Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006   #1
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default Corner was turned today

Mark it down...Today was the day...The rushing TD by Carr was the play on which this team turned it around. Had that play happened early in the game, you would have seen a 30+ point performance by the Texans offense today.

Carr walked to the line of scrimmage, and sold the Miami Defense on the play going to the right, and then walked in. The swagger that he put on heading into the end zone, and the subsequent heave of the ball into the stands (that's one lucky fan, IMO) was what Kubiak has been putting in his ear since he arrived, and the light bulb came on today. Had the Dolphins made that 2 point conversion, I had NO worries that Carr would march the team downfield to win the game. I was actually kind of hoping they would make it, so that he would HAVE to do it.

In the past...Carr would curl up and drop when he was certain to get hit in the pocket...today, I saw him MANY times get the pass away, and take the hit. He's been knocked around...and GD it, he's not going to take it any more. That's the attitude that I saw in the second half today. Congratulations, Texans fans...you have witnessed a rebirth. What sucks is that you have a bye week.

Truth be told, I said at the beginning of the season that I had a bad feeling in my gut that this would be the season that the Texans take their first game against the Colts...Christmas Eve should be an interesting game...I will say it now that the Texans will be battling for playoff position on Christmas Eve, and I expect a shootout.

Go Colts! (and the Texans if they aren't playing them!!!)
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

If you are right I will buy a Peyton Manning jersey.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #3
Snapple
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando, FL via Houston, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 445
Rep Power: 9 Snapple is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Thanks... hey, nice win for the Colts today. They got down, but Peyton was clutch on those last two TD drives.

Good thing, because I had the Colts in survival football today!
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #4
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
If you are right I will buy a Peyton Manning jersey.
I'll put my money where my mouth is...

I just picked up Carr in one of my fantasy leagues. I'll start him against Dallas. THAT's how confident I am in what I saw today.

It is the EXACT same look that Peyton had in a game against Cincinnati towards the end of his first season in the league. (they were 3-13 that year). I was in the end zone seats...and was looking right in his face. The very next season, they were 13-3, and on track to be where they are now.

I moved here 4+ years ago, and have watched the Texans just like I watched the Colts in the lean years. They are going to be exciting to watch.
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist
 
jerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dublin, OH
Age: 34
Posts: 6,632
Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Re: Corner was turned today

I can't wait to read from the Haterade crowd about how Carr was being cocky and has nothing to show off about ... the game guys that two weeks ago might've been complaining about lack of heart, fire, leadership, etc.

His INT was just unfortunate, I thought it was a good decision on Carr's part. He didn't blow my socks off today but I thought he played well and as someone pointed out earlier (might have been Vinny) I thought he made big passes in traffic and when they counted, and in that sense it might be his best showing in terms of maturity and improvement. The deep ball to Andre comes immediately to mind.

We should've beaten Miami and we did. A W is a W and I'm glad we came up with it.
__________________
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire

Last edited by jerek; 10-01-2006 at 04:00 PM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,844
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

I thought this was a Dunta thread at first. I thought it said, 'corner was burned today' instead of 'corner was turned today'.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist
 
jerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dublin, OH
Age: 34
Posts: 6,632
Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Speaking of Dunta, he's looked very average lately. Opposing QBs are still targeting Sanders much more frequently but Dunta has looked very ... average.
__________________
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,844
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
His INT was just unfortunate, I thought it was a good decision on Carr's part. He didn't blow my socks off today but I thought he played well and as someone pointed out earlier (might have been Vinny) I thought he made big passes in traffic and when they counted, and in that sense it might be his best showing in terms of maturity and improvement. The deep ball to Andre comes immediately to mind.
Carr probably played his best game today as far as making plays in the flow of the game when the game is on the line. Even though we beat a really bad Dolphin team Mario played decent and Carr played well sans a few brutal moments. About time the guys that get paid the most play a decent game.

I was watching the 9er game on streaming net.....ugh, dat was ugly.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame
 
bckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 53
Posts: 2,331
Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

I'm very happy the Texans won today. Our offense is improving every week. Unfortunately our defense is horrible. Dunta was burned really bad when it was critical to stop Miami and retain the lead. Richard Smith worries me.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #10
phan1
All Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 650
Rep Power: 11 phan1 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.

He was really clutch in his own way though. Converting those 3rd and longs was great to see. I was thinking "man, Carr is either gong to get sacked or dump it off to one of his backs", but to see him convert those 3rd downs was amazing to see. I've never seen him do that before! Kubiak is really making his mark on Carr.

Now, for gawd's sake give this man a running game! Oline needs to step it up!
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #11
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier View Post
I'll put my money where my mouth is...

I just picked up Carr in one of my fantasy leagues. I'll start him against Dallas. THAT's how confident I am in what I saw today.
...and just like that, I had to drop him...I have Vick and Leinart, and I picked up Carr, dropping Leinart, but alas...that would leave me with no QB for next week...My only hope is Favre next week...

but...I'm picking up Carr as soon as Favre's game is over next weekend. I'm playing him against Dallas in Week 6.
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #12
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier View Post
I'll put my money where my mouth is...

I just picked up Carr in one of my fantasy leagues. I'll start him against Dallas. THAT's how confident I am in what I saw today.

I want to point out how far behind you are. I started Carr today in 2 of my leagues. And BTW I was on the get rid of Carr bandwagon last off season. So I am not being a homer or DC apologist.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #13
Mysteryhunt
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 32
Posts: 296
Rep Power: 9 Mysteryhunt is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

thanks for the update, we're all really interested in your fantasy team. please let us know if anything changes.
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.
Against Jacksonville diving over the OL for a TD doesn't jar any memories? That was a very late score and a come from behind win.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #15
K.D.
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 234
Rep Power: 9 K.D. is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

[quote=phan1;458207]Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.

Think back to the first time we beat the dolphins in '04 I think. He drove the team down the field for the game-winning fg. But at this point I'll take a win by ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Re: Corner was turned today

During the after game presser their were some interesting comments that I think bode well for our future. To begin with Mario actually anticipated the play when he tipped the ball. He was relaxed enough to think and realize and analyze the situation. That means he is no longer exploding brain wise and beginning to think. That could be a huge step.

Carr said the big play was to Moulds and that Moulds sensed and broke his routue off a little short sensing the pressure on Carr. Carr stated it was great to have the confidence of the coach to make that Pass. We are beginning to fire on all cylinders, its just needs some more tweaking. There wree some very hopeful signs regarding this team. Lets just hope they continue. People are beginning to be relaxed enough to think about what is happening. Again, that is big news.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier View Post
Mark it down...Today was the day...The rushing TD by Carr was the play on which this team turned it around. Had that play happened early in the game, you would have seen a 30+ point performance by the Texans offense today.

Carr walked to the line of scrimmage, and sold the Miami Defense on the play going to the right, and then walked in. The swagger that he put on heading into the end zone, and the subsequent heave of the ball into the stands (that's one lucky fan, IMO) was what Kubiak has been putting in his ear since he arrived, and the light bulb came on today. Had the Dolphins made that 2 point conversion, I had NO worries that Carr would march the team downfield to win the game. I was actually kind of hoping they would make it, so that he would HAVE to do it.

In the past...Carr would curl up and drop when he was certain to get hit in the pocket...today, I saw him MANY times get the pass away, and take the hit. He's been knocked around...and GD it, he's not going to take it any more. That's the attitude that I saw in the second half today. Congratulations, Texans fans...you have witnessed a rebirth. What sucks is that you have a bye week.

Truth be told, I said at the beginning of the season that I had a bad feeling in my gut that this would be the season that the Texans take their first game against the Colts...Christmas Eve should be an interesting game...I will say it now that the Texans will be battling for playoff position on Christmas Eve, and I expect a shootout.

Go Colts! (and the Texans if they aren't playing them!!!)
LOL. OK, OK...it was a win.

But slow down on the "turned the corner" ideas.

IMO, this was about as close to a gimmee' win as it gets. That Dolphins team looked a lot like the Texans if you ask me. I had stated earlier that we were not better than the Dolphins, but that we are better than the Raiders and the Titans. I still stand by that statement even though we won today.

We still have a long long ways go. Savor today's win because I don't think we beat the Cowboys. Their passing attack is ripping up defensive backfields. It'll take a lot of blitzing by our defense, some turnovers that go our way, and an even MORE solid effort by our offense if we're going to beat the Boys.

I'll grant you this: We won, and that feels awesome. I just have seen enough ups and (mostly) downs with this team to know that it might still have to get worse before it gets better. Marios' sacks probably are turning the tide for our team's confidence more than anything else. We needed our big dog to come up with some firepower, and he delivered...it feeds their hunger for pressuring the QB.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #18
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryhunt View Post
thanks for the update, we're all really interested in your fantasy team. please let us know if anything changes.
I'm assuming that your comment here is meant to be sarcastic...My point in starting this thread was to give Carr his props. Sorry if it turned into a FF thread, or if that bothered you. You would think with the crap that gets spewed on these boards by opposing team's fans, one would either appreciate some words of encouragement, or just skip the thread altogether, but hey...there are some people in this world who just naturally keep the discussion as negative as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I want to point out how far behind you are. I started Carr today in 2 of my leagues. And BTW I was on the get rid of Carr bandwagon last off season. So I am not being a homer or DC apologist.
well...considering that he's available in BOTH of my leagues, I would say that i'm not the only one that hasn't considered him...not to mention that I'm 3-0 and 2-1, so I'm doing pretty well, i guess. Props to you for taking him, though. He's definitely playing better this season.
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #19
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
LOL. OK, OK...it was a win.

But slow down on the "turned the corner" ideas.

IMO, this was about as close to a gimmee' win as it gets. That Dolphins team looked a lot like the Texans if you ask me. I had stated earlier that we were not better than the Dolphins, but that we are better than the Raiders and the Titans. I still stand by that statement even though we won today.

We still have a long long ways go. Savor today's win because I don't think we beat the Cowboys. Their passing attack is ripping up defensive backfields. It'll take a lot of blitzing by our defense, some turnovers that go our way, and an even MORE solid effort by our offense if we're going to beat the Boys.

I'll grant you this: We won, and that feels awesome. I just have seen enough ups and (mostly) downs with this team to know that it might still have to get worse before it gets better. Marios' sacks probably are turning the tide for our team's confidence more than anything else. We needed our big dog to come up with some firepower, and he delivered...it feeds their hunger for pressuring the QB.

2 bad teams played today. The Texans emerged as a team that has found it's identity. Had Carr run that TD in the 1st quarter, today's game would have been a blowout. He came RIGHT back the next series and threw that pass to AJ, and made it look E-Z.

The point is that when this season is over...that will be the play that marks the turning point, IMO. I could be wrong...I'm no expert...but I think that some things are going to start happening for the Texans.
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Corner was turned today

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier View Post
2 bad teams played today. The Texans emerged as a team that has found it's identity. Had Carr run that TD in the 1st quarter, today's game would have been a blowout. He came RIGHT back the next series and threw that pass to AJ, and made it look E-Z.

The point is that when this season is over...that will be the play that marks the turning point, IMO. I could be wrong...I'm no expert...but I think that some things are going to start happening for the Texans.
I debate your assessment by only one factor: Mario's sack(s).

I think the roar of the crowd, the celebration of the defense, and the whole mood of the defense after that point was perhaps just as much of a turning point as anything.

Today was a big day because Carr "executed" well when he needed to, and Mario got that monkey off his back so that now he can just settle into the trenches and play football without fearing that he wasn't helping our team if he continues to go sackless all season.

Maybe those two can be co-turners of the corner: Carr and Mario.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger