Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2006   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will Buchanon be cut?

This is just speculation on my part. I don't think Buchanon will ever see the field as a CB again. He's being beaten out by Lewis Sanders and Dexter McCleon. Also, when Faggins returns he will be bumped down one more peg. Heck, David Carr has more tackles (1) than Buchanon does. He is basically on this team just as a PR/KR, and we also have Jerome Mathis coming back as a KR. With Faggins and Mathis back on the roster there is really no place for Buchanon. IIRC he is in the last year of his contract, so if he was cut there would be no penalty. Is that correct?

Anyways, just a brainstorm. Thoughts?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Will Buchanon be cut?

I think you're onto something, unless he started turning it up.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: Will Buchanon be cut?

There would be no cap hit to speak of since Oakland sucked up all his signing bonus in the trade. That said, I would be very disappointed in the coaching staff (this is not an endorsement of Buchanon) if they cut him in front of McCleon. Buchanon maybe can't tackle anyone (although prior to his injury this season was showing a dedication to change that) but can at least part of the time cover someone. McCleon is never going to make anything but a tackle after a reception.
Old 10-05-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

When Mathis comes back.. assuming Mathis hasnt ruined his chances with the team by his bad attitude.. Buchanan is going to be in a tough spot.

Id really really REALLY like to see Buchanan get some playing time at free saftey.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #5
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
When Mathis comes back.. assuming Mathis hasnt ruined his chances with the team by his bad attitude.. Buchanan is going to be in a tough spot.

Id really really REALLY like to see Buchanan get some playing time at free saftey.
mathis with attitude issues? enlighten me on that. im clueless
Old 10-05-2006   #6
FanFromCali
Rookie

Quote:

Not a bad thought, but I don't think he is a good enough tackler for a safety spot. He will probably get another chance somewhere else but I think his time with the Texans might be done soon as well.
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #7
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i cant see him being cut or moved to FS. that being said i have no clue as to why he has yet to see the field as a DB
Old 10-05-2006   #8
jniner
Rookie

Quote:

Free Safety??? You have to be able to tackle to play that position.
jniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He hasn't been playing because he got injured.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #10
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
mathis with attitude issues? enlighten me on that. im clueless
He got into a spiffy with some other players on the bus once. If I recall correctly, but can't remember who it was. Back in the Capers days that I have tried so hard to forget...
Old 10-05-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
He got into a spiffy with some other players on the bus once. If I recall correctly, but can't remember who it was. Back in the Capers days that I have tried so hard to forget...
He got into a fight with former Texans TE Marcellus Rivers. Then, he was late to meetings.
Old 10-05-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mathis himself may be on the bubble when he comes back, thanks to that attitude you mentioned. Be interesting to know how serious he's been with
his rehab ?
And sorry Grid, but I definitely can't see P-Burnt playing safety, where being able to tackle and hit is more important than it is at CB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

A FS is your last line of defense when someone breaks through for big yardage.. I dont think his job is necessarily to be all over the field making tackles.

A FS, besides being your last chance to stop someone, is also responsible for coverage.. lots of zone coverage.. and for jumping routes to make interceptions. Those are things that play to Buchanan's strengths.

Also, I dunno if you remember our FS from 2002, and 2003.. but he was about as effective as Buchanan at tackling..but 10x worse at coverage.. and our defense seemed to hold up alright then.

Obviously the rest of our defense isnt as good as it was in '02/'03.. but the point is that we arent going to implode if Buchanan is at free saftey.

Also, Buchanan did spend ALOT of time this offseason working on his tackling technique and showed some genuine "drive" to improve himself.

And one more thing.. how many turnovers have we made so far this season? According to the stats we have ONE.. and i dont remember it. Im willing to take a chance on Buchanan missing a tackle and giving up a TD..if it means we can increase our coverage abilities, and create more turnovers.
Old 10-05-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

and Mathis' attitude problem is that when the new staff came in, he decided that he was a pro bowler and already knew everything he needed to know. So he was being very hard headed and not taking to the WR coaching.

He seems to think that his WR ability is good enough, and that he can get by on his return abilities. Thats not gonna fly in the NFL so if he doesnt get over himself and start putting some effort into being an effective WR as well as returner, he isnt gonna be here long.
Old 10-05-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't imagine they'd cut Buchanon before he had some real playing time to show what he's got at cornerback.

Then again, I haven't been able to imagine a lot of things I've seen with the Texans in the past few years.

So my answer: I have no idea.
Old 10-05-2006   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

You forget its a new regime. They traded away Morency after Week 1. Anything is possible.
Old 10-05-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one totally agree and really wish they'd try Buchannon at FS, putting Brown at SS. I also agree with infantrycak about how not all of these new CBs are actually better than Buchannon, but I'd love to see him at FS. We need it and I just bet the interceptions would show up again. I can see DRob really gaining something from having Buchannon at FS and you all know what that can mean. Besides, Buchannon really has improved his tackling. It ain't nothing great, but it's adequate and that's a major improvement from early on last year.

I was just as ticked off at that "ole" thing last year as anyone, but we need to give credit when improvement is shown, not just always remember the bad (no matter how bad it was).

The guys has the ability to really jump on balls thrown in front of him and it wouldn't hurt to keep him as a punt returner. He IS the best punt returner we've had, although Mathis was by far the best kick returner--still Buchannon was almost as good at returning punts as Mathis was at returning kicks, so I think he should get some credit for that.

Last edited by HJam72; 10-05-2006 at 10:06 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

It's like deja vu all over again. Brown is playing badly, not Earl.
Old 10-05-2006   #19
Texans86
All Pro

Is P.Buchanon still injured enough to not see the field as a CB? He is returning kicks so I am not completely sure. Something seems strange if he is fine and still nto seeing and time. Especially with all the big plays the our DBs have given up. Hopefully we'll see some tinkering before that Dallas game.
Old 10-05-2006   #20
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

The last time we tried putting someone at FS with coverage skills but the inability to tackle was...let me see....oh yes, Marcus Coleman. Doesn't work, if your forte is coverage, you need to be at CB. Safeties need to be good tacklers as well as have the ability to cover someone. Buchanan can only do one of those tasks at a mediocre level.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read