Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2006   #1
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default Alittle Food for Thought

When looking back at the 3 teams the Texans faced prior to there win against Miami and looking at the way those teams played yesterday, I realize that Philly, Indy, and Washington should be in the playoffs this year if the have the same success that they have had in the early season baring injuries. Everyone (Mainstream Media sources) said that the Texans were one of the worst if not the worse team in the League but I would like to see how they can merit that statement. Let’s look at the facts. The Texans faced 3 of the top 10 passing QB’s in the League in the first three games. The Texans faced 3 of the top 5 offenses in the league in the first 3 games. David Carr looked the same last game as he did in his previous 3 games, solid not great. The difference? A defensive presence for a change. Our defensive doesn’t have to be stellar, simply be middle of the pack (18-22th is asking too much) and the Texans will have a winning season. Oh, and if we were bashing the Texans for losing to Washington like we did, I wonder what Jacksonville…..that 12-4 team is feeling right now. Plug the following teams in Texan’s schedule place for the first 4 games and think about what there record would be:

NY Jets
Carolina Panthers
St. Louis Rams
Pittsburg Steelers
Arizona Cardinals
Detroit Lions
Tennessee Titans
Buffalo Bills
Oakland Raiders
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
Green Bay
NY Giants
Minnesota
Jacksonville
Miami
Kansas City

At best 2-2 IMO. Yes we need to dramatically improve, but I get alittle PO’d when even after a win I hear, Bench David Carr or well that was Miami, we are suppose to beat them. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of people (Mainstream Media Sources) that picked Miami for the Super Bowl and the Texans to win 4 games.
Old 10-02-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Default Re: Alittle Food for Thought

Nice post!...I always said washington was a good team off to a bad start, and now by beating the jags they are back in rhythm. I feel really good about our chances of winning and at least competing the rest of the year especially against the jags and the dallas brokebacks.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #3
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree we played 3 good football teams to start the season, but to allow an almost 500 yard average against anybody is horrendous.

They need to get this defense fixed.
Old 10-02-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

after 4 games we already have half the wins as last season. I don't care who it was against either. Last year we were the last team in the league so anybody we play is better than us until our record begins to indicate differently.

I always wonder what we would be like if the defense we had in 02 played with this years offense. Then again who cares we are 1-3 this year, two games out of 2nd place, 3 out of 1st.

Imagine if the players said "well we won but we shouldn't have" instead of saying "Hey we won, now lets increase what ever preparation it took to get this so we can do it again"
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
Big J
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I agree we played 3 good football teams to start the season, but to allow an almost 500 yard average against anybody is horrendous.

I totally agree with this post. Letting teams absolutely demolish our secondary like we have in the previous games are down right embarrising, even if they are some of the best teams in the NFL. McNabb, Peyton, and Old Man Brunnel made the Texans defense look like a high school football team.

While there was clearly some improvement against Miami, it isnt fair to say our defense is by any stretch of the imagination good. However, I do expect some better things down the road now that they have the taste of victory and more expierence in the 4-3.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #6
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Like sharks smelling blood in the water, the defense has a little taste of victory, and now that Mario has a sack, I think he will be a little more vocal and less stressed about breaking his cherry so to speak.

I am not saying that the defense is changing overnight into a top defense, but at least there is a little swagger they have in their step with some qb pressure, some tough stops and a good play defensed when they needed it most.

The confidence from this game will be contagious. Everyone likes the feel for a W and now they know that they can compete and come out on top. They will start playing like winners.
Old 10-02-2006   #7
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

It is all starting to come together, too bad we have so far to go.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2006   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
Like sharks smelling blood in the water, the defense has a little taste of victory, and now that Mario has a sack, I think he will be a little more vocal and less stressed about breaking his cherry so to speak.

I am not saying that the defense is changing overnight into a top defense, but at least there is a little swagger they have in their step with some qb pressure, some tough stops and a good play defensed when they needed it most.

The confidence from this game will be contagious. Everyone likes the feel for a W and now they know that they can compete and come out on top. They will start playing like winners.
I agree with you. A win going into the bye week is a major confidence booster. That said, we still have to learn to put teams away. Put a dagger in them! It's something we haven't done in the past. With Kubiak here I'm expecting that to change.
Old 10-02-2006   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

As usual, the Texans face a brutal schedule. The resurgence of the NFC East seemed to coincide with us being paired up with them again...that kinda sucked. Washington was a damn good 0-2 team when we faced them and those first two games were without Portis. Needless to say McNabb and Manning have been making most defenses look bad at times as well. Hopefully the first 3 games will just be a statistical aberration and we can put a better face on our defense for the balance of the year. If Dunta can pull his head out of his posterior, get Petey back, and we can get an effective Wong back we could be at least middle of the road by the end of the year.

Bottom line is the next game is Dallas, and if you pressure Bledsoe he folds like a deck of cards with or without TO. We better gameplan blitz after blitz in that game. Beating Dallas in Irving would do a lot for that locker room and the franchise in general....just put a suicide watch on TO if that happens...and I only wish I was being sarcastic.

doug
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

O.G., good analysis! I like it and I think you are right on point.

Another perspective though, is playing the tougher teams, we now know this is going to take several years to get going at the rate the Texans are improving. They are getting better, but not a fast enough. Hopefully, they can get over the hump by the end of the season with regard to really turning this thing around.

Oh, Chris Collingsworth on NBC said you know you are the worst team in the league when you lose the Texans. He was to referring to Jason Taylor's similar quote in the Dolphins locker room after the game.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #11
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post

I kinda wish we played dallas this weekend while the guys are still fired up but the o line is banged up so i am grateful for bye for them to heal as well as peek and the rest who are hurting.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Could it be that the Texans Defense made the 'skins, eagles, and colts offenses among the best in the league?
Old 10-02-2006   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Im pretty sure Indy and Philly are just out and out great offenses. Washington obviously struggled before us, but then put 36 on a Jacksonville defense that dominated the Steelers and the Colts, so it really is hard to see if we made them look good or they made us look bad. On a side note, wihtout Portis, the Skins looked terrible, with Portis they looked unstopable.
Old 10-02-2006   #14
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Im pretty sure Indy and Philly are just out and out great offenses. Washington obviously struggled before us, but then put 36 on a Jacksonville defense that dominated the Steelers and the Colts, so it really is hard to see if we made them look good or they made us look bad. On a side note, wihtout Portis, the Skins looked terrible, with Portis they looked unstopable.

very good points that shouldnt be taken lightly
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #15
sleepwalker
Veteran

I respectively disagree with this post:

We played terrible football those first 3 games...The Texans started to show the old bad habbits too, it was obvious and that's what engraged most of us fans.

Yes Philly is great, Colts too and what can u say about Portis.

The bottom line is this team didnt play up to their capabilities those first 3 games.

In my opinion, it's more relevant how we lost rather than who we lost to.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

I'm quite sure no one is sitting around that Texans round table thinking the Defense is almost there.

& no one was thinking we'd give up 500 yards to Philly, Indy, & Washington. But to think our defense is the worse in the league, because we did is pretty silly. Philly continues to pile 500 yard/games, Washington hung 500 on Jacksonville, and Indy..... well they'll do it to someone else for sure.

We're at the bottom of the rankings now, but wait until Indy, Philly, & Washington have made their rounds.

I'm more embarassed that our offense couldn't match them to tell you the truth.

Do you think that's a ridiculous?? well, guess what I'm thinking.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read