Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-05-2006   #1
jlwevans
Rookie

Default Any Oiler Historians on here??

The other day I was talking to someone and we were talking about the Oilers. During our conversation we were trying to remember the name of a player but could not come up with it so I thought that I would check here and see if anyone remembers this guy. The guy that we are referring to is the kicker that the oilers had (for a VERY short time) in the early to mid 90s. From what I recall, he was only known for being a horrible fieldgoal kicker who missed pretty much everything that he attempted. He was fired fairly quickly and is probably more known for his reaction after being fired because of his crying like a baby in the locker room while talking to reporters. Anybody here remember this guys name?
jlwevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any Oiler Historians on here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwevans View Post
The other day I was talking to someone and we were talking about the Oilers. During our conversation we were trying to remember the name of a player but could not come up with it so I thought that I would check here and see if anyone remembers this guy. The guy that we are referring to is the kicker that the oilers had (for a VERY short time) in the early to mid 90s. From what I recall, he was only known for being a horrible fieldgoal kicker who missed pretty much everything that he attempted. He was fired fairly quickly and is probably more known for his reaction after being fired because of his crying like a baby in the locker room while talking to reporters. Anybody here remember this guys name?
Ian Howfield? Only other kickers I remember in the 90's were Tony Zendejas and Al Del Greco and both of those guys were with the Oilers a long while.
Old 10-05-2006   #3
jlwevans
Rookie

Thanks...Yeah, that is the guy. I remembered his last name started with an "H".
Old 10-05-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwevans View Post
Thanks...Yeah, that is the guy. I remembered his last name started with an "H".
Googled the guy up and this article from HoustonProFootball.com came up.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant10.html

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing I really remember about the guy is he couldn't make an extra point to save his life. That man cost us a lot of games that year. In fact I would have to classify him as a poor mans Kris Brown.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #6
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't somebody from this MB or TexansTalk get into a pissing match via e-mail with Howfield awhile back? I can't remember the details, but it was pretty funny.

***EDIT*** it was HoustonProFootball.com. If you want see just how big a loser Howfield is read this. LINK

Last edited by TD; 10-05-2006 at 05:32 PM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #7
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Rivers View Post
Didn't somebody from this MB or TexansTalk get into a pissing match via e-mail with Howfield awhile back? I can't remember the details, but it was pretty funny.

***EDIT*** it was HoustonProFootball.com. If you want see just how big a loser Howfield is read this. LINK
I laugh everytime I read that.

Howfield made some decent points, but I don't think he is over it.
Old 10-05-2006   #8
jlwevans
Rookie

yeah the dude was such a joke...he should have just been grateful that someone was willing to at least give him a chance. I still think it is funny when I recall his sitting there in the locker room balling his eyes out while talking to the reporters...Man up dude! From that article, sounds like all these years and he is still pretty immature.
Old 10-06-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I never take any pleasure from that article. I've read it a couple of times and I think it's time that it went away. Obviously the events of 1991 hurt Ian Howfield deeply. Just look at the picture that HPF used of him at the top of the page. That's a picture of a man who's just been completely crushed by what just happened.

From the words he wrote it's clear that he's nowhere near over it. I personally don't think he had the kind of thick skin that a kicker or really any player in the NFL needs in order to stick. Look at our conversations about Seth Wand and the Texans need for a LT right now. Seth was cut before the season started. he was kicked the curb and he hasn't got a job in the league right now. Many of us think the best move the Texans could make would be to bring Seth Wand in and hand him the starting job but that presumes that he's willing to come back to a team that sent him packing. We expect him to just blow off the past and step up. Maybe Wand can do that and maybe the reason he's not here right now or anyway else in the league is that he can't do it. I don't really know the answer to that. These emails from Howfield tell me he couldn't do that. He can't ignore the past.

I hope this is all off-target and he doesn't walk around depressed about something that happened 15 years ago. I hope he enjoys sales in television or whatever it is he does for a living.
Old 10-06-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I never take any pleasure from that article. I've read it a couple of times and I think it's time that it went away. Obviously the events of 1991 hurt Ian Howfield deeply. Just look at the picture that HPF used of him at the top of the page. That's a picture of a man who's just been completely crushed by what just happened.
If I had made the team then got cut I would be crying, and pissing and moaning and blubbering all over the place.

Still, if you are a kicker, and your one job is making kicks, you should at least be able to make extra points.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #11
Cruuuuuuuz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Look at our conversations about Seth Wand and the Texans need for a LT right now. Seth was cut before the season started. he was kicked the curb and he hasn't got a job in the league right now. Many of us think the best move the Texans could make would be to bring Seth Wand in and hand him the starting job but that presumes that he's willing to come back to a team that sent him packing. We expect him to just blow off the past and step up. Maybe Wand can do that and maybe the reason he's not here right now or anyway else in the league is that he can't do it. I don't really know the answer to that. These emails from Howfield tell me he couldn't do that. He can't ignore the past.
These are 2 totally different situations in 2 totally different decades of football. When i read Howfield's email i laugh, see bitterness, but see truth aswell... I hope one day he will let it go and he will believe what he wrote in the email because he prolly HAS HAD more of a fullfilling life than any of us on this messageboard....but thas the old days...

Nowadays football is a business...and IF Seth Wand got offered but refused to come back...then in the long run he shouldnt be bitter because he was offered another chance regardless of past dealings...
even if he felt he was wronged he would still be one up because he got the offer back....
to me...all the more reason to take the job, produce, and shove it in the coaches faces...to show them that THEY WERE WRONG for cuttin him in the first place.

Howfield just couldnt make FGs or extra points very well in the NFL...but shyt...neither can you or I... and its been 15 years...Houston fans should forgive him.
Cruuuuuuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #12
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. He keeps bringing up his Dad. Sounds to me like he doesn't feel like he lived up to his Dad's expectations.

He's right about Del Greco, though.

Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read