Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-02-2006   #1
TexansJunkE
Veteran

Default Williams,bush,young,or..........

With all the Mario talk about he being a bust and Reggie being the greatest player that has come out in years. What about the fact that Reggie "Bust" hasn't even scored a TD yet or rush for a hndred yards in 4 weeks. In fact Reggie Bush isn't even the best RB to have gotten drafted this year. L Maroney has had a fantastic start and has like 4 touchdowns under his belt with 100 hundred yard games. Reggie is the modern version of D. Howard, a good college back and a bust in the NFL. Mario has 1.5 sacks, what has Reggie done? TD? I wonder if ESPN has spoken bout who has been the Best Rookie RB this year. Go home ESPN!
Old 10-02-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Williams,bush,young,or..........

Interesting....... I wonder why we haven't brought up these questions before.

You sir are a true Man of Genius... Budwieser should salute you...... Mr "I started a thread covering all the things we've been covering on the board for four weeks now not including the preseason of course".........
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansJunkE View Post
With all the Mario talk about he being a bust and Reggie being the greatest player that has come out in years. What about the fact that Reggie "Bust" hasn't even scored a TD yet or rush for a hndred yards in 4 weeks. In fact Reggie Bush isn't even the best RB to have gotten drafted this year. L Maroney has had a fantastic start and has like 4 touchdowns under his belt with 100 hundred yard games. Reggie is the modern version of D. Howard, a good college back and a bust in the NFL. Mario has 1.5 sacks, what has Reggie done? TD? I wonder if ESPN has spoken bout who has been the Best Rookie RB this year. Go home ESPN!
I believe they are talking about Maroney....

Reggie is a nice reciever, even if his rushing yards aren't that great, I still think they should convert him to WR full time. M. Colsten has been the man for the Saints (Rookie-wise)!

Anyone else notice that the people we think are the candidates for ROY were drafted late 1st early 2nd?
Old 10-02-2006   #4
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

You have to be kidding me, Bush a bust? How could you spew such an outlandish claim? If anything, he's been by far the best out of Young, Williams, and Leinart..

I believe you forgot to bring up the fact he's sharing carries with a perrenial back in Deuce McAllister, and you expect him to break out a few 100-yard games? When given the opportunities for a couple of 15-carry games, he's delivered with performances of 67 and 53 yards (4.3 yrd avg), which easily surpasses the norm for yardage with such few carries. On top of this, he's been a threat in the passing game-- 52, 68, and 48 yard receiving games, which is a heckuva alot more yardage than most 2nd and 3rd string WRs get around the league. I can only imagine what Bush will be doing in a couple of years..

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

you know how ESPN is. all about the flavor of the week. right now they're calling laurence maroney the best rookie of all time and etc.,
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

STOP POSTING THE SAME TOPIC OVER AND OVER AGAIN

That is all (its just there are at least 10 topics where thishas been brought up)
Old 10-02-2006   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansJunkE View Post
What about the fact that Reggie "Bust" hasn't even scored a TD yet or rush for a hndred yards in 4 weeks...Reggie is the modern version of D. Howard, a good college back and a bust in the NFL. Mario has 1.5 sacks, what has Reggie done? TD?
Eh...I'm a Mario supporter myself, but like everyone's said in defense of Mario...you're comparing apples to oranges. Stop worrying about who's a bust and what-not and just enjoy some players who are entertaining to watch play the sport. Keep in mind this statement might come back to bite you in the butt once Reggie scores a TD (it would be naive to think he would go the whole season without scoring a single TD).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2006   #8
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

this discussion shouldne be a week to week thing. there are too many ups and down in the nfl. at least wait till the end of the season to compare the relative performances of all involved, though 2 years is really a more realistic timeframe. i mean look at someone like carson palmer, took a while to see what the bungles really had in him didnt it?
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll make one point and then I'm done with this for good. After the 1st game, "Mario sucks" and "Mario is a bust" threads started popping up all over the board.

I thought that it was ridiculous to say that a rookie actually DE "sucks" or is a "bust" at any point in his first season. Then I vented a little by trying to judge Bush by the same standard that Mario was getting judged. Then I started seeing Bush's fans make the same argument that I've been making...just for a different guy.

You know what...I was right then and the Bush fans are right now. It's way too early to say a guy "sucks" or that he's a "bust."

I never was really a Bush fan, so I was glad when we drafted the top defender on the board on April 29th. Time to let it go now.

Best of luck to the guys we didn't draft.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #10
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't Maroney play on the best football organization of the past 10 years? Wait, i can't remember...
Old 10-03-2006   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll easily agree that Bush is no bust, and that he has played better than the three of Williams, Bush, and Young, but also at an easier position than the other two.

As for Maroney, I always like him, and figured he would be a better "every down" back than Reggie.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys! View Post
You have to be kidding me, Bush a bust? How could you spew such an outlandish claim? If anything, he's been by far the best out of Young, Williams, and Leinart..

I believe you forgot to bring up the fact he's sharing carries with a perrenial back in Deuce McAllister, and you expect him to break out a few 100-yard games? When given the opportunities for a couple of 15-carry games, he's delivered with performances of 67 and 53 yards (4.3 yrd avg), which easily surpasses the norm for yardage with such few carries. On top of this, he's been a threat in the passing game-- 52, 68, and 48 yard receiving games, which is a heckuva alot more yardage than most 2nd and 3rd string WRs get around the league. I can only imagine what Bush will be doing in a couple of years..
Bush hasn't had one 15 carry game this season. And you forgot to mention his game against Green Bay where he had 6 carries for 5 yards and his game against Carolina where he had 22 yards on 11 carries. For the season he is averaging 3.3 YPC. He is averaging 6.3 yards per punt return. He is averaging 8.1 yards per catch. For a guy who was supposed to be the all around threat, running back, punt returner, and receiver he hasn't shown much. It looks New Orleans is paying him 50+ million to be a #3 WR as of right now. And the guy has 187 receiving yards, Reggie Wayne has 358, Jerricho Cotchery has 284, Moulds has 230, Terry Glenn has 229, Desmond Clark has 232, Mike Furrey has 242, Wes Welker has 222, Kellen Winslow has 228, Isaac Bruce has 320, Bernard Berrian has 316, all of these guys are #2 or #3 WR's and have put up more receiving yards, and I could keep going.

Last edited by texan279; 10-03-2006 at 12:42 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #13
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

im not going to knock on bush. he has talent...but for someone who can score anytime he touches the ball (which is 77 times this season) - he has yet to score.

i am just glad we got mario!
Old 10-03-2006   #14
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
Bush hasn't had one 15 carry game this season. And you forgot to mention his game against Green Bay where he had 6 carries for 5 yards and his game against Carolina where he had 22 yards on 11 carries.
Bush did indeed have a 15 carry game in week one versus the Browns, along with a 13-carry game in week three vs. the Falcons. I didn't forget to mention the other games, but chose not to include them since the Green Bay game he made up with a 68 yard receiving total.

Quote:
For the season he is averaging 3.3 YPC. He is averaging 6.3 yards per punt return. He is averaging 8.1 yards per catch. For a guy who was supposed to be the all around threat, running back, punt returner, and receiver he hasn't shown much. It looks New Orleans is paying him 50+ million to be a #3 WR as of right now.

If he's an extra third WR and a solid backup to Deuce, developing in the wings than that sounds like a good deal to me personally. The mere fact he's already had numbers on a few occasions in the 70s and in one instance 119, is impressive by itself. I wish I could see the same production from the Cowboy's backup Marion Barber, and I'm sure the fact that this "third WR" and backup RB has accumulated more than half of the combined total of Lundy, Dayne, and Gado, is somewhat unusual.

Quote:
And the guy has 187 receiving yards, Reggie Wayne has 358, Jerricho Cotchery has 284, Moulds has 230, Terry Glenn has 229, Desmond Clark has 232, Mike Furrey has 242, Wes Welker has 222, Kellen Winslow has 228, Isaac Bruce has 320, Bernard Berrian has 316, all of these guys are #2 or #3 WR's and have put up more receiving yards, and I could keep going.
What about those third and second string WRs like Patrick Crayton, Clayton, Lloyd, Marcus Robinson, Ferguson, Northcutt? Or even the Texan's Walters and Shepperd? (Which is the third WR?, cause I can't even tell looking at their numbers.)

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys! View Post
Bush did indeed have a 15 carry game in week one versus the Browns, along with a 13-carry game in week three vs. the Falcons. I didn't forget to mention the other games, but chose not to include them since the Green Bay game he made up with a 68 yard receiving total.

If he's an extra third WR and a solid backup to Deuce, developing in the wings than that sounds like a good deal to me personally. The mere fact he's already had numbers on a few occasions in the 70s and in one instance 119, is impressive by itself. I wish I could see the same production from the Cowboy's backup Marion Barber, and I'm sure the fact that this "third WR" and backup RB has accumulated more than half of the combined total of Lundy, Dayne, and Gado, is somewhat unusual.

What about those third and second string WRs like Patrick Crayton, Clayton, Lloyd, Marcus Robinson, Ferguson, Northcutt? Or even the Texan's Walters and Shepperd? (Which is the third WR?, cause I can't even tell looking at their numbers.)
NFL.com says Bush carried the ball 14 times against the Browns.
Old 10-03-2006   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

The best post ever!
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #17
real

Williams, Bush, Young....they were great in college....therefore they went high in the draft....teams that pick high in the draft suck.....If Williams or Bush were on the Patriots they'd be doing much more beastly things than what they are doing....they got drafted to bad teams, and all of them are being asked to do more things than the average rookie...Mario was playing all over the line, dropping into coverage...Bush was playing KR,PR,RB, WR...VY...well we know his struggles....Maroney is good and I think he is a better everydown back than Bush...But you also have to keep into perspective that he is playing on a great team....I think it's way too early to call any of these rookies Bust or Stars....
Old 10-03-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

two carries from inside the two....... and he doesn't get in.

2 touches........ inside the two......... doesn't get in....
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #19
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

In comparing apples to apples, I’ve looked up the current stats of the rookies per NFL.com. (as of Sunday)

Running Backs
1. L. Maroney (21st pick) 60 attempts for 294 yards 3 TD
2. J. Norwood (79th) 26/217 yards 1 TD
3. J. Adelai (30th) 46/207 yards 1 TD
4. R. Bush (2nd) 45/147 yards 0 TD
5. D. Williams (27th) 25/135 yards 1 TD

Linebackers
1. D. Ryan (33) 33 tackles 5 assist .5 sacks
2. E. Sims (9) 25 tackles 10 assist 0 sacks
3. AJ Hawk (5) 15 tackles 5 assist 1sack
4. M. Lawson (22) 11 tackles 1 assist 2 sacks
5. K. Ellison (178) 9 tackles 16 assist 0 sacks
6. K. Wimbley (13) 9 tackles 3 assist 3 sacks

Defensive Ends
1. Mark Anderson (159) 5 tackles 2 assist 3.5 Sacks
2. Darryl Tapp (63) 5 tackles 2 assist 2 sacks
3. Tambi Halia (28) 8 tackles 6 assist 1.5 sacks
4. Mario Williams (1) 7 tackles 3 assist 1.5 sacks
5. V. Adeyanju (113) 11 tackles 0 assist 0 sacks

So what does it all mean???

Rookies can be used differently, depending on the teams and the established coaches.

Ryan and Williams start for a “new” defense. Bush is used as a decoy and runs under a new coaching scheme. Maroney starts for a well established team. Wimbley and Lawson are converted DE. Mark Anderson plays for the Bears (top 3 Defense in NFL)

We have the best Rookie Linebacker in the NFL and the 4th best Rookie DE, up to now. The season is barely 4 games old, and there is a lot of Football left. I think the defense is starting to “get it” together and we are in for a good season.

GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!
Texans Front Row Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good gravy can we get off compairing apples to oranges yet?

There is no way to compare them since they play on different teams that are in different situations. Some teams are more complete than others, IE the ones that drafted later. Mario Bush and Young went to the 3 worst teams last year. That is the point of the draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read