Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2006   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Jim Bates

I heard that we could have hired Jim Bates as a defensive Coordinator, but Mr. Bates demanded that he be able to hire his own defensive assistants. If this is true Kubiak should be ashamed of himself for letting his own ego get in the way of his success as a head coach. So what if Bates is allowed to hire his own guys. I don't understand why Kubiak couldn't have come to some sort of an agreement wherein he allowed Bates to hire them on the condition that if they weren't getting the job done Kubiak could fire those that weren't performing up to Kubiak's expectations and replace them with someone who would. As far as I know Jim Bates is still available.
Old 09-26-2006   #2
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I heard that we could have hired Jim Bates as a defensive Coordinator, but Mr. Bates demanded that he be able to hire his own defensive assistants. If this is true Kubiak should be ashamed of himself for letting his own ego get in the way of his success as a head coach. So what if Bates is allowed to hire his own guys. I don't understand why Kubiak couldn't have come to some sort of an agreement wherein he allowed Bates to hire them on the condition that if they weren't getting the job done Kubiak could fire those that weren't performing up to Kubiak's expectations and replace them with someone who would. As far as I know Jim Bates is still available.
So many new head coaches this year with so many new DCs.

I wonder why Bates is still available?
Old 09-26-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bates came off as a controll freak head case in the interview from what I heard. Even worse than a bad defense would be desension and bad feelings on the coaching staff.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
As far as I know Jim Bates is still available.
So the Texans weren't the only team to pass him by?
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

We have already seen what can happen when a guy hires his friends.
Old 09-27-2006   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Because McNair had already decided that Hoke was staying and that was that. Bates also was already being paid for the season, and working for the Texans could hurt his chances of getting a HC job more than not working for anyone. (Have you watch the team play the last 19 games, he might have known something we didn't).

This was about Bates choice not Kubiaks.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #7
Heywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Bates came off as a controll freak head case in the interview from what I heard. Even worse than a bad defense would be desension and bad feelings on the coaching staff.

even worse is your refusal to mix in a spell check.

indeed, master bates would have threatened kubiak's ego.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2006   #8
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
even worse is your refusal to mix in a spell check.

indeed, master bates would have threatened kubiak's ego.

I've seen a couple of other posts that mention Kubiaks' ego.

All head coaches of NFL teams are very well compensated. They are now at the top of their profession and I am sure egos' can be massaged because of this.

When has Kubiak demonstrated an inflated ego? I haven't noticed this.

Just asking.

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 09-27-2006 at 09:08 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is Jim Bates' bio:

link

He gets paid $900,000 by the Packers if he sits out this season.

Reports were that he wanted to be paid head coach money for being a DC, and also total control of his staff.

Given Kubiak and Sherman's relationship, I am guessing that if Sherman was high on Bates, Bates would have been hired. But that is a total guess.
Old 09-27-2006   #10
BlueThunder
Veteran

Thats one of the DC's I suggested.I was also wanting to try to hook Wannstedt and Campo into the picture as all part of the new 43 staff.Any one of these coaches can do the job.The problem is we took a different route and have to live with that dicision.

Campo and Wannstedt have had head coaching experence but never succeeded because of lack of offense.I just thought with the chances they blew as head coaches that they could take a back seat and have good input for a new young coach without have different ambitions of taking the head job..There not old and I just thought with there easy coaching methods would jell with Kubs and be an asset more then a distraction for the young head coach..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 09-27-2006 at 01:32 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
Thats one of the DC's I suggested.I was also wanting to try to hook Wannstedt and Campo into the picture as all part of the new 43 staff.Any one of these coaches can do the job.The problem is we took a different route and have to live with that dicision.
Bates I say meh to.

By the time we were looking, there weren't too many options. Bygones.

During week 10ish or so, start compiling a list of great DCs who might actually be interested in this job if we piled up a ton of money and made them assistant head coach, defense.
Old 09-27-2006   #12
BlueThunder
Veteran

Did you try Dave Campo?He has never been a greedy coach and may be the best out there.The guy has done nothing but field top ten units.He's sitting over in Jacksonville coaching the secondary and there he goes again.If you haven't noticed the Jags have had one of the best secondarys since he's been there.He's getting the personal and talent now and there only going to get better..From Head coach to secondary coach and he's just happy to have a little part.Campo don't like moving his family and thats one thing that makes him a resonable coach to contract.I'm sure the Texans could premote him from DBs coach
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
Did you try Dave Campo?He has never been a greedy coach and may be the best out there.The guy has done nothing but field top ten units.He's sitting over in Jacksonville coaching the secondary and there he goes again.If you haven't noticed the Jags have had one of the best secondarys since he's been there.He's getting the personal and talent now and there only going to get better..From Head coach to secondary coach and he's just happy to have a little part.Campo don't like moving his family and thats one thing that makes him a resonable coach to contract.I'm sure the Texans could premote him from DBs coach
I am sure at the end of the year there will be a list of any number of guys we should target. Given our circumstances right now, we are stuck.

The best guy would be someone that you could just hand the defense to, and assume things would be done right.

Every moment that Kubiak has to babysit the defense means he can't help the offense (and it is hard to say how out of his element he is). An offensive minded coach NEEDS a stud defensive coordinator, and didn't get one. McNair will pay for someone, but that someone has to be attracted to fixing this team--right now, the franchise is a career killer with the benefit of no state income tax.
Old 09-27-2006   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
but that someone has to be attracted to fixing this team--right now, the franchise is a career killer with the benefit of no state income tax.
Very well said. I think most on this board have lost sight of this. But coaches have not.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A head coach should be allowed to choose all the assistant coaches he wants too. That's part of a head coaches job. If Kubiak hired Bates and he let Bates bring in his own coaches Kubiak really isn't the head coach. He's letting Bates have total control of the defense. I think Bates probably has a bigger ego than Kubiak in this case. It's easy to say Kubiak could have hired this guy and allowed him to bring in the coaches with some sort of condition, but we don't know how the interview went or what kind of guy Jim Bates is. And like others said, many other teams passed on Bates as well. So it's not as if the Texans are all alone on this one.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Well he's still working on the Mario hand thingy. He gets that fixed, I'm on board. Smith is not the problem though. Makes you fell better fine by me. What's the old saying about chicken salad and chicken poop ?
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well he's still working on the Mario hand thingy. He gets that fixed, I'm on board. Smith is not the problem though. Makes you feel better fine by me. What's the old saying about chicken salad and chicken poop ?
got the spelling corrected mods
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #18
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Every moment that Kubiak has to babysit the defense means he can't help the offense (and it is hard to say how out of his element he is). An offensive minded coach NEEDS a stud defensive coordinator, and didn't get one.
TC, While I agree with what you are saying sometimes the problem is that an offensive minded coach is afraid to let the defense attack. Because they see the world through the eyes of a QB and an attacking defense has "holes".

I would lay more of the blame of the defense on Kubiak instead of Smith. I believe that Smith had more control over the gameplan in the preseason and that is why we were attacking more. I think that once Kubiak allows Smith a little more freedom to do his job we will be much better off.
Old 09-28-2006   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Because McNair had already decided that Hoke was staying and that was that. Bates also was already being paid for the season, and working for the Texans could hurt his chances of getting a HC job more than not working for anyone. (Have you watch the team play the last 19 games, he might have known something we didn't).

This was about Bates choice not Kubiaks.
McNair is a moron. He needs to stay out of these decisions or the trend of brain dead decisions will continue. Personally, I think McNair is just another dumb rich guy whose ego needed a boost so he bought a football team. Every decision McNair has made has been wrong, except maybe hiring Kubiak because the jury is still out on that. He needs to sign the checks and go play golf and stay the hell out of the football operations. He is no better than Bud was, and that is the honest truth. At least Bud provided us a quality product 9 times out of 10.....

doug ftw
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #20
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
He is no better than Bud was, and that is the honest truth. At least Bud provided us a quality product 9 times out of 10.....

doug ftw

The fact is the Oilers were in Houston for 36 years and made the playoffs 14 times. There best record was 12-4 and there worst was 0-8-1. Yes there were some good years but 22 of the 36 years there were no playoffs. Hardly 9 out of 10. I am glad to have Bob over Bud.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read