Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dunta Robinson is frustrated

In his rookie year, DRob was tested and tested often. QBs aimed at him, and away from Glenn, almost every play. And he responded. Hard hits, great coverage, and a load of INTs made him what I thought a shoe in for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Unfortunately, Vilma also had a great year. But thats beside the point.

Last year, his coverage ability slipped. While still delivering mind boggling hits on WRs, FBs, and RBs, he definitely had an off year. And this year has been no different.

He is trying, but his coverage ability has slipped again. He's giving up big plays. Is it his fault or the DL? We wont know until we get a pass rush, but at this point, it doesn't really matter.

The fact is, DRob is frustrated. You can see it in his face, and in his play. I've seen him throw up his hands in frustration on more than 1 play. And then I read this quote from the NFL.com preview:

"It's an embarrassing situation," defensive back Dunta Robinson said. "Right now we can't even keep the games close. We've got to get better or we're going to be the laughingstock of the NFL again."

IMO this team is on a very slipperly slope. I know saying games are a must win is stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. If we don't win on Sunday, and worse yet if we don't at least keep it close, this team may give up. Everyone knew the early part of the season would be tough, but when the D gives up 100 yards mroe than any other team in the league its got to be demoralizing. Confidence plays a huge role in bringing out the best in players. Frustration, the worst.

Last edited by Texans_Chick; 09-29-2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Dunta was spelled wrong and it was killing me.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Daunte Robinson is frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley View Post
I don't blame him. He is one of two defensive players on this team that are NFL starting caliber
IMO:
M. Williams - Not NFL starting caliber yet. needs time to develop
S. Payne - starter
T. Johnson - backup
Weaver - Starter (in a 3-4)
Greenwood - starter (i know I'll get flack for this, but he's a good role player at the will)
Orr - backup
Ryans - starter
Robinson - starter
Sanders - nickel
Earl - backup
Brown - special teams
Old 09-29-2006   #3
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Yeah, Greenwood is HORRIBLE!

Earl is ok for a SS but not teamed up with CC
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #4
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
Yeah, Greenwood is HORRIBLE!

Earl is ok for a SS but not teamed up with CC
How about moving dunta to FS and putting p buch at corner..then we would have 2 blasters at the S position. It cant get any worse right now it can only get better. I think dunta would make a great safety. IMO.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513 View Post
How about moving dunta to FS and putting p buch at corner..then we would have 2 blasters at the S position. It cant get any worse right now it can only get better. I think dunta would make a great safety. IMO.
no. dunta hasnt played safety so we'd be weakening 2 positions. besides, he would move back to corner once we acquired a legitimate centerfielder ... thus slowing down his learning process. because of his play, i think a lot of people forget that dunta's only 3 games into his 3rd season. give kubiak a year or two of drafts & FA's to get "his" players back there and we'll be just fine.
Old 09-30-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta Robinson is frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]] View Post
Our Linebackers cept Ryans stinks. Even Ryans is just so and so. I dont know how many times they were caught out of position or got totaly lost in the wash.

Maybe that a result ofthe D-line not holding thier part of the bargain, but they are yards away from the ball.
i think a lot of that has to do with wong & rainer being injured. i just dont like greenwood and orr is a more situational guy so we're thin at the position even before the injuries.
Old 09-30-2006   #7
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

I still say put Peek at OLB when he is healthy
Old 09-30-2006   #8
quicksilver
Overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]] View Post
Thing is that we cant really point out a specific place of weakness. D-Line or LB.

Something is horribly wrong. We look so bad in trying to Jam the middle. Too mnay holes.......... tooooooo many. Inside toss are owning us bad.
I think we can point out specific weaknesses. Mario needs focus and better technique, then Weaver can stop directing Mario before each play and focus for himself. We need better linebacker play on the right side. When either Johnson (Travis or Thomas) penetrated, we didn't have an LB follow up to stop Portis when he ran around whichever DT we had in their backfield. Ryans must learn to avoid or shed a blocking OL. We need a FS.
Old 09-30-2006   #9
gtexan02
Working?

I really don't think we are seeing Dunta right now. Like I said, the more frustrated you get, the worse you play. Look at what happened to A-Rod this year. Once a player starts trying really hard, andthinking about his game, it suffers.

Dunta will be back to his rookie style once we get the whole team worked out. I think mario will come around once he stops thinking too. Despite what he is saying publically, I think the media is really getting to him. He keeps saying "Coach tells me to do this" and "Coach tells me to do that" What that tells me is that he's not playing with instinct, and he's trying to do what the coaches tell him.

Once the players adjust and become more instinctual, the frustration should pass and we should see the talent come back.
Old 09-30-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So far, I think LB Safety has been our biggest problem. When they are taking completions made behind the line of scrimmage for 30 yard gains it's pathetic. If we can take those away, the QB will have to wait longer for plays to develop. Then we'll get more sacks.

This notion of the QBs having too much time is being blown out of porportion... it's flat out flase. On maybe 2 occasions a game, the QB will have more than 3 seconds to throw the ball. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect our back seven to cover for 3 seconds.

People want to criticize Kubiak for only rushing 4.... but when we are rushing 4, and the QB goes 22 of 23, that tells me we can't cover anybody.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #11
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
IMO this team is on a very slipperly slope. I know saying games are a must win is stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. If we don't win on Sunday, and worse yet if we don't at least keep it close, this team may give up. Everyone knew the early part of the season would be tough, but when the D gives up 100 yards mroe than any other team in the league its got to be demoralizing. Confidence plays a huge role in bringing out the best in players. Frustration, the worst.
Let's all sign a petition to get the Titans to fire Jeff Fisher. We could bring him back to Houston.

I was joking, but you know, that's not a bad idea.
Old 09-30-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Umm, the only receiver how was really burned him was Marvin Harrison. He dominated Reggie Brown and Santana Moss and was clearly the only good player we had out on the field on Sunday. In my opinion he is the best tackling CB in the league and probably Top 10 overall, you just cant always tell because of the players around him.
Old 09-30-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dunta is about to have a great game on Sunday. Pepp isn't what he was two years ago and Chris Chambers is Andre Johnson, but a few inches shorter.

I think we'll see some definite improvement from Dunta, seeing as how he faces two #1 WRs in practice.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
People want to criticize Kubiak for only rushing 4.... but when we are rushing 4, and the QB goes 22 of 23, that tells me we can't cover anybody.
That's ridiculous.

When you're rushing 4, but getting no pressure, eventually a receiver will get open and the QB will see him. Even if you have 2 Pro Bowl corners, and two Pro Bowl safeties, if you don't get pressure, you're gonna hang your secondary out to dry.

That's what's been so funny lately . . . watching this "debate" as to the real reason why the defense sucks. There shouldn't be any.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's ridiculous.

When you're rushing 4, but getting no pressure, eventually a receiver will get open and the QB will see him. Even if you have 2 Pro Bowl corners, and two Pro Bowl safeties, if you don't get pressure, you're gonna hang your secondary out to dry.

That's what's been so funny lately . . . watching this "debate" as to the real reason why the defense sucks. There shouldn't be any.
I'd modify that a little and say the cornerbacks should come up to the line more and stop the underneath pass - especially on 3rd and 5-7 yard type plays. It seems self-defeating to give the receiers a 10 or 15 yard buffer on those downs.
Old 09-30-2006   #16
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

If this team gives up, I'm starting the "get a refund" drive for the past 2 seasons tickets. Followed closely by the "Texans Two Dollar home games" where all beers (and soft drinks) are dropped to $2.

Texans - suck it up and play some friggin ball. HIT somebody.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope his confidence isn't permanently shattered like most of the players in our secondary.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I just hope his confidence isn't permanently shattered like most of the players in our secondary.
Just the secondary? You're optimistic.
Old 09-30-2006   #19
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I agree with moving Dunta to FS but think it should happen in the offseason under two conditions. 1. We draft a CB with our first pick and 2. we sign a high profile CB in free agency. This would allow Dunta to move to FS where he can better utilize his strength, tackling, and his average coverage skills becomes exceptional for his position. With 2 new corners and P-Buc, Lewis, and Faggins duking it out for the nickel and dime slots I think our horrid secondary becomes a strength.

Easier said than done though, I guess.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #20
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Is Greed View Post
I agree with moving Dunta to FS but think it should happen in the offseason under two conditions. 1. We draft a CB with our first pick and 2. we sign a high profile CB in free agency. This would allow Dunta to move to FS where he can better utilize his strength, tackling, and his average coverage skills becomes exceptional for his position. With 2 new corners and P-Buc, Lewis, and Faggins duking it out for the nickel and dime slots I think our horrid secondary becomes a strength.

Easier said than done though, I guess.

What makes you think that this new 1st round corner is going to be any better than 1st round corner Buchanon and 1st round corner Robinson???
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read