Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2006   #1
Careener
noob

Default What About the Fans?

I think one of the Texans’ biggest problems is that they don’t show much concern for the wishes of their fans. They seem to think we’re there for the privilege of watching what they’re doing (struggling to win games) whereas they should instead be focusing on giving us what we want to see (good football and entertainment and, hopefully, wins). That way, we can still be reasonably entertained and share in the responsibility even if their performance isn’t the greatest.

My guess is that a majority of fans were not enthused about Carr returning this year. Anyone watching last season would have known that the roof would have blown off the stadium with cheers if they had taken Carr out for a while to see if a back-up quarterback could do better. That situation may return soon.

There’s no doubt that fans were alienated big-time by the Mario-over-Bush decision and there was a sizeable element (though not a majority) that would have preferred Vince Young. The Mario decision seems just as insane now as it did when it happened, even though he may yet do great things.

There are other things, as well, such as traffic, parking, concession stand lines, club seats that are so overpriced that that section is sparsely attended, etc., that diminish the game experience. I have shelled out big bucks for PSLs and season tickets for my whole family and I’m worried that this season will be another big downer like it was last year. I want wins but I’d settle for a good show, valiant efforts, positive team spirit, visible goodwill toward the fans and smart-appearing decisions that make the fans feel like the team is on the right track.
Careener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #2
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea maybe if his rating drops a little maybe 20 pts, O Waite that still puts him in the 90's.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #3
Big J
Rookie

Default I agree to an Extent

Bob McNair is focused on one thing and that is bringing a superbowl victory to Houston. While I feel that every fan wants to realize that goal, the issue has become what sacrifices we (the fans) must make in order to achieve it.

As a Business man, Mr. McNair should understand that the bottom line is making a product that satisfy's his customers. His decision to pick Mario Williams over Reggie Bush was a long term decision based on the coaching staff's/Casserly's opinion.

The short-term implications are we will suffer loses for another 2-3 years and have to deal with watching a team that looks like it would lose to Ohio State. (Joke)

Do I wish currently we had Reggie Bush. Of course. But if we can win the Super Bowl within the next 6 years, it will have been worth the wait.

At least most of you are in Houston...I have to deal with Indy/Bears/Bengals fans at my school. People laugh at me when I wear my AJ jersey. Hopefully we can have the last laugh.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #4
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 134324 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

1. The Texans and the fans want the same thing: To win football games.

2. I think David Carr is still a fan favorite.

3. Most people may have wanted Bush or Young, but I don't think "alienate"
is the right word.

We may be entertained by football, but it is about winning. We all want to win. Give me a shutdown D and a bland offense that does enough to win (Ravens Super Bowl team). We don't need the flash and dash. Just play with fundamentals. Everyone will be happy.
Old 09-26-2006   #5
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This might be one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3. Most people may have wanted Bush or Young, but I don't think "alienate"
is the right word.

We may be entertained by football, but it is about winning. We all want to win. Give me a shutdown D and a bland offense that does enough to win (Ravens Super Bowl team). We don't need the flash and dash. Just play with fundamentals. Everyone will be happy.
To the women
Old 09-26-2006   #7
caspian
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to caspian Send a message via AIM to caspian Send a message via MSN to caspian Send a message via Yahoo to caspian

Quote:
Not so...people will pay to watch certain players play whether they won or not. Barry Sanders, John Elway (early years), Michael Vick, Reggie Bush,...

Winning gets fans, sure...but, if you can't win, a freak superstar will get butts in the seats also.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2006   #8
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
Not so...people will pay to watch certain players play whether they won or not. Barry Sanders, John Elway (early years), Michael Vick, Reggie Bush,...
. . . native Houstonian Vince Young.
Old 09-26-2006   #9
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem View Post
. . . native Houstonian Vince Young.

Heyyyyyyy you're back ....... haven't heard from you since a few days before the draft ....... How was your Summer?
Old 09-26-2006   #10
Meisterman
Veteran

I'd prefer seeing Reggie Bush with the potential of breaking a big one ...over a DE getting manhandled by a TE and pushed 5 yards off the line of scrimage most of whole game.

In the words of Maximus "Are you not entertained?"....errr...not really.
Old 09-26-2006   #11
Wordem
Veteran

Default Re: What About the Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
How was your Summer?
Excellent, thank you.
Old 09-26-2006   #12
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 134324 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post

Winning gets fans, sure...but, if you can't win, a freak superstar will get butts in the seats also.
I'd rather win. You should ask the Texans what they would rather have.

To Wordem:

And just because a few people around here want Carr shipped off, doesn't mean he's not a fan favorite.
Old 09-26-2006   #13
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
And just because a few people around here want Carr shipped off, doesn't mean he's not a fan favorite.
A few???? That's funny.

The Houston Texans are the new New Orleans Saints.
Old 09-26-2006   #14
real

Quote:
Few People around here....Lots of people out there

Carr is not a fan favorite....period
Old 09-26-2006   #15
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

He is the QB of this team and I support him. We have many more glaring needs of this team, other than to bash Carr, who is one of 3 players on this team playing well.

Does he f*ck up, sure, but with a 0-3 record just about everyone is ******** up somewhere.

The team must improve, there is not one player in this league right now that you put in our starting line up on either side of the ball that makes this team a winner.

1) We all just wanted to see improvement, and in some areas we have. Carr is finally treating AJ like a #1 receiver and getting him the ball.

2) The team finally got us a weapon at #2 WR

3) We finally have a suitable ball hawk at MLB in Ryans to replace Sharper

4) TJ is finally playing with a mean streak and looking like a 1st round pick

5) We are finally getting the ball to the TE end position, something not seen since Billy Miller's exciting 02 season.

So there are some positives, but as everyone on this board knows we could all list 100 pages of bad things as well. But as the season goes, and as we hopefully and slowly add more positives to this list, the team will be making improvement

No one realisticly saw us making the SB this year, and we were the worst team in the NFL last year. So we have to slowly pull ourselves out of this funk, and we all know it is a long road to glory, but those days are coming. Just look at the growing pains Cinny went through all those years, laoding up on high 1st round picks and now look at the caliper team they have. Everyone wants to win now I know, but this is the point that this franchise is at right now. A new era is here, but we still have to take our knocks and go on.

just my .02
Old 09-26-2006   #16
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I don't think David Carr is the problem with this team. In fact I think he is paying the best football I have seen him play. Our problem is that we can't come up with the big plays on D like sacks and interceptions. Until we can create turn overs that help the offense that is still trying to find its way, we might have a chance to be competitive. Also, we need a runner.
Aztequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #17
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem View Post
A few???? That's funny.

The Houston Texans are the new New Orleans Saints.
WRONG!!! The new NO Saints are 3-0 we're the complete opposite of that.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #18
Mr. B
Rookie

With Regard to McNair and the team.

I am freinds with someone who does work for Mr. McNair (won't toss his name out here to get trashed). I cannot tell you if this is the truth or if he is bull****ting as it could go either way. But he said that McNair is not that interested so to speak about the Texans; yes as a business option but that's it.. He pretty much has the attitude that they will not do much this year.

He is more interested and happy with his Race horse and breeding operations.

Like I said can't confirm or deny but there it is.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #19
sleepwalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
I don't think David Carr is the problem with this team. In fact I think he is paying the best football I have seen him play. Our problem is that we can't come up with the big plays on D like sacks and interceptions. Until we can create turn overs that help the offense that is still trying to find its way, we might have a chance to be competitive. Also, we need a runner.
I totally agree, Carr is the #1 rated passer in the NFL after 3 games.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

sigh... I dont know why im going to bother replying in this thread.

Just want to point out that anyone dogging Carr at this point needs to go find a new team to troll. Your ignorant, blind, petty, and disloyal.

Criticism is fine. He hasnt been perfect after all. But anyone too foolish, or too stubborn, or just too immature to admit that he has looked VERY MUCH improved.. needs to just finish thier glass of haterade and go become a Colts fan with all the other fairweather lamers.

The Carr bashing has reached levels beyond annoying and ventured into the realm of the unbearably stupid.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read