Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Biggest problem??
RB's 23 38.33%
O-Line 37 61.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2006   #1
real

Question Running vs. Blocking

What do you think the biggest problem with our running game is...The O-Line or the running backs???
Old 10-02-2006   #2
real

Default Re: Running vs. Blocking

I voted running back...
Old 10-02-2006   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Our backs. Lack the speed and the recognition to find the holes. I've watched tape where a number of different times we had a big hole and Dayne or Gado just didn't hit it. Makes the Morency trade that much more frustrating IMO.
Old 10-02-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that while the pass blocking has improved, the run blocking has gotten worse. I'll vote OL.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Our backs. Lack the speed and the recognition to find the holes. I've watched tape where a number of different times we had a big hole and Dayne or Gado just didn't hit it. Makes the Morency trade that much more frustrating IMO.

I agree...
Old 10-02-2006   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Both of your options are part of the problem, but the lack of a potent passing attack that defenses can respect is the biggest reason the running game is suffering.

Linebackers and safeties are leaning forward and not backwards. The defensive lineman don't have to maintain their rush lanes when rushing the passer is also a big problem from what I see with the passing attack, which makes it harder to get the ball downfield via the passing game.

A passing attack that uses the entire part of the field at anytime will make the offensive line's job easier on run blocking.

I believe you run first and then pass. But, it is hard to run first when the defense doesn't respect that you can pass it first at any time.

A clear indication we can't pass the football is when Kubiak elects not to run the 2 minute offense in the first half of the Dolphins game.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
I think that while the pass blocking has improved, the run blocking has gotten worse. I'll vote OL.
I acctually think our run blocking is pretty good...How many times do you see defenders slicing through to make plays on our guys in the backfield ??? I've seen plenty of space to run on occasion but it seems like neither one of our backs have enough lateral speed to cut back or change direction...our Running backs are definitely a problem...
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2006   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Both of your options are part of the problem, but the lack of a potent passing attack that defenses can respect is the biggest reason the running game is suffering.
are you serious??? Our passing game is the only thing we have going right now....
Old 10-03-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Late in the third, and into the 4th, our passing game had the defense on their heels....... Dayne got some nice chunks....

he does look a little slow, but if get's to a hole, he's hell to bring down.

But getting hit by Linebackers & DTs in the backfield pretty much has me blaming the Ol.. There was one play we had 7 guys run blocking on 5 defensive players....... couldn't make a whole......

Dayne would have done better if he'd have followed his fullback more often, but I still voted Offensive Line.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #10
sleepwalker
Veteran

Losing Davis really really really really really hurt our running game...Now I hear Salaam is out...We have some serious run game issues we are going to have to just live with.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
Losing Davis really really really really really hurt our running game...Now I hear Salaam is out...We have some serious run game issues we are going to have to just live with.
But what about the scheme??

I definitely think our OL has problems and neeeds some work, but I really don't like either one of our backs...It seems like all they can do is run straight...Make a move for christ sakes....I know kubes is on the one cut and go tip....but do you really have to run up your linemans back???
Old 10-03-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think the problem is both. We don't have a featured back, and we have a line that can neither pass-block nor run-block effectively.
Old 10-03-2006   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

A better o-line will open up holes for the running backs and improve their game. This has been the major difference between what was happening in the pre-season running game and the regular season. The O-line has not been opening holes/lanes. Injuries have affected this as much as anything, but to be realistic, the Texans did not have a good running game even when they had the starting offensive line in there.
Old 10-03-2006   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Just what I noticed in the Miaimi game, there seemed to be quite large lanes open up on the left side between guard and tackle and the running back either didn't notice the opening or went with the play as called and continued right and only gaining minimal yards.

So in that situation, I think it's more on the RB not noticing a spot when it opens irregardless if the play is designed that way.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #15
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Late in the third, and into the 4th, our passing game had the defense on their heels....... Dayne got some nice chunks....

he does look a little slow, but if get's to a hole, he's hell to bring down.

But getting hit by Linebackers & DTs in the backfield pretty much has me blaming the Ol.. There was one play we had 7 guys run blocking on 5 defensive players....... couldn't make a whole......

Dayne would have done better if he'd have followed his fullback more often, but I still voted Offensive Line.
I think both are bad, but I think our main problem is the quickness of the backs to hit the holes. If they dont hit it quick the hole becomes a hole for the defense rather than a hole for the running back, dayne has been dropped at the LOS many times because he tried to push the pile with a wide open hole righ next to him, next thing you know a LB is comming thru the hole to finish him off. all our backs seem to hit the point of contact really quick but not neccesarrily the hole The difference between being tackled at the point of impact and making it thru the hole and then being tackled is about 3 yards or more, with that we would be moving the ball down the field, at least to a 3rd and short.
Old 10-03-2006   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

You have to have a strong Line of Scrimmage before you can run the ball effectively. We have an impressive set of RBs who can do a lot in this scheme. We just need the O-line to operate well enough to give them some lanes to run through.
Old 10-03-2006   #17
Crazyhorse
Rookie

I think the O-line is the bigger problem because we get no push off the line, and we don't sustain the blocks either. If we did Weigert would not be the first one to the pile to help the runner up. Sherman has turned the O-line into a Green Bay retirement camp. We need to get the rookies into the game. both Winston and Spencer showed great drive and aggression during the preseason. I know Spencer is gone but Sherman needs to get his head out his ### and give Winston his shot. Bedell was worse than horrible Sunday and almost cost us the game. Makes you wonder if coaches have the teams interest first or are thinking about their own agenda. If Sherman is still hung up about losing the Green Bay job he needs to get over it and help make this team a winner.
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #18
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

If the line could block better it would open the offense up in every catagory.
Old 10-03-2006   #19
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

I didn't vote. I think it is a combination of the two, plus we have played some really good defenses.
Old 10-03-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think both are bad, but I think our main problem is the quickness of the backs to hit the holes. If they dont hit it quick the hole becomes a hole for the defense rather than a hole for the running back, dayne has been dropped at the LOS many times because he tried to push the pile with a wide open hole righ next to him, next thing you know a LB is comming thru the hole to finish him off. all our backs seem to hit the point of contact really quick but not neccesarrily the hole The difference between being tackled at the point of impact and making it thru the hole and then being tackled is about 3 yards or more, with that we would be moving the ball down the field, at least to a 3rd and short.
We'll get there, I'm sure. Right now, It looks like a young team trying to learn to run... I'm sure he is being told to go where the hole is supposed to be. This is GreenBay's power running, not ZBS..... hopefully we'll get to ZBS soon, and the RB will be given more freedom.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read