksonville is more solid than I thought they were.

The Giants... they need to flip a switch, and turn something on or something. They look really bad, and by the time we get to play them, we might be the favorites to win......... again, saying more about the Giants than us.

Jags, Buffalo, NewYorkJets..... We should be able to win those games based on Talent, Skill, & Coaching.... we might not, those teams are just as talented, just as skilled, and just as well coached...... but the point is that we don't need to be hoping that T.O. is tearing the team up, or that ClintonPortis is Rusty, or that Daunte isn't 100% yet.....

The following Oakland & Tennessee game, we should be able to put up some big stats, and prepare for NewEngland & Indy, which we will hopefully be very competetive in.

Cleveland is in about the same predicament we are in. They've got some talent, just needs to learn how to play, and learn how to win.

uh-oh, here comes the boss, better get back to work.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

"In the next four weeks, we should see more tweaking of the Offense, and Deffense, In November, we'll start to play some real football, and by December, if we are in the hunt for a wildcard...... or even the division, we'll be ready to make a push"

Tweaking??!! That is something you do to something to make it better but-first-you have to have something better 'in place' to tweak!. We have an 'unsettled' offense and defense that is a 'carousel' of players in the line-up on a 'seconds' notice, so how do we 'tweak' that?

'...start to play some real football',,,'in the hunt for a wildcard'...TK, I sure hope you have enough 'kool-aid' for us all....
Old 10-12-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Our running game hasn't been that great so I don't see why we don't give him a shot
Old 10-12-2006   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

"Cleveland is in about the same predicament we are in."

3 of the Browns 4 losses are by a combined 14pts/less than 5 pts (touch down) a game--our 3 losses are by 48pts/16pts (2 TDs) a game....we are running out of 'easy/give me' games to win---just showing up is not going to 'cut it'
Old 10-12-2006   #19
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
There have been holes...
I agree totally, there have been holes 5 feet the from the running back trying to force an extra yard thru the pile. one cut to the right , one thru the hole and it would be a 4 to 5 yard gain instead of 2, it's happend alot this year. Dayne seen to be the best hard nose runner on the edge or in a hole, lundy can ONLY run if theres a hole, and Gado can't find the hole. on the few times Gado did find a hole he ran fan, but I think they all ran fine once they found a hole or a gap. only Dayne seems to be able to improvise and gain yards. I think Morency would have done better than Gado. He was easily our fastest back with the best agility. I guess we just get to see how it all works out and hope for the best.
Old 10-12-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
...TK, I sure hope you have enough 'kool-aid' for us all....
man I keep serving it, but nobody wants to drink it..
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read