Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2004   #21
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I can't quickly put my fingers on the stat right now, but I believe that the Texans were fairly highly rated last year in red zone production. If my recollection is correct, perhaps there is reason to believe the Texans will be able to 'tweak' their scoring issues.
I think they were among the league leaders in red zone production last year. I want to say they were in the top 5 or so, but I am not certain of it.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We were better in the red zone last year, and I really think we have struggled with the new blocking scheme to some extent and we are bound to get better in this area with more experience and film study. I think most of the people who want someone fired are the guys with unrealistic playoff expectations and figured we 'should' beat teams like the Lions and the Chargers. Most still do not understand that there is no Vanderbilt in the NFL. In all levels of football there are 'haves' and 'have nots'....except in the NFL.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004   #23
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Vinny! You are beginning to think the same thing. Why don't you elaborate a little more to the rest of them about what might be happening with the line splits and how that may be impacting Carr. People are criticizing the unloading of the ball, but it might be necessary, because of the O-line blocking scheme changes. I'm not so certain its fixable. You might have some different feelings on that. I would appreciate hearing what you are thinking on this matter.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure right now Ibar. I have looked at the game and I am still not sure about the line splits and if it has any net effect on the passing game (although if I had to wager money on it I would lean that way). I remember reading or hearing something about how the splits are a bit larger then they were last year due to the new techniques that are being taught. The larger, slower linemen are the guys who would have more trouble with this. Especially a guy like Washington (he gave up one of the sacks when he came in for the injured Weigert). I even asked John McClain via 610 and I don't think he knows or just didn't answer me. Keep in mind most of our line problems are inside instead of outside. Teams with outstanding Tackles tend to give us more trouble than teams with outstanding edge rushers. Not only is our blocking scheme a new scheme but our entire left side are first time starters at their positions. Personally I don't think Carr has the best instincts in the pocket but I also think that our line has not worked well as a unit at times, but I think with better protection Carr will be able to find the more complex and longer developing routes as the season progresses. It just may take till the bye week to get enough of the mistakes on film and get the guys comfortable with the remedies.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Thanks Vinny, I just started another thread on this subject, I just think its true for a whole variety of reasons. I think it represents a big change in the offensive mind set of the team. I appreciate and respect your thoughts, but I really think its a much bigger problem than most of us realize. Particularly with Hollings out the emphasis on the run could be disasterous to us. We simply can not afford to loose DD at this stage of the game. We really don't have an effective replacement.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read