Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2006   #1
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Week 3 With no Rose-Coloured Glasses

Optimism was high as David Carr drove the team down to an early score. However, Washington drove right back and tied it up. I wondered how the team would respond.

Now I know.

Iíve put off writing this until Thursday, because I honestly didnít know what to write. Who is responsible for the attrocious defensive play that resulted in yet another heart-breaking loss, this time at the hands of the Washington Redskins?

Generally, I would put that decision in the hands of management. Iím not the guy who determines who plays and who doesnít play, Iím not paying anyoneís paycheque, my annual fieldpass subscription aside. I have my opinions as to who has played well and who has not played well, but as I said, I will defer to the experts who hold the clipboards, parse videotape, know what people are supposed to be doing, and get to make these decisions.

That said, those people have said that they accept the blame for this debacle. I refuse to follow my initial instinct and see it as the coaches throwing themselves on the grenade of scrutiny. If Gary Kubiak accepts the blame for the urine-poor play of the team, then heís to blame. Iím still going to think that Ceandris Brown, Thomas ďBig YardsĒ Johnson, Mario Williams, Morlon Greenwood and various others on the defense need to step it up big-time, but I donít blame them for the loss.

That falls squarely on the coaches. If they are not properly preparing the players to play, which is basically what theyíve been saying, then they need to change their approach. If they canít get the team ready to play, then they should be replaced.

I realize that replacing the coaching staff mid-season in their first year is not realistic, itís harsh and itís unfair. And Iím not going to carve Kubiakís name into a piece of pink soap, but Kubiak himself has said that heís failing. Iím not going to blame the players that this coaching staff thought were good enough to play. If theyíre not good enough, they shouldnít have made the team. And I refuse to believe that this team is so across-the-board bad that setting bad yardage records is, not only in reach, but seeming like an inevitability.

If the players are not good enough to play, Kubiak should not be taking the blame for preparedness, and I donít think he would. In my opinion, it looks bad on him (not that anything in an 0-3 start with 450+ yards against/game would look good) but itís not classy, itís arrogant, to think that heís bulletproof enough to be able to take the blame and keep going.

Enough with the negativity.

THE GOOD
David Carr continued to improve, in my opinion. Despite what sounded like heavy pressure, he was sacked only once, and threw what sounded like a pressure interception. (Andre Ware said, anyway, that he didnít have room to step up)
Shantee Orr could have had a defensive score.
Glenn Earl continued his goal-line stalking ways. He was an overturned call away from another turnover in the red-zone. (That puts him at 1 with 2 taken away) Heís starting to emerge as more than a solid starter, I think. People who have seen the games can feel free to disagree, of course.
Andre Johnson had a MONSTER game. Itís nice to see him doing what heís supposed to be doing. He sounds like a man among boys, as it should be.
Mark Bruener got ANOTHER touchdown catch. I like that. Not quite as much as I would like to see Joppru in there, but itís not like Jop would have gotten more points for the touchdowns.
Did anyone other than Dunta Robinson make a tackle in the second half? I swear, that guy was all over the field. Looks like he was embarrassed by his effort in the week before.

THE BAD
Thomas Johnson. Did this guy get cut? I donít like him. I hear he has good work-ethic but COME ON! We lost six points and probably gave up a scoring drive on two of his antics. Iím tired of him.
22/22 Ė Canít we get an incompletion? Canít we hit him as heís throwing to knock it off-line? GOOD GOD, DEFENSE, yell while heís throwing, at least!
30-yard draw-play. I have no way of telling whose fault this was by the play-by-play on the radio, so I choose to blame EVERYONE.
91,74,82,70 Ė these were the drives that resulted in touchdowns. Make a freaking stop. We donít need 3-and-out every time, but what about 5-and-out, 8-and-out, something?!

I think Houston can beat Miami on Sunday. Whether they will or not, Iím not sure. Iíll be there, though, listening, loving it, and hoping for Houston.

GO TEXANS!
Old 09-28-2006   #2
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: Week 3 With no Rose-Coloured Glasses

yep, the fact that we are the worst team in the league at 3rd down conversion defensively is the glaring stat. you just arent gonna win many like that. It's freaky, it's like we lose the playbook on 3rd down or something. I think Smith should be given notice: produce or pack your bags
Old 09-28-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read.

Hey just a quick question, are you Stone Cold Steve Austin?

If so just give us a Hell Ya, clink a few beers, and give Richard Smith the Stone Cold Stunner. He could use a wake up call.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #4
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah. I'm not Stone Cold. I got that a lot when I was in University, but it's died down in recent years.

I'm what Stone Cold Steve Austin would look like if he really drank as much beer as he pretends to.
Old 09-28-2006   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have gone through the 2005 box scores, and you know what, this team hasn't really changed, except the difference is the defense is worse and David Carr has increased his completion % and a couple more touchdown throws a game in the first three games of the season.

The rushing game hasn't change that much. The 2005 average per rush was 4.5 and now it looks like it is 3.9. The Texans are averaging 7 fewer rushing attempts this year compared to all of 2005.

In support of Carr, the arguement is the defense is so bad that playing from behind Carr has no chance. However, he still has about the same number of attempts per game like last year, which is about 25. You would think with the Texans behind, he would have like 40 attempts or some crazy number. They are not getting first downs, so he isn't getting those attempts. Getting first downs, that has been a consistent problem for this offense going back to the 2004 season, that hasn't changed.

Carr is still throwing between 20-25 attempts game and getting around 200 yards passing, in those categories Carr is the same as 2005.

My point is, the defense is really just worse and the offense is about the same (the stats are just moved around a little, the offense is still scoring in the mid-teens on average). David Carr's stats are better because of a better completion % and a few touchdown throws, but beyond that, this is the same old offense. Oh, David Carr has been sacked a lot less this season thus far, which is good news..

Until I see a change on offense that shows they can do a little more with the ball for an entire game and get some first downs, I really don't see much to look forward to this season. Why? Because the defense is so horrible, I don't see how you fix that in game or two. The offense has to pick up some slack to make these games competitive.

Things can change quickly in the NFL, but I am not going to expect more from the Texans than what they have shown the first three games (I could go back to the middle of the 2004 season for that matter) of the season until they prove they are better than that.

So, against the Dolphins, expect this:

Dolphins - 27
Texans - 17

Carr
att 27
comp 29
yards 212
td 2
int 1

rushing yards 95

defense - played better, bended, but didn't cave everytime. Give up 400 yards of total offense.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #6
hadaad
All Pro

Good post, Hollywood.

I would suggest that the woes of the defense are having a bigger impact than just them giving up yards. You might consider this reaching, but I think that a lack of confidence in the defense has caused tension in the offense. As in, if they don't do everything perfectly, they'll have to turn the game over to the defense, which is just like giving up a score. So, instead of playing loose, letting the little things happen and taking what they can get, they're trying to make sure that every little thing is covered, and then they fumble snaps, they drop balls, things that should seem routine and that are drilled into them every day, they just can't relax and let them happen.

I'll always say, you can feel free to disagree with me, but that is what I see from the offense. I think they're on the verge of doing great things. They're clicking and when they can relax and let the game come to them, like in the first drive, or when they're out of the game, basically, they move almost at will. It's when the defense goes into "here we go again" mode, that the offense seems to just let little things get away from them.

Then again, I like our offense a lot more than our defense, so maybe I'm biased.

Personally, I think that the whole defense, whether they get burned or not, is going to come out with fire in their eyes and try their hardest to get after Culpepper. It was said that last week was the real test, since Indianapolis and Philadelphia have such strong teams, but I think that the true character of this Texans defense will show (good or bad) against the Dolphins, after getting brutally embarrassed against a team whose offense wasn't supposed to be that good.

I hope they're up to the challenge this week. I'll be severely disappointed if they're hanging their heads early in this game.
Old 09-28-2006   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I hope they're up to the challenge this week. I'll be severely disappointed if they're hanging their heads early in this game.
I hope they are up to the challenge too.

If they lose to the Dolphins, and even worse they get their butts handed to them again, it doesn't look like the schedule is going to be that helpful for them. After the Dolphins, 7 of 10 are on the road.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2006   #8
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Good read.

Hey just a quick question, are you Stone Cold Steve Austin?

If so just give us a Hell Ya, clink a few beers, and give Richard Smith the Stone Cold Stunner. He could use a wake up call.
I just want to brag right here that I messed around with his exewife that he beat. Yeah im only 21, but she is not a bad lookin lady for 40+

wooooo
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #9
sleepwalker
Veteran

Quote:
Good post, Hollywood.

I would suggest that the woes of the defense are having a bigger impact than just them giving up yards. You might consider this reaching, but I think that a lack of confidence in the defense has caused tension in the offense. As in, if they don't do everything perfectly, they'll have to turn the game over to the defense, which is just like giving up a score. So, instead of playing loose, letting the little things happen and taking what they can get, they're trying to make sure that every little thing is covered, and then they fumble snaps, they drop balls, things that should seem routine and that are drilled into them every day, they just can't relax and let them happen.

I feel the same way...I also believe that there is some genuine hatred and finger pointing between players that must be worked out.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Good post, Hollywood.

Why would they think that?? The Defense gave them the ball twice with a score of 14-7........ the offense gave it right back, the same way. We forced two punts in the first half, and held the offense to 10 points in the second..... our offense scored 8.

If anything, the pressure is on the defense to play to a higher standard.... & so you have everybody biting on the play action...... everybody dropping into deep coverage, and everybody trying to play everybody elses position.... that, IMHO, is only a small part of our defensive problem. There were a couple of plays we rushed 3 men, dropped everybody back into coverage, and they still completed a pass for a first down.
Quote:
I'll always say, you can feel free to disagree with me, but that is what I see from the offense. I think they're on the verge of doing great things. They're clicking and when they can relax and let the game come to them, like in the first drive, or when they're out of the game, basically, they move almost at will. It's when the defense goes into "here we go again" mode, that the offense seems to just let little things get away from them.
Our longest offensive possession was 4:14.... our second was 3:40... we never got into fieldgoal range.....
Quote:
Then again, I like our offense a lot more than our defense, so maybe I'm biased.

Personally, I think that the whole defense, whether they get burned or not, is going to come out with fire in their eyes and try their hardest to get after Culpepper. It was said that last week was the real test, since Indianapolis and Philadelphia have such strong teams, but I think that the true character of this Texans defense will show (good or bad) against the Dolphins, after getting brutally embarrassed against a team whose offense wasn't supposed to be that good.
The Dolphins pretty much look like the Redskins..... good to great defense, and a struggling offense. Usually, when a struggling offense(Miami) meets a poor defense(Houston), things get out of hand.
When a struggling offense(Houston) goes against a good to great defense(Miami), people blame the defense for the loss.
Quote:
I'm excited, that Mario mentioned the same thing about his game, that we've been mentioning here..... about thinking too much, and not playing mean enough. I've been watching his highlight clips on the net lately, and I've been reading the scouting reports.... & we haven't seen that guy on the field yet.

did you know he was a swing player at NC State?? he played DT & DE for the WolfPack.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #11
DallasNiner
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 DallasNiner is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDallasNiner is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I just can't believe Mark Brunell got the record for consecutive completions against you guys. It's Mark Brunell.
Old 09-30-2006   #12
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasNiner View Post
I just can't believe Mark Brunell got the record for consecutive completions against you guys. It's Mark Brunell.
Oh, yeah? Well I can't believe you guys didn't throw the game last year. It's Reggie Bush.
Old 09-30-2006   #13
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterticket View Post
Oh, yeah? Well I can't believe you guys didn't throw the game last year. It's Reggie Bush.
I wish Reggie Bush were here averaging less than 4 yards a carry with 0 rushing touchdowns. That guy is really turning heads with his gaudy stats.

ďEvery man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.Ē -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read