Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2006   #1
texanGoon22
Rookie

Default Travis Johnson

I'm a texan fan from philly, so I don't get to see many games, and I was just wondering how Travis Johnson is looking this year because I really don't want to label him a bust.
texanGoon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #2
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Re: Travis Johnson

Typical TJ though somewhat improved. Seems to show a good fire. Prone to stupid penalties: good for at least one untimely encroachment a game. Plays emotionally and at times overpursues but has looked improved under the new regime IMO. Not irreplacable but sufficient.
Old 10-10-2006   #3
texanGoon22
Rookie

Better news then I expected, thanks jerek.
texanGoon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #4
jtijerina32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanGoon22 View Post
I'm a texan fan from philly, so I don't get to see many games, and I was just wondering how Travis Johnson is looking this year because I really don't want to label him a bust.
hes over weight and needs to be let go
jtijerina32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #5
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtijerina32 View Post

travis has lost weight since training camp, he looks slimmer and faster, hes a good player, that just needs time to develop
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #6
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtijerina32 View Post
TJ's actually been kicked out of workout before for dogging it in the weight room. It's a maturity issue and if he gets into better shape he could be a force for us. Again IMO he's simply sufficient for now, hasn't stuck out on the tape in my view much one way or the other, but he seems to have resppnded well to the new coaching.
Old 10-10-2006   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Dude needs a new haircut. His current one is looking kinda Mickey Mouse. I wish I had a link, but what I saw was on television.
Old 10-10-2006   #8
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point he's a better comedian than a football player. Which should say pretty much everything about him.
Old 10-10-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

He wasn't worth a first round pick, IMO.

The jury is still out on him, as far as I'm concerned. He's far from doing anything to impress me at this point.
Old 10-10-2006   #10
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He wasn't worth a first round pick, IMO.

The jury is still out on him, as far as I'm concerned. He's far from doing anything to impress me at this point.

I have not seen anything from TJ. I do not think he will be much .
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #11
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I count TJ as a rookie, even though he's a second year player.

He should never have been in a 3-4 system, and trying to cram him in one for a year regressed him some. I'll bet he takes off at some point late in the year and has a great career.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like 'im. Sticks up for his teammates and worked his way out of the cellar/doghouse.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #13
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I like 'im. Sticks up for his teammates and worked his way out of the cellar/doghouse.
yeah he needs to be more serious on the conditioning side, but what I've seen on the field, he doesnt lack effort or heart. he just seems like a big kid to me, and once he settles into his role he will be solid.
Old 10-11-2006   #14
bdizzle
noob

I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it. Is that a fact or did you just hear about it and continued to pass on bad info? Travis is in much better shape than the initial training camp. He is not over weight...first, can a Defensive Tackle be overweight, lol. I believe he is around 300. Now, if you look at the last game, Travis was double teamed almost every play. Go back, pull out the tivo and look at the sack that Payne got...Travis was doubled. Look at the majority of the plays that he was in there, and you will see that Travis was doubled, and when he beat the double, there was a third waiting. I will agree that he could prolly be in a tad better shape, but you try taking your 300lbs against 630+ and see how tired you get. It is funny how a lot you tend to knock players when you don't really see how the game works. Give him credit where credit is due. Most DT get their sacks when there is an outside pass rush, along with an incredible blitzing scheme. But to get sacks where two big guys are blocking you is asking alot for a second year player. But, to tie up two players while your other guys have one on one and can make plays, is part of his job. I'll bet not one of the other defensive lineman will complain.
bdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 52248 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it.
I would say that this probably happened based solely on Jerek's statement. While I frequently argue with him about interpretations and conclusions, I doubt he'd make a simple fact up.
Old 10-11-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like Travis transition to a solid NFL DT is in process, his desire (maturity) to keep improving will be key in his development, physical attributes are adequate.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01 View Post
I count TJ as a rookie, even though he's a second year player.

He should never have been in a 3-4 system, and trying to cram him in one for a year regressed him some. I'll bet he takes off at some point late in the year and has a great career.
I really don't see how any of our DLinemen are going to get any better, any time soon.

How do they work out in practice?? Is there a first team??

They switch them around so much, they don't have a chance to settle in, or work on any one on one match-ups.

I understand rotating the D-Line to keep them fresh, but c'mon...... we need to find a starting line, and let them get most of the snaps.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it. Is that a fact or did you just hear about it and continued to pass on bad info? Travis is in much better shape than the initial training camp. He is not over weight...first, can a Defensive Tackle be overweight, lol. I believe he is around 300. Now, if you look at the last game, Travis was double teamed almost every play. Go back, pull out the tivo and look at the sack that Payne got...Travis was doubled. Look at the majority of the plays that he was in there, and you will see that Travis was doubled, and when he beat the double, there was a third waiting. I will agree that he could prolly be in a tad better shape, but you try taking your 300lbs against 630+ and see how tired you get. It is funny how a lot you tend to knock players when you don't really see how the game works. Give him credit where credit is due. Most DT get their sacks when there is an outside pass rush, along with an incredible blitzing scheme. But to get sacks where two big guys are blocking you is asking alot for a second year player. But, to tie up two players while your other guys have one on one and can make plays, is part of his job. I'll bet not one of the other defensive lineman will complain.
Appreciate the schtick about knowing how the game works. I agree with most of your assessment.

My reference to TJ being kicked out occurred last year. I didn't make it up, and I don't reveal my sources. You can take it FWIW to you but I speculate by your post history that you haven't been here long. If I'm not sure about my sources or the quality of their information, I'll say as much. I know he got kicked out last year at least once and I've heard that the team strength and conditioning staff has previously said that he was in absolutely laughable condition for a young 20-something defensive lineman.

My understanding (as I noted previously) is that he is responding well to the new coaching so far this year, and I think he is improving, but he isn't irreplacable at this point.
Old 10-11-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]] View Post
To tell the truth, the TJ that was able to create alot of pressure in the preseason is all but gone.

Payne and him are both worthless at this moment I would like to get more penetration from the inside, but of course none of that is happening because they both get stone walled on the line by ONE GUY! Gaping holes allover the place
I wouldn't say they are worthless. They do OK, against the run. I think they'd do better if we didn't move/subsitute as often as we do, just like our DEs...
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't say they are worthless. They do OK, against the run. I think they'd do better if we didn't move/subsitute as often as we do, just like our DEs...
Philly does it with much success. I believe they rotate thier whole D-line in and out. Why can they do it and we can't?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read