Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2006   #1
sleepwalker
Veteran

Default Dom Capers and Nick Saban

I just read that Capers will do most of the play calling Sunday.

Nobody knows Carr better than Capers...Should be very interesting, even if our defense gives up another 500 yrds.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #2
Nbkan
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Nbkan Send a message via AIM to Nbkan Send a message via MSN to Nbkan
Default Re: Dom Capers and Nick Saban

I wish I could go out and tackle Capers.
Old 09-26-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just listened to McLame on the Chronic's web site and he said that the defense they use is Sabans and not Doms. Interesting. Seems Saban wants his and Dom can a couple of wrinkels, but not operate like it's "Blitzburg" all over. This could be good news as Dom is one heck of a DC and has had a boatload of sucess with HIS defenses.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #4
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr has improved a lot since Capers coached him last. They are the least of our worries. Gotta get our D all on the same page !!!! and show some blitzes :brickwall
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #5
Cruuuuuuuz
Veteran

Does the NFL and it's schedulers plan this drama or what?
The NFL is becoming more like pro wrestling everyday!
Cruuuuuuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Just listened to McLame on the Chronic's web site and he said that the defense they use is Sabans and not Doms. Interesting. Seems Saban wants his and Dom can a couple of wrinkels, but not operate like it's "Blitzburg" all over. This could be good news as Dom is one heck of a DC and has had a boatload of sucess with HIS defenses.
Ironic that he has to accept a situation that is the polar opposite of what he set up for Fangio. Look for more blitzing than usual Sunday...as stated above, Dom knows DC.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr knows Dom Capers and the 3-4 defense. I see him utlizing his passing attack this weekend as the Dolphins have a bad secondary. We need to win the line battle in this game desperately.

As for Culpepper, he has been struggling against the blitz all year so we should be looking to throw DeMeco in his face and hopefully other linebackers like Greenwood can get in his face.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2006   #8
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Carr knows Dom Capers and the 3-4 defense. I see him utlizing his passing attack this weekend as the Dolphins have a bad secondary. We need to win the line battle in this game desperately.

As for Culpepper, he has been struggling against the blitz all year so we should be looking to throw DeMeco in his face and hopefully other linebackers like Greenwood can get in his face.
I thought Miami ran the 4-3, but found out they run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 and switch off. It should be an interesting game if our D shows up........
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

They seem to be using Jason Taylor all over the place. Look for him to exploit our tackles....probably both of them at different times. The Bills only had 66 net yards in the air and 105 on the ground. They have the ability to play very well.

Old 09-27-2006   #10
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

well it could be a VERY interesting game. I wish i was a bug on the wall in coach meetings between kubiak and smith. either they change up the "let the front 4 handle the pressure" gameplan, in wich cullpepper will run for his life the whole game. or we go status quo and daunte will look like he's ready for the hall of fame with 400 yards passing. if that happens I see a new DC after the biweek. either way it will be a defining moment for the team this sunday.
Old 09-27-2006   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They seem to be using Jason Taylor all over the place. Look for him to exploit our tackles....probably both of them at different times. The Bills only had 66 net yards in the air and 105 on the ground. They have the ability to play very well.
I really expect Taylor to have a field day against Salaam. I'm hoping that Kubiak leaves a TE over there to help him most of the time, but as you mentioned they've used Taylor all over the place moving him from one DE spot to the other, putting him in the middle, standing him up like a LB, etc. Honestly they may not need to blitz to get a ton of pressure on Carr, but I'm sure they'll do it anyway.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
well it could be a VERY interesting game. I wish i was a bug on the wall in coach meetings between kubiak and smith. either they change up the "let the front 4 handle the pressure" gameplan, in wich cullpepper will run for his life the whole game. or we go status quo and daunte will look like he's ready for the hall of fame with 400 yards passing. if that happens I see a new DC after the biweek. either way it will be a defining moment for the team this sunday.

I agree TK, hopefully we will bring it, and bring it hard! As to the other post on here about Miami running a 4-3/3-4 hybrid, weren't we supposed to run some form of that this year? IIRC, I thought I heard something about that in the preseason.
Old 09-27-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Saban's defense last year too, when Muschamp and Smith were there as co-coordinators.

I recall Muschamp saying something like "it will be good to call my own game" or "do my own thing" or something to that effect when he took the Auburn job.

Last edited by aj.; 09-27-2006 at 07:07 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #14
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just think it will do wonders for our team's confidence if we can go out there and get a "W" in a dominating manner. I just hope that we don't have a situation like we did last Sunday where we have an anemic team come in and look like a super bowl contender against us. That could hurt us more than anything else at this point in the season where our team is still trying to find an identity and show themselves that they can go out and compete with other NFL teams, IMO.
Old 09-27-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the defense has disappointed so far. we can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and our safety play is atrocious. jason allen needs to start soon. jason taylor is all over the place, but hasn't really made an impact yet. i don't know how much dom capers will help against the texans, since it's not the same defense he ran in houston and you guys aren't running the same offense he saw under his watch.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Ironic that he has to accept a situation that is the polar opposite of what he set up for Fangio. Look for more blitzing than usual Sunday...as stated above, Dom knows DC.
He knows the sacked DC, the UN coached DC, the old DC................Not the one with 6 tds and only 1 pick, completing 72% and is 7 in the league in yards per attempt.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the defense has disappointed so far. we can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and our safety play is atrocious. jason allen needs to start soon. jason taylor is all over the place, but hasn't really made an impact yet. i don't know how much dom capers will help against the texans, since it's not the same defense he ran in houston and you guys aren't running the same offense he saw under his watch.
Sounds pretty much like us. I suspect that these two teams are pretty well matched, but IMO the Fish have more overall talent.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #18
SESupergenius

I've always been under the impression that a good 3-4 defense always is the West Coast offenses Achilles Heal, it tends to do well against it. This will be one interesting game for Carr and Kubiak. I think that Capers has a lot of talent on that defense and that our team is going to struggle.
Old 09-27-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I always thought the opposite. 3-4 teams have a quicker front 7 and WCO's take 3 step drops and do a ton of short passing. Just push the 3 linemen to take up the 5 O linemen and the extra linebacker helps cover the slant and in the flat. Send the extra rusher from different places at different times.

Old 09-27-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

We're going to get blitzed by every team, and on the majority of downs regardless of distance or circumstance.

No running game, or at least not one where our coaches stick with it regardless of how far behind or how far ahead we might be, equals increased passing situations which equals DBs jamming our WRs and a blitz that hurries a throw, usually resulting in short yardage passes.

The stat that showed Gibbs as being 118-20 (or something like that) when he rushes 30+ times a game is very telling: You wear down the opponent with the run, you wear down the clock with the run, and you just basically gain control of the field and the entire flow of the game by keeping your offense out on the field and the defense becomes weakened and susceptible to 30-yd. TD runs that were only called to get a good spot for a FG in the first place.

I hate to sound like the Israelites as they complained against Moses for him dragging them away from Egypt "just die in the desert," but at least the previous Texans team had a running game that could produce a few big plays here and there.

Don't anyone dare say that DD was not a top tier RB or something less than stellar when he was playing for us. Pretty much seeing his impact through the first three games where the running game is resulting in opponents' defense blitzing us on a regular basis.

And that's what Capers will do. Blitz the crud out of us.

And "Yes," Vinny you are right: Very ironic that Capers' man in Fangio would not blitz and yet Capers' is going to do the thing to us that his Texans defenses would not do to others: Blitz heavy.

Call me silly, but I want this win more than I want the win against the Cowboys or the Titans/Jags. I want to beat Capers, and I want to beat him badly.

So here's to Kubiak: Pleas gameplan for the blitz. Get those TEs involved. Get that pass-to-the-RB-as-a-way-to-run-the-ball attitude going like we had done in the preseason. Keep the Dolphins offense off the field and get them worried on covering the ball carrier and not focused on blitzing the QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read