Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some more excuses:

Hey I thought I'd post some interesting things that should continue to make us feel pretty good going into our bye week.

Before today we played:
-Eagles
-Colts
-Redskins

We had given up an average of 480+ yards every game, and ranked dead laast by a LARGE margin in total defense because of it. I was the first to jump on the "Texans D is the worst ever" bandwagon, but today was proof again that maybe we weren't that bad, and that the teams were that good.

1 - Eagles are currently top rated offensive team, Indy is #5, and Washington is #11.

2 - The Jaguars, who shut out the Steelers and played Indy well, allowed 481 total yards to the Redkskins!

I'm not saying we are an elite defensive unit, but I thought I'd throw these stats out there -
What does it show?
We, along with some of the best defenses in the NFL (Jax) get smoked by top tier offensive teams.
What happens when we play a more mediocre offense? See todays box score. We held the Dolphins to 289 total yards, and 156 of those came on their last 2 drives of the day! Without those "prevent defense" (I assume) last second drives, they would have had a total of 133 total yards! Crazy!
Old 10-01-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Re: Some more excuses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Hey I thought I'd post some interesting things that should continue to make us feel pretty good going into our bye week.

Before today we played:
-Eagles
-Colts
-Redskins

We had given up an average of 480+ yards every game, and ranked dead laast by a LARGE margin in total defense because of it. I was the first to jump on the "Texans D is the worst ever" bandwagon, but today was proof again that maybe we weren't that bad, and that the teams were that good.

1 - Eagles are currently top rated offensive team, Indy is #5, and Washington is #11.

2 - The Jaguars, who shut out the Steelers and played Indy well, allowed 481 total yards to the Redkskins!

I'm not saying we are an elite defensive unit, but I thought I'd throw these stats out there -
What does it show?
We, along with some of the best defenses in the NFL (Jax) get smoked by top tier offensive teams.
What happens when we play a more mediocre offense? See todays box score. We held the Dolphins to 289 total yards, and 156 of those came on their last 2 drives of the day! Without those "prevent defense" (I assume) last second drives, they would have had a total of 133 total yards! Crazy!
Probably 3 of the best coaches in the league, if you want to add that to your list.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the giants were as bad as us v philly and indy and are in mutiny.......oops!!

seriously though i liked seeing the skins torch the jags and thought the same thing-

worried by the jags passing game though...reggie williams looked real good in that game
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #4
Jwwillis
All Pro

10-01-2006, 11:01 PM #13
Desides
Seasoned Veteran

Posts: 362 Agreed with the contents of your post, but right now, it's ringing a little hollow. We really should've won this game. Culpepper played better, especially in the second half. Our defense was clearly focused. But then Booker slips and falls and doesn't make a catch, and Welker slips and falls and doesn't make the two-point conversion, and we lose a game to the friggin' Texans.

I want to tell myself that we played like winners despite the loss, but... it was the friggin' Texans.

I really believe that our season is over. The schedule only gets harder--much harder--from here. New England, Chicago, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Indy... if we can't beat the friggin' Texans, how can we beat the teams we play down the stretch? How can we even hope to beat the damned Jets, who forced Indy and New England into some very close games?

Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Ibar_Harry;458582]Probably 3 of the best coaches in the league, if you want to add that to your list.[/QUOT

Good point, I knew Philly & Indy would be up there offensively, Washington i thought was decent, But i'm not going to lie & say that I expected they would put up 36 on that Jags defense.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Indy is leading the league in points per game at nearly 30! wow
Old 10-02-2006   #7
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Take the win and look for positives but do not ignore the weaknesses. Our tackling was ridiculous. Even the announcers commented on it. This game should not have been this close, if we had just brought some guys down.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2006   #8
Osso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis View Post
We really should've won this game. Culpepper played better, especially in the second half. Our defense was clearly focused. But then Booker slips and falls and doesn't make a catch, and Welker slips and falls and doesn't make the two-point conversion, and we lose a game to the friggin' Texans.

Erm....Had they made those catchs you would have scored faster...Had you made the conversion the score would have been tied with 2 minutes left. To say you "should" have won is
Osso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #9
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the "Friggin" Texans can make more opposing fans mad.
Old 10-02-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if our defense has 'improved' as much as Miami just sucks right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm truly happy to see our D show up yesterday, but they gave up too many yards and points in the 4th when we were up 17-6. It all came down to one play, and if that 2 point conversion had been successful, there is no telling how OT would have turned out. It could have been as simple as who won the toss, because I have very little confidence that we can consistently stop even the most floundering of offenses right now.

We've got two really tough opponents ahead of us with Dallas and Jacksonville. It will be interesting to see if our defense gels and puts up a fight against these two proven teams.
Old 10-02-2006   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
and if that 2 point conversion had been successful, there is no telling how OT would have turned out. It could have been as simple as who won the toss, because I have very little confidence that we can consistently stop even the most floundering of offenses right now.

We've got two really tough opponents ahead of us with Dallas and Jacksonville. It will be interesting to see if our defense gels and puts up a fight against these two proven teams.

what??? if they had scored we would've still probably gotten a fg before the game ends....i mean there time left and we have timeouts and an aggressive coach like kubiak would have gotten us in fg range easy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #12
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Before today we played:
-Eagles
-Colts
-Redskins

What does it show?
you beat me to it. maybe the skins offense is really THAT DAMN GOOD! of course philly and indy are who they are. makes ya think a bit...
Old 10-02-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
what??? if they had scored we would've still probably gotten a fg before the game ends....i mean there time left and we have timeouts and an aggressive coach like kubiak would have gotten us in fg range easy
Perhaps...it's all speculation at this point. But when we were in the first two minute warning, Kubiak decided to take the tie into halftime in order to avoid running a two minute drill. Who's to say that he had confidence in running it at the end of the game?

Remember, Miami's D was ranked 7th coming into the game.

THE POINT was that our defense should never have put us in that spot to begin with, because we had an 11 point lead in the 4th. Some defenses like to protect leads instead of allowing a potential 2 point conversion tie the game.
Old 10-02-2006   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not sure if our defense has 'improved' as much as Miami just sucks right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm truly happy to see our D show up yesterday, but they gave up too many yards and points in the 4th when we were up 17-6. It all came down to one play, and if that 2 point conversion had been successful, there is no telling how OT would have turned out. It could have been as simple as who won the toss, because I have very little confidence that we can consistently stop even the most floundering of offenses right now.

This surprises me that the defense is getting some heat here. Clearly, they could have played better, but what about the offense?

The defense held the Dolphins to 3 points in the first half and to a total of 6 points in through the third quarter. What else can you expect in the NFL? Maybe a shut-out? Stats are stats, scoreboard is what counts.

Meanwhile, the offense can only put together one field through 3 quarters of play. The offense doesn't run the two minute drill with 1:54 left in the first half on it's own 20. Also, the offense can only get one first down at 5:41 left in the game with an 8 point lead. The result was Miami got the ball back with 3:40 left in the game with a chance to tie it up. Clearly, the offense should have kept the ball to run out the clock or score at least a field goal to put the game pretty much out of reach.

The offense didn't do the defense any favors this game.

The Texans won this game because the defense played a lot better. Meanwhile, the offense played the same as always, about 17 points, a little over 200 yards passing, and 90 yards rushing. That is what they have been averaging since 2004 pretty much every game. A good sign though was that the offense scored two touchdowns late in the game, which is not so common for them.

DB, you need to be just as critical of the offense too!

That is my point.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense did what they could to give away the game but the bottom line is they won a game that they should've lost and most likely would've any other time.

The good that comes from this is what it feels like to win. Hopefully our team is going into this bye with a renewed confidence and gel together, and heal over the next two weeks because a win over Dallas can forgive the previous 3 losses.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
This surprises me that the defense is getting some heat here. Clearly, they could have played better, but what about the offense?

The defense held the Dolphins to 3 points in the first half and to a total of 6 points in through the third quarter. What else can you expect in the NFL? Maybe a shut-out? Stats are stats, scoreboard is what counts.

Meanwhile, the offense can only put together one field through 3 quarters of play. The offense doesn't run the two minute drill with 1:54 left in the first half on it's own 20. Also, the offense can only get one first down at 5:41 left in the game with an 8 point lead. The result was Miami got the ball back with 3:40 left in the game with a chance to tie it up. Clearly, the offense should have kept the ball to run out the clock or score at least a field goal to put the game pretty much out of reach.

The offense didn't do the defense any favors this game.

The Texans won this game because the defense played a lot better. Meanwhile, the offense played the same as always, about 17 points, a little over 200 yards passing, and 90 yards rushing. That is what they have been averaging since 2004 pretty much every game. A good sign though was that the offense scored two touchdowns late in the game, which is not so common for them.

DB, you need to be just as critical of the offense too!

That is my point.
Fair enough, but the offense was playing the 7th ranked defense in the NFL! They scored enough to win, and that's their job. (scoreboard!)

Miami's offense, however, is anemic at best, and still made up a two score deficit in the 4th quarter. I'm not about to proclaim our D is ready for the Cowboys or Jaguars after barely escaping a sad Miami offense (ready for the Titans....maybe).

Critical analysis of the offense is definitely in order, but this thread is specifically about DEFENSE. Check the offensive minded threads and you'll find my criticism of them, too.

ps. check the time of possession. Our offense definitely did the defense a big favor by being on the field longer than they were!
Old 10-02-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Meanwhile, the offense played the same as always, about 17 points, a little over 200 yards passing, and 90 yards rushing. That is what they have been averaging since 2004 pretty much every game.
Ummm, no. The Texans passing O averaged 139 yds per game in 2005. That is not close to the same as 200 ypg.

2005 the rushing game averaged 113 yds at a 4.2 ypc clip. That is dramatically better than the 76 ypg at a 3.2 ypc clip of this season.

Those are both big changes--one good, one bad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read