Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2006   #1
[[Gary Kubiak]]

Default Your "one thing" we need to fix......

Too many things to fix, what would be your first priority?

1) Defensive line - They need to start playing as a unit. Move as a unit and close the holes. Linemen are getting between them and opening crazy holes. We even have linemen murdering our LBs
Old 09-26-2006   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

defensive coaching.

i'm to the point on defense that i was at with capers' offense. i dont care if we get beat, but atleast give full effort. we cant get to the quarterback, so blitz 15 guys if you have to. sure we get flagged and probably give up an 80 yard pass, but atleast we're doing SOMETHING to fix the problem. hell, the worst thing that happens is we get the offense back on the field. also, i like the tampa cover 2, but we dont have the talent or cohesiveness to pull it off yet. man up and jam. buchannon should be back, and along with dunta are two of the most athletic cb's in the league ... remove the thought process from their game and let their feet play defense. tie greenwood to a tightend and let the rest go qb hunting. tell mario that he's not allowed to get a tackle unless the qb is the one with the ball ... remove his thought process and unleash him. i'm exaggerating of course, but i want to see steps in a much more radical direction than we've experienced the past 4 years. being the worst defense in the league in every possible way this year, the worst thing that could happen is we accidently stumble onto something that works for us.
Old 09-26-2006   #3
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Lead, follow or get the heck out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
defensive coaching.

i'm to the point on defense that i was at with capers' offense. i dont care if we get beat, but atleast give full effort. we cant get to the quarterback, so blitz 15 guys if you have to. sure we get flagged and probably give up an 80 yard pass, but atleast we're doing SOMETHING to fix the problem. hell, the worst thing that happens is we get the offense back on the field. also, i like the tampa cover 2, but we dont have the talent or cohesiveness to pull it off yet. man up and jam. buchannon should be back, and along with dunta are two of the most athletic cb's in the league ... remove the thought process from their game and let their feet play defense. tie greenwood to a tightend and let the rest go qb hunting. tell mario that he's not allowed to get a tackle unless the qb is the one with the ball ... remove his thought process and unleash him. i'm exaggerating of course, but i want to see steps in a much more radical direction than we've experienced the past 4 years. being the worst defense in the league in every possible way this year, the worst thing that could happen is we accidently stumble onto something that works for us.

...there you go!...creative/innovative...make something happen! I like it...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #4
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I agree. They should have the aggressive playcalling on Defense that they warned us about.
It seems every year we are supposed to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. And every year we are dissappointed.
Old 09-26-2006   #5
real

I think we shouldn't have switched from the 3-4 if we were going to take Mario....He would be a perfect 3-4 DE....
Old 09-26-2006   #6
black00ls1
Rookie

Screw it lets get really crazy and bring old krusty Buddy Ryan to rebuild the defense and bring The House of Pain back to houston like he did with the Oilers!!!
black00ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #7
joshri
Rookie

We need to get Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson in the draft.........
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2006   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Yep, the definsive unit - whether it's the coaching or the attitude. They were all excited with the switch to the 4-3 because they didn't have to read and react, they could just attack and pressure.... well.... where is it?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86 View Post
It seems every year we are supposed to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. And every year we are dissappointed.
LOL, yup that's for sure. However, when have you ever head a DC say "We are going to play a passive defense". Sometimes I think they are delusional and actually think they are playing aggressive.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #10
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshri View Post
We need to get Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson in the draft.........
Unfortunately the NFL draft is seven months away, and unless Adrian Peterson can help the worst defense in the league, we don't need him.
Old 09-26-2006   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

One thing we need to fix... Hm. The Texans.
Old 09-26-2006   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Offensive line play. Specifically, run blocking. Besides opening up the passing game, that controls the clock, which gives the D time to rest. It's a domino effect that begins in the trenches and works its way out.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #13
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

defensive play callin, we need to blitz and blitz some more after that

and secondary is terrible, no one can tackle except for earl and robinson
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #14
Wordem
Veteran

Ideally, I would create a time machine, have the Texans travel back to April, and pick again.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #15
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

I agree with oso. After the offense goes 3 and out so many times, the D has absolutely NO time to rest. Scoring on the first series isn't the end of the world. Its the second or third series that really counts. And with long drives for the Defense, followed by a quick 3 and out from the offense will KILL your entire defense. It's almost like they are doing another conditioning drill out there.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your "one thing" we need to fix......

The running game would be my first priority. The Texans need to be able to run the ball. If it's the blocking I think they'll sort it out by mid-season and if it's lack of talent back there then I'd answer it with the draft (probably the first round).

If it's blocking then it's a harder problem to fix but with Spencer back (fingers crossed) and some more experience in the new system then I think it will come together. If it's RB talent then it's a quick fix. Draft Adrian Peterson and the problem is solved. Next problem?

I'm of the opinion that the defense is primarily a combination of experience (lack of) at key positions, coaching (again, lack of) from Richard Smith & Co., and some mediocre players in the secondary and at linebacker primarily. I think they get better as the season wears on but we're going to need at least one veteran player (I'm thinking CB) and a couple more starters out of the draft (FS and another LB) before we start to play right. The bodies are there on the DL, we're just not getting any production out of them. I'm not sure if our DL coach is getting it done.
Old 09-26-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

First and foremost, we need a leader on this team, especially on Defense. After that, RB and FS are what Smith should be looking for.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything on D. Our line has not gelled, and are not getting pressure. The LB core looks pitiful with the exception of demeco. The secondary cant cover anyone.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #19
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

to me...the pass is opening up the run for teams we play against. at least, that's the feeling i'm getting during the course of the game. i'd like to see the secondary sured up...somehow some way.
Old 09-26-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ...

defensive line.

If we cannot stop the run, and cannot put pressure on the opposing QB, we will continue to make mediocre QBs look like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana.

Out of 60+ offensive plays, the Redskins only had ONE for a loss...when they kneeled to kill the clock at the end of the game.

The epitome of pathetic.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read