Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2006   #1
Ezekiel Rage
waterboy

Default Kevin Walter?

Man is it just me, or has this guy's play been pretty brutal? I hate to dog on the guy on too much, but after that play on the onside kick today I couldn't help myself.

Wasn't he brought in to be our #3 receiver behind AJ and Moulds? I seem to remember Kubiak and Co. calling him an up and coming player after they signed him away from the Bengals. So far I haven't seen anything from him to remotely justify that contract we gave him.

It's starting to look like the Bengals didn't have that hard of a decision to make when it came to offer him a tender or not...Am I way off here?

- James
Long time lurker, first time poster
Ezekiel Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter?

I agree. He had a good 1st down catch today, but other than that all i can remember him doing is fumbling the ball away. I've been very disapointed in this guy. He has great size and measureables, but no ability to get open or something.
Old 10-01-2006   #3
K.D.
Veteran

I'm pretty satisfied with him so far. He haven't had much playing time like he did today, but the guy made afew plays today. With more PT, he's going to be an asset to the recieving core. Remember he's not a burner, he's a possession guy and that's where he earn's his paycheck. On the onside kick, it's just one of those things that happens.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #4
Mattheus_Rex
Veteran

I think we need to look at RB's harder. The recieving core is fine for now, and Ron Dayne is a good bruiser, but other than that, the Texans look like my fantasy football team, picking up other peoples scraps.
Old 10-01-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Gado hasnt had a chance to show anything yet. Its entirely possible that Dayne and Gado could be the future of this franchise at RB.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #6
clandestin
Veteran

While the onside kick was certainly nerve wracking, if you watch the onside kick again on tape it didn't go anywhere close to 10 yards. Even if the Phins had recovered it would have been overturned.
Old 10-02-2006   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've gotta tell ya, i'm not a walters fan. he's going to have to string together a probowl season to get on my good side ... and i'm not even sure that would do it. i'm sorry but walters wasnt worth trading a draft pick for to begin with. he's got a drop, an uncontested interception, a very costly holding penalty, and a near fatal muffed kickoff ... IN TWO GAMES. what kills me about this is he's taking the place of one of my favorite players - derrick armstrong. derrick "glue for hands" armstrong doesnt drop the pass, doesnt muff the kickoff, and if you've ever seen the kid play, his effort and uncanny leaping ability (which went unnoticed) turns that INT into a touchdown or atleast an incomplete pass. walters doesnt scare anyone with his size and doesnt have the "stickum hands" required for a slot receiver ... nor does he seem to have carr's trust. maybe i'm being overly critical, but walters has a LOT of ground to make up ... especially with a pair of probowlers surrounding him.
Old 10-02-2006   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin View Post
While the onside kick was certainly nerve wracking, if you watch the onside kick again on tape it didn't go anywhere close to 10 yards. Even if the Phins had recovered it would have been overturned.
once we touch it doesnt matter how far it goes.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #9
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i've gotta tell ya, i'm not a walters fan. he's going to have to string together a probowl season to get on my good side ... and i'm not even sure that would do it. i'm sorry but walters wasnt worth trading a draft pick for to begin with. he's got a drop, an uncontested interception, a very costly holding penalty, and a near fatal muffed kickoff ... IN TWO GAMES. what kills me about this is he's taking the place of one of my favorite players - derrick armstrong. derrick "glue for hands" armstrong doesnt drop the pass, doesnt muff the kickoff, and if you've ever seen the kid play, his effort and uncanny leaping ability (which went unnoticed) turns that INT into a touchdown or atleast an incomplete pass. walters doesnt scare anyone with his size and doesnt have the "stickum hands" required for a slot receiver ... nor does he seem to have carr's trust. maybe i'm being overly critical, but walters has a LOT of ground to make up ... especially with a pair of probowlers surrounding him.
I am going to have to disagree with you here.

If you ask the Bengal fans the one thing they will say about Walter is that he has "Stickum Hands", saying that he catches everything thrown in his direction.

Now I certainly agree we haven't seen this yet but let's give the guy a chance. Give him time.

I liked Armstrong too but at this point we have to trust Kubiak and company. Did Armstrong get picked up by another team? where is he at?
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin View Post
uhhh....if a Texans player has touched the ball...it doesn't matter how far the ball goes....
Old 10-02-2006   #11
real

I am not sure what the uproar about Walters is about....He is our third best reciever...period....didn't we only give up a 7th for the guy ??? That is a steal IMO....he had some mistakes...but none of them were costly...some could have been...but they weren't....holding...everybody does it occasionally...and the muffed catch on the onside recovery...he needs to work on that..but overall he didn't have a great game, but I don't think it was horrendous either...
Old 10-02-2006   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember him getting a pretty clutch catch yesterday across the middle. I think that he's a good receiver. Not to say there isn't room to improve...

It seems like this was the first game in which Carr threw at him more than once. I think that once the offense hits a rhythm, he'll get better. (By using the word "rhythm," I mean that right now, the offense isn't exactly balanced. It doesn't seem like the ball even got thrown to the TE's yesterday.)

I think that Kubiak had Ed McCaffrey in mind when he made the trade for Kevin Walter.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #13
phan1
All Pro

Well, when he was on the field he sure played well. He made some clutch catches in that game! But yeah, he needed to get it done on that onside kick. But I'm very happy with him. It looks like he replaced out TEs today. I think he lined up there if I'm not mistaken. I hardly remember any TE catching a pass today...
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Gado hasnt had a chance to show anything yet. Its entirely possible that Dayne and Gado could be the future of this franchise at RB.
From what I've seen of our running game, if they're our future, we'll be a perennial contender for the 1st pick in the draft. Less than 3 YPC is horrendous, regardless of talent, blocking schemes or O-line. Dayne and Gado missed SEVERAL nice holes yesterday and ran into the pile like they had blinders on.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
From what I've seen of our running game, if they're our future, we'll be a perennial contender for the 1st pick in the draft. Less than 3 YPC is horrendous, regardless of talent, blocking schemes or O-line. Dayne and Gado missed SEVERAL nice holes yesterday and ran into the pile like they had blinders on.
I agree with you 100000%
Old 10-02-2006   #16
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin View Post
I liked Armstrong too but at this point we have to trust Kubiak and company. Did Armstrong get picked up by another team? where is he at?
Armstrong is playing in the CFL now. I think he's on the Blue Bombers.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
HaHa! My wife was with me at the game yesterday and that's the first thing she noticed was Dayne running into the pile. She was saying "if my own player were to keep running into my back the whole game, I'd be kickin somebodies butt". It was funny, guess ya had to be there.

I agree, there was several times the one cut back was missing the cut part all together.
Old 10-02-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

IMO Walter is functional but I'm not sure why he was considered better than Armstrong; I think they play a similar game. I hope Mathis can develop as a WR because we could surely use his speed in the slot.
Old 10-02-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
God I hope not...
Old 10-02-2006   #20
bigTEXan8
All Pro

i'd just like to see the texans get walter a little more playing time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read