Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A little dose of reality on the Texans' schedule

"The Texans began with three of their first four games at home. Now they have to play six of eight on the road, beginning at Dallas on Oct. 15.
During that upcoming stretch, the Texans play two home games against the Jaguars (Oct. 22) and the Bills (Nov. 19).
After the Jacksonville game, they play three consecutive road games against Tennessee, the New York Giants and Jacksonville"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4242362.html
We've got a lot of goofey people on the Board who like to flap their gums
and say silly things like the Texans might have a .500 season. Then theres
the ones who are smoking the really good stuff who say we will be in the
playoffs this year. Right !
Here's a little dose of reality from Hollywood McClain about just how tough
our schedule is, because its only getting tougher with this long string of
mostly road games. Don't forget, against good teams, we stunk it up and
were not even competitive. It took the Dolphins to play down to our level and
give us a chance.
Many of us predicted we'd be fortunate to have a single win thru the Cowboys game. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the best case scenerio has
happened.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #2
texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
Rookie

Default Re: A little dose of reality on the Texans' schedule

Well, they should beat Tennessee, but other than that I see a bunch of losses. Realistically, this looks like it's going to be a 3-13 kind of year. It's going to take some time for Kubiak to put this thing together the way he wants it.
texan_fan_in_tampa_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you suggesting a 1-15 season?
Old 10-07-2006   #4
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"The Texans began with three of their first four games at home. Now they have to play six of eight on the road, beginning at Dallas on Oct. 15.
During that upcoming stretch, the Texans play two home games against the Jaguars (Oct. 22) and the Bills (Nov. 19).
After the Jacksonville game, they play three consecutive road games against Tennessee, the New York Giants and Jacksonville"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4242362.html
We've got a lot of goofey people on the Board who like to flap their gums
and say silly things like the Texans might have a .500 season. Then theres
the ones who are smoking the really good stuff who say we will be in the
playoffs this year. Right !
Here's a little dose of reality from Hollywood McClain about just how tough
our schedule is, because its only getting tougher with this long string of
mostly road games. Don't forget, against good teams, we stunk it up and
were not even competitive. It took the Dolphins to play down to our level and
give us a chance.
Many of us predicted we'd be fortunate to have a single win thru the Cowboys game. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the best case scenerio has
happened.
And?
Old 10-07-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaborn-Texasbred View Post
And?
Yea.... I'm waiting for the punchline here myself.

I am still predicting a 7-9. We can get 6 more wins.
Old 10-07-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Well, I admit, I was hoping for a little more drama in Philly, & Indy, Philly still getting over T.O., and Peyton & Dungy still trying decide who runs that team. I saw opportunities to steal some early wins. But alas, it didn't go my way.

Washington, & Miami, I didn't beleive they were as good as people were saying(still don't).

Gameplanning, playcalling, and dumb mistakes killed us in our first 4 games.

We had the opportunity to keep those games close, but our offense stuttered, and our Defenses made mistakes against the best in the league.

if we'd have played perfect football, we could have won all those games.

I know it's pretty silly to expect any team, especially one as young as ours, to play perfect football, but to not expect us to get better as the year goes on??

Dallas, we'll more than likely loose that one. I expect Kubiak to make several changes, personnell(??) wise, play selection, strategies, and maybe even our offensive philosophy.... who knows?? & Dallas won't play around.

But Jacksonville?? their no better than Miami.... there defense is tough, but their offense is spotty..... who knows how they'll play?? Good one game, blah... the next. I still beleive we will sweep them.

Tenessee?? Just like we were the get-well-pill for Washington, Tennessee is going to really help our season.

When it's all said and done, I believe we'll end up with a better record than NYG....
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_fan_in_tampa_bay View Post
Realistically, this looks like it's going to be a 3-13 kind of year.
Unless a team emerges from the bye week that is substantially different than the one that played the first 4 games, I would say that's telling it like it is.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are the only team in the league that have a stretch of 6 of 8 on the road along with having a stretch of 3 games in a row on the road.

It's not cool for the team, and it is uncool for the fans.

That being said, I think it is a little hard to say what kinda team the Texans are. They have played the 4th hardest schedule in the league so far while trying to implement a new scheme and incorporating a buncha new players.

The Dolphins are not a good team, but their defense is pretty good.

Last year, the offense spun further outta control because the Pendry stuff was a complete joke.

Do the Texans get better as the season progresses? Do they come together as a team on the road, or do they stink? Preseason, they looked better on the road. Yeah, they looked terrible in Indy, but they wouldn't be the only team that has stunk it up there.
Old 10-07-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll see what they're made of during the next 8. Sometimes teams are 'made' during times like this. No sense in whining about the schedule. It is what it is. They should beat TN and Oak. If they can steal another one somewhere and go 3-5 during the stretch and be sitting at 4-8 after 12. Then take out TN and Cleve over the last 4 to finish 6-10 ... that looks about right. I said 7-9 before the season started.

I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level. They aren't a good team right now. Their offensive line is terrible and Culpepper is shell of his former self -- probably trying to come back just a bit soon from his seriously ripped up knee.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level.
Why, I heard John McClain say at the beginning of the year that Miami was going to represent the AFC in the SB this year. And I believe everything McClain says. Don't you ?
Old 10-07-2006   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why, I heard John McClain say at the beginning of the year that Miami was going to represent the AFC in the SB this year. And I believe everything McClain says. Don't you ?
Well you can't just pick on McClain for this. A lot of people thought the Dolphins would be an upper-echelon team this season, especially after winning their final six games last year to finish 9-7. So it's not like John McClain chose the Cleveland Browns to go to the Super Bowl. It was a reasonable pick at the time he said it.

As for our schedule, yes having 6 out of 8 games on the road sucks, but I think the hardest part of the schedule is over with. We always seems to play Jacksonville tough regardless of the records. The New York Giants don't seem to be playing very well and may be the worst team in the NFC East. The Jets and Bills are much better than last season, but they aren't as good as Washington or Indianopolis.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
We'll see what they're made of during the next 8. Sometimes teams are 'made' during times like this. No sense in whining about the schedule. It is what it is. They should beat TN and Oak. If they can steal another one somewhere and go 3-5 during the stretch and be sitting at 4-8 after 12. Then take out TN and Cleve over the last 4 to finish 6-10 ... that looks about right. I said 7-9 before the season started.

I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level. They aren't a good team right now. Their offensive line is terrible and Culpepper is shell of his former self -- probably trying to come back just a bit soon from his seriously ripped up knee.
I would be very happy with 6-10, even if some of the 10 were pretty bad games. I think that Carr, Johnson and the offense would have to continue to improve and that the defense won't be the worst one in the league for us to accomplish this.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #13
Big J
Rookie

I was going to post something the other day describing the exact same thing this post is getting at.

Essentially, this message board is more volatile then a junk bonds market. When we lost our first 3 games all I saw was depression, misery, and the feelings of a lost cause. The people saying we could go 13-3, 12-4, etc. were no where to be found. Then we beat Miami, who has only beaten Tenn. in a close one, and the incredibly retarded optimist pop back into the picture.

Look, I see myself as a realist. If we finish with a pick above #8 i will be suprised. No we shouldnt finish last, but come on people.

Look at this season as a way for our many rookies to gain experience and form a great foundation for the years to come. Mario I am not totally sold on but he should develop eventually, DeMeco is going to be a pro-bowler some day, and the others show promise.

Please dont judge our team on such a small amount of games. We played some real good teams and a real ****ty one. Lets wait and see how we fare against cleveland, oakland, and tenn.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #14
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

While having 6 out of 8 games on the road seems brutal they are not exactly against SB contenders. Tenn, NYJ, and Oakland are all very winnable games. Throw in the Buffalo home game, the Tenn home game, and the season finale in Reliant against the Browns and I think we build some considerable momentum for a strong 2007 campaign.

I'm sticking with my 6-10 prediction.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
I was going to post something the other day describing the exact same thing this post is getting at.

Essentially, this message board is more volatile then a junk bonds market. When we lost our first 3 games all I saw was depression, misery, and the feelings of a lost cause. The people saying we could go 13-3, 12-4, etc. were no where to be found. Then we beat Miami, who has only beaten Tenn. in a close one, and the incredibly retarded optimist pop back into the picture.
look here Mr. 27 posts... I predicted us going 13-3 before the season started, and I'm staying with my prediction. I was here after every loss, and I'm still here after the win, saying the same thing.

I'm a realist. I can't imagine our coach telling our team to forget about winning more than 5 games. to go out there, and do your best, but don't get excited if we don't win. I'd be disappointed if after a loss, the guys on our team are slapping each other on the ass, saying, "Don't worry man, we aren't a very good team. We weren't supposed to win that one anyway."

If that's the way they feel, then we need to get rid of everyone of them, and hold try-outs in the parking lot.

I'm a realist. I understand that we have talent on this team, and we've got smart guys holding the clipboards. They believe we can win every game, we should as well.

We are young, no doubt, we've got a lot of learning to do, I get that. & we are going to make mistakes that will cost us some games. I'm okay with that. I know we won't win out, that is unrealistic, but I believe we can win everyone. To not think so would be insane.

If after a game, Kubiak comes to the Podium, and says, "Well, just like Big J said, we don't have much of a team, no talent, and our coaches just don't get it. There was no reason to believe we'd win. We're only out here working on next season" Then I'd guit rooting for the Texans, and so should you.

The locker room IMHO, should have these same ups and downs that we have on this MB. That's sports, that's the way it goes. A good coach fires them up at the beginning of the season. A good coach has them believing they can go 16-0. A good team is disappointed, downright mad, when they lose one. A good coach picks them up, and makes them believe they can & will win the next one.

Did you just call me retarded??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Please dont judge our team on such a small amount of games. We played some real good teams and a real ****ty one. Lets wait and see how we fare against cleveland, oakland, and tenn.
STill, you're looking at it all wrong. We've gotten better each game, on both sides of the ball. It's hard to see, when you start off with McNabb, then Peyton, then ClintonPortis...... but we've done little things more right after each game.

Dallas is going to look like Miami..... since we will be making more changes, hopefully solidifying our offensive & defensive lines. If we win, and I think we will, it will be on emotion.

Jacksonville, will be the first game that we'll see our team, and from then on, watch out.

We've got all the right pieces, and we've got a young but talented coaching staff.

we'll have a very good football team before the season is over, and will win a bunch of games along the way.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
look here Mr. 27 posts... I predicted us going 13-3 before the season started, and I'm staying with my prediction. I was here after every loss, and I'm still here after the win, saying the same thing.

I'm a realist. I can't imagine our coach telling our team to forget about winning more than 5 games. to go out there, and do your best, but don't get excited if we don't win. I'd be disappointed if after a loss, the guys on our team are slapping each other on the ass, saying, "Don't worry man, we aren't a very good team. We weren't supposed to win that one anyway."

If that's the way they feel, then we need to get rid of everyone of them, and hold try-outs in the parking lot.

I'm a realist. I understand that we have talent on this team, and we've got smart guys holding the clipboards. They believe we can win every game, we should as well.

We are young, no doubt, we've got a lot of learning to do, I get that. & we are going to make mistakes that will cost us some games. I'm okay with that. I know we won't win out, that is unrealistic, but I believe we can win everyone. To not think so would be insane.

If after a game, Kubiak comes to the Podium, and says, "Well, just like Big J said, we don't have much of a team, no talent, and our coaches just don't get it. There was no reason to believe we'd win. We're only out here working on next season" Then I'd guit rooting for the Texans, and so should you.

The locker room IMHO, should have these same ups and downs that we have on this MB. That's sports, that's the way it goes. A good coach fires them up at the beginning of the season. A good coach has them believing they can go 16-0. A good team is disappointed, downright mad, when they lose one. A good coach picks them up, and makes them believe they can & will win the next one.

STill, you're looking at it all wrong. We've gotten better each game, on both sides of the ball. It's hard to see, when you start off with McNabb, then Peyton, then ClintonPortis...... but we've done little things more right after each game.

Dallas is going to look like Miami..... since we will be making more changes, hopefully solidifying our offensive & defensive lines. If we win, and I think we will, it will be on emotion.

Jacksonville, will be the first game that we'll see our team, and from then on, watch out.

We've got all the right pieces, and we've got a young but talented coaching staff.

we'll have a very good football team before the season is over, and will win a bunch of games along the way.
what he said.......
Old 10-08-2006   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

wait... so we're playing jacksonville 9 times?
Old 10-08-2006   #18
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

13-3, a realist?

Get real.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats the point ofthis again?
Old 10-08-2006   #20
Big J
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

First of all, wow. Just because you have 3000+ replies does not mean I should listen to your all knowing understanding of the Texans or give you an ounce of credibility.

Second, we are both Texans fans. Do I expect Kubiak to just quit trying and say forget this season? Hell no. Do I think we are a strong football team right now? No. Will we improve? Clearly we will. But I still dont think it will be enough improvement to beat some teams on our schedule that you think we can beat.

I could be wrong and by all means I hope your prediction is right. But I highly doubt it and to win the rest of the games is incredibly unlikely. But hey watching the Titans right now, anything can happen.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read