Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-06-2006   #1
ASTRODOME2002
Rookie

Default Adrian Peterson

Perhaps the Texans passed on Reggie Bush knowing that Peterson would be available in next years draft. Peterson is a bigger and more durable back than Bush and should be able to carry the rock 15 to 20 times per game. Bush, on the other hand, is more of a pass receiver than a running back. Bush is looking more like Eric Metcalf every passing day.
ASTRODOME2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Adrian Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRODOME2002 View Post
Perhaps the Texans passed on Reggie Bush knowing that Peterson would be available in next years draft.
Perhaps they passed on Reggie thinking they had enough to trade up for Maroney/Williams??

just maybe.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #3
Holden135
Veteran

Im not a big fan of Peterson with the Texans. In this day and age running backs have short careers. They take a lot of pounding and break down after only a few years. Peterson is in his third year of being a feature back at Oklahoma. He will have a lot of mileage on him once he comes to the nfl. I don't see him producing for too long in the nfl. Plus he has already had injury problems in college.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #4
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 10 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

Hopefully were not in a position to draft him

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135 View Post
Im not a big fan of Peterson with the Texans. In this day and age running backs have short careers. They take a lot of pounding and break down after only a few years. Peterson is in his third year of being a feature back at Oklahoma. He will have a lot of mileage on him once he comes to the nfl. I don't see him producing for too long in the nfl. Plus he has already had injury problems in college.
You obviously haven't watched him play or Ok. play.

He does not play a lot when the game is out of hand. He also has recorded recently a 4.3 40, and jumping onto a 36in. high box while holding a 45lb weight in each hand. Simply put, he is an athletic freak who's body is not "breaking down". He had an injury last year, he's over it. He is going to be good in the NFL. Not many rookie RB's have the ability to truely run over you or around you. He does.
Old 10-06-2006   #6
Frills
Veteran

The injury bug from last year was a high ankle sprain which he kept trying to play through. At least he's willing to try to play versus a RB who won't play till he feels 100%...after being told his knee will never feel the way it once did
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like AP but, #1 i don't think that we will be high enough to get him in the draft, #2 I do worry about the "tread on the tires" so to speak b/c he does take a pounding & #3 do you think that our coach would take him that high considering their position on drafting RB's?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2006   #8
Holden135
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
You obviously haven't watched him play or Ok. play.

He does not play a lot when the game is out of hand. He also has recorded recently a 4.3 40, and jumping onto a 36in. high box while holding a 45lb weight in each hand. Simply put, he is an athletic freak who's body is not "breaking down". He had an injury last year, he's over it. He is going to be good in the NFL. Not many rookie RB's have the ability to truely run over you or around you. He does.
Im not saying he is breaking down now. I am saying he will break down early in his NFL career. D.D. didn't break down in college, but he sure is breaking down now. The more wear and tear on the players body the more it will affect him later down the road. I wouldn't like drafting a player with a top 3 pick (although i don't think we will have a pick that high) that has the wear and tear that Adrian does. He already had a significant shoulder injury his freshman year to go along with the ankle sprain from last year. Now he is in BIG 12 play. Even though it's not what it was 5 years ago, the teams still hate each other. He will have a target on his back for the rest of the season. I would put my money on the fact that he will have another injury this season that slows him down.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

peterson isn't a 4.3 guy, so don't even bother with that stat.

also, marshawn lynch is a better back.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #10
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
peterson isn't a 4.3 guy, so don't even bother with that stat.

also, marshawn lynch is a better back.
AP finished second in the State in the 100m behind Ivory Williams with a 10.33 in 2003, so he has the speed. I wouldn't be suprised if he ran a high 4.3 but a low 4.4 is probably more realistic.
Old 10-06-2006   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Where's the proof he's more durable than Bush? He's missed more games in college the past two seasons than Bush did in 3.

I'm not sold on him having 4.3 speed but I'm definitely sold on it not mattering. The DLs and LBs that will be chasing him aren't running 4.3s so why does he need to?

Or is everybody falling back on the two misconceptions of:

1. Bigger = more durable
2. 4.3 forty = great player

BTW, Laurence Maroney ran between a 4.47 and 4.49 forty at his pro day. WHEW, good thing the Texans didn't have an opportunity to draft that bust!!!
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

AP could be great. Look at his clips. He does everything a RB should do. Bush had the speed. Ap has speed and power.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Where's the proof he's more durable than Bush? He's missed more games in college the past two seasons than Bush did in 3.

I'm not sold on him having 4.3 speed but I'm definitely sold on it not mattering. The DLs and LBs that will be chasing him aren't running 4.3s so why does he need to?

1. Bigger = more durable

BTW, Laurence Maroney ran between a 4.47 and 4.49 forty at his pro day. WHEW, good thing the Texans didn't have an opportunity to draft that bust!!!
runningback is probably the position player where speed matters the least. quick decision-making and reflexes are the most important. obviously you don't want a 4.9 guy out there, but a 4.3 guy or a 4.6 guy....whatever. as long as they know what to do.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

don't tease me
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #15
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135 View Post
That's just wrong. I don't get how you could even say this. Records are made by someone all the time and they are made to be broken. Because someone has a great college career, doesn't mean they have been rode hard and put up wet. That is like saying a QB that has record stats won't last long in the NFL because his arm will soon be tired from throwing so many passes in college. These are young kids who are athletic and have a God given talent. We do not pass on the chance to get someone with that gift...
Old 10-06-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed.. I mean if that was the case why would Ricky Williams and Ron Dayne be still in the NFL... and heck..Tony Hollings (injury and all) ..well will leave that alone.
Old 10-06-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Agreed.. I mean if that was the case why would Ricky Williams and Ron Dayne be still in the NFL... and heck..Tony Hollings (injury and all) ..well will leave that alone.
funny thing about Ricky, he never so much had an ingrown toe-nail at UT. Come to the NFL, and his first three seasons are injury ridden...... prompting the 1st round selection of one DueceMcCallister.... who also all of a sudden has become injury plagued. I wonder if they figured out why they can't keep people behind their offensive line healthy.

I wonder why we can't keep anyone healthy behind our OLine.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
1. Bigger = more durable
Bush, the SoCal girley-boy, couldn't run thru wrist tackles in 2 trys inside the
5 at NOLA in the big game vs Hotlanta to get a TD. Now I understand why
LenDale White was in the game and not Bush in that big play against the 'Horns in the Rose Bowl.
AD has missed a lot of games, but he takes a lot of abuse when he runs because he runs hard, somewhat remininsent of the "Tyler Rose".
Maroney is the man this year, a tremendous back who can run hard inside or
with speed and shiftiness off tackle. And I think he can also catch the ball.
He's doing in the NFL this year what Reggie Bush and his ESPN entourage had hoped Bush would do.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
funny thing about Ricky, he never so much had an ingrown toe-nail at UT. Come to the NFL, and his first three seasons are injury ridden...... prompting the 1st round selection of one DueceMcCallister.... who also all of a sudden has become injury plagued. I wonder if they figured out why they can't keep people behind their offensive line healthy.

I wonder why we can't keep anyone healthy behind our OLine.
ricky or Cedric Benson?
Old 10-06-2006   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJ1xDBT1jM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOj9YvRnm90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4albC37Rg

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read