Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2006   #1
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RB Problems....

I think its pretty obvious that we have a major issue on offense and its our RB play. They have all run the ball horrible. They did step up and have some good blocks on passing plays, but running the ball has been BAD.

Rushing stats this week: 33 rushes for 65 yards 2.0 avg.
Previous 3 weeks: 61 rushes for 239 yards 3.9 avg.

On the season: 94 rushes 304 yards 3.23 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 10-01-2006 at 03:10 PM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #2
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RB Problems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
I think its pretty obvious that we have a major issue on offense and its our RB play. They have all run the ball horrible. They did step up and have some good blocks on passing plays, but running the ball has been BAD.
sure has, but why has it been so chronic. Is it the scheme or is it the players are just not good enough. Lets hope DD is back to full fitness next year or we could be drafting a RB in April
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

it hasnt been horrible. They did get stuffed alot though.

Honestly.. we won the game.. if we get 50 rushing yards the rest of the season and win games.. im not going to complain.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not going to be winning very man more games if we can't run the ball. If it wasnt for Carr and the WideOuts, we'd be 0-4. For a running team, we don't scare anyone. Best believe teams will start scheming against our passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

For the next 48 hours, I plan on being happy and enjoying the victory. Personally I don't know when the next one will come, so I am going to savor this moment before I stant knocking the team down.

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

We will get our run game going eventually...We just dont have any players that pickup long runs...its more short definite runs.
Old 10-01-2006   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Gold stars for sherman and the make shift o-line. Wasn't perfect. But it was good enough. Nice job.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2006   #8
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Gold stars for sherman and the make shift o-line. Wasn't perfect. But it was good enough. Nice job.
It was good enough to beat the Dolphins, but it wasn't good.

Can't run block, and can't keep Carr from getting blindsided.

I'm happy we got the win, but I'm still not satisfied with our blocking in the slightest.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #9
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I think they will work on it during the bye week, and I think it is more a factor of their run-blocking then the RB's.
Agreed our backs are fine its the blocking that has to improve.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple View Post

I'm happy we got the win, but I'm still not satisfied with our blocking in the slightest.
The play of the inside of our line is weak, and we have a major problem at left tackle. Carr got a lot of pressure from the left, and that is on top of the sacks and the hits as he threw.
Old 10-01-2006   #11
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
I think it is more a factor of their run-blocking then the RB's.
Ditto. (And Legend is a great movie!)
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple View Post

i completely agree, our blocking is as bad as it's ever been. the difference this year is coaching. count the number of tackles that ron dayne breaks on every play, and the number of times carr is hit as he's throwing. those two guys are playing as hard as anybody in football and being successful. kubiak's getting every ounce he can from that line and it's a hair's breathe from being disastrous. congrats to the offense for gutting it out all day and getting the win, but it's obvious that our biggest (probably ONLY) problem on offense is still that line. i look forward to next season when we get spencer back, flanagan with a year here under his belt, and some replacements for that right side.
Old 10-01-2006   #13
phan1
All Pro

I'm officially wrong about Dayne and am gald he's a Texan. Right now, he is really the only guy on our roster who can run in this zone blocking scheme. He's not great of probably even good. But he knows where to run, wheras our other RBs don't.

But our running game has to get better overall. That Oline just isn't getting it done.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #14
sleepwalker
Veteran

Carr's playfake touchdown score was AWSOME !!! I stood up and screamed *OWNED!!!!*

A big reason that play worked was because of the threat of the run...We didnt run the ball terribly well, but it was enough to get the job done...I like the way Dayne runs over people and he's a pretty good blocker...Losing DD this season really hurt this offence, but they have done a good job filling his shoes with some power runners who can block and catch.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #15
ericdoesntcare
Rookie

No blocking and Slow running backs... that is 2 huge problems.
ericdoesntcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
I'm officially wrong about Dayne and am gald he's a Texan. Right now, he is really the only guy on our roster who can run in this zone blocking scheme. He's not great of probably even good. But he knows where to run, wheras our other RBs don't.
I might say "he is really the only guy left on our roster who can run in this zone blocking scheme".

I am still not convinced we made a lot of good moves with our running backs after training camp.
Old 10-01-2006   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I am wondering some about the hybrid Denver style zone block mixed with the Green Bay Power I stuff.

Part of the effectiveness Denver blocking is that the running from that is supposed to set up the pass because the blocking always looks the same.

Hmmm.

I do not like our options at left tackle. I do not like Eric Winston not being activated when it is Salaam and Bedell. Just from what I saw at the game, and not watching the TV stuff, the left side looks non-good.

I liked Seth Wand more in the preseason, you know, back when they could run the ball.

YRMV
Old 10-01-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I liked Seth Wand more in the preseason, you know, back when they could run the ball.
seth wand (to me atleast) looked like he picked up the ZBS that kubiak runs quicker than any other linemen. we ran the ball more effectively to the left side during preseason when he was in the game than we did with spencer. he's also a lot quicker than our other options and can pick off linebackers effectively. he'd be a major upgrade over salaam, and bedell is lucky to be on a team at all.
Old 10-01-2006   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dayne gets past the line of scrimmage, he's a force.

I noticed this today. If he gets to, or past, the line of scrimmage...and without getting his feet tangled up with blockers or d linemen...he is good for about 5 yards every time. The momentum he builds is amazing.

So while it is frustrating to sometimes see him take a nosedive for one-yard gains, you gotta' think about the times he gets free of the line of scrimmage and has flat out carried defenders or bulldozed them for extra yards.

DD would pick his way around and get all "choppy" for the extra yards, but Dayne is a different creature.

And Gado is nowhere to be seen. Gonna' take awhile to get used to the playbook, or an injury to Dayne, for him to sniff carries IMO.
Old 10-01-2006   #20
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

We need to find a better RB this next off-season for sure, but our run blocking has been pretty shiesty as well. It's going to take a while for this group to gel and really pick up this zone blocking scheme. The sooner the better. I think we'll have a decent running game in place by the end of the year.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read