Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-01-2006   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Am I "allowed" to root for UT?

In response to all the negative rep I get for talking about UT, I must ask: why can't I talk college football? I may not technically be attending UT, but I'm going to UT with credits, I have AP classes and should have concurrent as well. But that's not the point. Just because I'm not at Austin, that doesn't mean that I can't talk about college football...right?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default Re: Am I "allowed" to root for UT?

You'll probably get a variety of answers. Some will question how you can root for a school you haven't/have yet/didn't attend. If that were the case for me, I'd have to root for a bunch of schools (My degree was obtained through taking classes around the planet as the Air Force shipped me around).

I been a fan of UT for as long as I can remember. But because I didn't go to school there, I don't use the terms "we", "our" etc. when discussing the Longhorns. But I still root for them.

And seeing how this is the college football discussion board, why wouldn't you be allowed to talk college football here?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
You'll probably get a variety of answers. Some will question how you can root for a school you haven't/have yet/didn't attend. If that were the case for me, I'd have to root for a bunch of schools (My degree was obtained through taking classes around the planet as the Air Force shipped me around).

I been a fan of UT for as long as I can remember. But because I didn't go to school there, I don't use the terms "we", "our" etc. when discussing the Longhorns. But I still root for them.

And seeing how this is the college football discussion board, why wouldn't you be allowed to talk college football here?
Because I'm not or have not been in college.
Old 10-01-2006   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Because I'm not or have not been in college.
Some might make that argument as well.

Which makes me wonder: If you're an alumni of a school and believe only those that attend a school has a right to root for said school , do you not allow your children (not old enough to attend college yet) to root for your school?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've given you as much positive rep as I have negative rep, MT. I don't just give out negative rep because I feel like it, I think through it before I actually give it. I try to include my name in all of my reps, positive or negative, as well. In your history you should have a pos and neg from me, if I remember correctly. Tell me if I am wrong.

I don't mind you talking about TU, but if you say something that makes me unsettled then I will let you know, and I have.
Old 10-01-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing as this is an NFL board where almost everyone here is a Texans fan, it might stand to reason that we have different college rooting interests.

Sometimes we take jabs at those other rooting interests in the way of repping our own team. It's all in good fun. I usually have a pretty good time talking trash to Aggies and Sooners. And I still like the other guy when the trash talking is finished.

If I was to hit somebody's rep every time that I saw something I didn't like about the Longhorns, then I'd be a busy man. And I also wouldn't be talking about what I'm really here to talk about....

My ...

It's pretty lame to give any rep at all (good or bad) based on what somebody says about a college team on an NFL board. If you only wanna read stuff that you'll agree with, then you're at the wrong MB.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I've given you as much positive rep as I have negative rep, MT. I don't just give out negative rep because I feel like it, I think through it before I actually give it. I try to include my name in all of my reps, positive or negative, as well. In your history you should have a pos and neg from me, if I remember correctly. Tell me if I am wrong.

I don't mind you talking about TU, but if you say something that makes me unsettled then I will let you know, and I have.
I expected some neg. rep from when I talked trash about your new "big screen," especially that pic, so it's not like its ever unwarranted.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2006   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
In response to all the negative rep I get for talking about UT, I must ask: why can't I talk college football? I may not technically be attending UT, but I'm going to UT with credits, I have AP classes and should have concurrent as well. But that's not the point. Just because I'm not at Austin, that doesn't mean that I can't talk about college football...right?
I am a big UT fan but I never attended undergrad or grad school there. I have supported UT since I was about 5 or 6. I say support who you want.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I am a big UT fan but I never attended undergrad or grad school there. I have supported UT since I was about 5 or 6. I say support who you want.
Same here. I never even set foot on UT campus. But I grew up in Austin and went to all the football games. It was the Texas Longhors who introduced me to football. I've been a fan ever since without ever being a student.

Last edited by RTP2110; 10-01-2006 at 07:41 PM.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That would be an odd way of thinking considering most of those people will say us/we/our/ when talking Texans football. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that they never played for the Texans.

It seems the negative rep is used in strange fashion at times, but it all washes out in the end when I get odd positive reps as well.

Such is life.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

IMO, if you are a Texan or just came to Texas as soon as you got here, or if you admire Texas, then you have every right to support the University of Texas, no matter who or where you are.

If you are an Aggie, Raider, or supporter of any other team and you want to know what it feels like to root for a BCS Champion, then feel free to cheer for Texas, too. Just don't hate us for beating your team.

Old 10-02-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

not really truthful....but we will go with that version.

Root for what you want MT. Don't let the sheeple tell you who to root for.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
I applaud that. I have several friends that call themselves "Longhorns" but never took a single credit hour there (TSU/SWTS alums, St. Ed's alums, went to high school in Austin, or whatever). The distinction is a Longhorn fan vs. a Longhorn. If you were ever enrolled at UT, you are a Longhorn. If you love the team to your heart's content but never went there, you are a Longhorn fan. That is the distinction to me.

Last edited by TheOgre; 10-02-2006 at 01:38 PM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Root for what you want MT. Don't let the sheeple tell you who to root for.
Agreed. And I'll go one step further and say to make up your own mind about things (football and otherwise) and not cowtow to the message board "experts" ...

Last edited by chuckm; 10-02-2006 at 01:48 PM.
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, truthfully. Who gave me negative rep for calling UT TU? Any scruffy lookin' nerfherder in the state of Texas knows that A&M refers to "The" University of Texas as TU. Whoever you are, stop being a coward and show yourself.

Not only am I an Aggie, but I am a Carr supporter. I must be the most hated ****er on this entire MB.

P.S - How is it disrespectful for me to refer to it as TU? I would say it is much more disrespectful to run around telling all this dumb Aggie jokes. I am going to give out negative rep to the owner of the next two Aggie jokes I see, just because of the negative rep I got on this thread. I am not happy about being pushed around.

Last edited by TexansLucky13; 10-02-2006 at 04:07 PM.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #16
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 17283 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Being from Texas, I go for University Of TEXAS. Like any true Texan, I have family members who go for A&M and TT as well, we give each other a hard time and that is it. If you wanna go for UT do it dude, who is gonna tell you that you can not do that. If they do tell em to "go to hell", or some other creative expletive. If you dont have any I can loan you some.

Quote:
P.S - How is it disrespectful for me to refer to it as TU? I would say it is much more disrespectful to run around telling all this dumb Aggie jokes. I am going to give out negative rep to the owner of the next two Aggie jokes I see, just because of the negative rep I got on this thread. I am not happy about being pushed around.
Not to be an ***hole, but that is fairly juvenile to say and do. Yes I would say that if you were a UT (TU) fan to.
Old 10-02-2006   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
Not to be an ***hole, but that is fairly juvenile to say and do. Yes I would say that if you were a UT (TU) fan to.
It's not juvenile. You try being the brunt of the joke all the time. Eventually you will start resenting the fact that people have no respect for what you do and what you love. Just ask Jim Rome what he thinks of A&M. That dumb **** doesn't know anything, yet people listen to him because someone was dumb enough to give him a show.

I will not be terrorized.
Old 10-02-2006   #18
real

Quote:
I try to include my name in all of my reps, positive or negative, as well.
That's not something you have to try to do...
Old 10-02-2006   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"Not only am I an Aggie, but I am a Carr supporter. I must be the most hated ****er on this entire MB."

"P.S - How is it disrespectful for me to refer to it as TU?"
Try being a Domer and a Carr supporter.

TU will deserve some respect when they take care of this little item..

"It's true: ND's football players actually do go to class, and almost all of them graduate. According to the NCAA's Graduation Success Rate (GSR) results released this week, ND football graduated 95% of its players over the four-year span of entering classes from 96-97 through 99-00. Among Division 1 football schools, this was good for 3rd overall behind Navy (98%) and Boston College (96%)."

Some notables for the wall of shame: Southern Cal (55%), Ohio State (55%), Michigan State (45%), Georgia (41%), and the defending national champs, Texas (40%).

It's a ND site

Old 10-02-2006   #20
ljl85
noob

I say cheer for whoever you want. What I find kinda silly though is when someone starts talking down on A&M, Tech, OU, or whoever when their real school's team is much worse. I also find it ironic when some of these fans say call Aggies, Raiders, or Sooners dumb when they go to some small school and were probably rejected by those schools.
ljl85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read